Critique my buyer questionnaire please

Well then whoops, there goes the breed. I dont think you understand. there are exactly ZERO people in this breed who are health testing. if thats my requirement, right now, then nobody is allowed to breed and so sorry too bad so sad, no more American Bully
But if... you probably aren't going to be doing it (if she's bred before she's 2), and you won't require the stud's owner to do it... why are you asking about it on your questionnaire for puppy buyers? :confused:

ETA: Because "someone" who isn't you needs to start doing it right? :(

crazedACD

I have a lot to say but I have a feeling I will get an eye roll and I don't feel like typing it all out just to be dismissed :p.

I agree with Red-Chrome that I hope you are established in life by the time you breed, a month or two ago you said you couldn't afford soap, and a few months before that you were nearly homeless. What happens if you can't find homes for the puppies, or someone needs to return one or two down the road? Unless I'm mistaken about your situation, if you are renting no guarantee you will be able to house another bully breed.

Are any of these dogs shown or titled in anything? Why are you wanting to breed?

I think half of us would love to be breeding, just for the joy of contributing to our chosen breed, but time/money/space aspects prevent that. And we are willing to wait until it possible to do it right, with the right dogs. You could and should do it right. If there is truly no one out there doing health testing, you could be the first? Hips, elbows, and hearts. Find a few nice/promising dogs for sale, do some preliminary testing prior to purchase.

Don't just breed your dog because it has a uterus. Please.

I'm pretty sure everything said by this "breeder" about the politics of American bully breeders is the exact reason most people are all ewww American bullies. No one in the breed give a shat about the breeds longevity, health or functionality. WTF is the point of creating a breed from the get go to be as extreme as possible? And then add NO health testing on top of that? To see just how long it takes to breed a dog that is in so much pain in day to day life just from horrible conformation, let alone the genetic health problems.

But ya sit back and wonder why people think ewww American bully's and why they are as much a breed as a labradoodle.

momto8

She's not even two years old yet, so how do you already know she is worthy to breed/something you even want to breed? How do you know which dog is going to be the best to breed her to?
Probably pointless to post this...but I agree 100% with this statement!!

I have an intact dog and bitch, we are currently showing and will start coursing them next year. I do NOT have any initial breeding plans, but if i do decide to, neither of them will have anything done till they are at least 4 yrs old. So they can finish in the ring and on the field, pass all their appropriate health testing and be fully matured so we know what they will look like. at less than 2 your dog can not be tested for hips ect. get your bitch out there, show her, health test her and then come back to think about breeding her!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I haven't read the rest of the replies so bear with me here..

I would separate this question.
-
Do you have a fenced-in yard? If so, please describe it (size, height, type of fence – chain link, invisible, etc). If not, please describe how you plan to exercise your dog and keep him or her safe.
'
I think they should have to explain how they plan on exercising their dog REGARDLESS of fence. IMO the kind of puppy owners that are all "oh we have a yard, he doesn't really need walks" aren't exactly ideal..

-I would separate all "all you going to breed.." questions to a separate section. AKA: If you plan on breeding fill out section C) if not, continue to D.

-
Please describe all food, supplements and treats your puppy will be getting. If you don't know/don't remember names or brands, be as specific as you can.
(I would try to ask, but also mention you are willing to help and you have some guidelines for new puppy owners. This question would BALK the average dog owner)

-
If circumstances change and you are no longer able to care for your dog, would you be willing to return the dog to us?
I would personally change this to something more firm. "The _______ policy is that if you are unable to care for this puppy/dog, he returns to us. No matter what. Do you accept this policy?"
kind of thing. the question seems to leave room for maybe/yes/etc...

Some questions I think would be useful to add (stolen from Merlin's puppy questionnaire from his breeder lol so change aussie)

What Aussie characteristics appeal to you?

What reading/research have you done on Aussies?

What concerns do you have with getting an Aussie?

Describe your "PERFECT" dog:

What will the puppy's primary purpose be in your home?

What color do you prefer?

What sex do you prefer and why?

Do you prefer show or pet quality?

How would you handle puppy biting or nipping?

How would you handle puppy chasing inappropriately?

How would you handle puppy chewing inappropriately?

How would you handle puppy barking inappropriately?

How would you handle puppy digging inappropriately?

How would you discipline a bad puppy?

How would you reward good puppy behaviour?

PUPPY'S LIFE

Please describe a typical average day for your puppy

Where will your puppy live (Inside, outside or other)?

Where will your puppy sleep (Inside, outside or other)?

Where will your puppy stay when you go out of town?

How do you feel about the use of crates?

Have you house broken a puppy before?

Do you plan on attending puppy class? if so, Where?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't like the food question. I have honestly NO flipping clue what all my dogs will end up eating in their lifetimes. I go for what I like and feed a variety. I also don't want to sign anything or give my word that I won't use a certain type of food. If I need to feed a corn inclusive food (for example, maybe as a RX food or just if it works best), I want the freedom to choose for myself.

I also think that why did you decide on this breed and what do you want a dog for are two separate questions.

I think that you should ask how you plan to exercise the dog regardless of what kind of yard they have.

elegy

overdogged
But ya sit back and wonder why people think ewww American bully's and why they are as much a breed as a labradoodle.
I can at least find Labradoodle breeders who health test.

I can't imagine saying that hip or elbow dysplasia coming up in health testing wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm not touching the ethics of this breeding with a 10ft pole. :doh:

As someone who screens puppy applications and has bred (co-bred) three successful litters, I will say this: People lie on applications. People put what they think you want to hear. This is why our puppy questionnaire is fairly basic. Here are my opinions on your Puppy Qnaire:

1. Asking if the buyer has any disabilities (or if anyone in the buyer's family has disabilities) rubs me the wrong way. IMO that's not an appropriate question to ask, especially not on a questionnaire.

2. I wouldn't give a breeder my vet's contact info. That may just be my personal opinion, but still.

3. I wouldn't mention the "if you're planning on breeding... will you do health testing". That belongs in the contract, not the questionnaire. At least IMO.

4. The food question comes off as a bit controlling.

5. As a buyer, I wouldn't want to give the breeder written permission to forward all of the information on the questionnaire (as it currently stands) to other breeders.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I'm not touching the ethics of this breeding with a 10ft pole. :doh:

As someone who screens puppy applications and has bred (co-bred) three successful litters, I will say this: People lie on applications. People put what they think you want to hear. This is why our puppy questionnaire is fairly basic. Here are my opinions on your Puppy Qnaire:

1. Asking if the buyer has any disabilities (or if anyone in the buyer's family has disabilities) rubs me the wrong way. IMO that's not an appropriate question to ask, especially not on a questionnaire.

2. I wouldn't give a breeder my vet's contact info. That may just be my personal opinion, but still.

3. I wouldn't mention the "if you're planning on breeding... will you do health testing". That belongs in the contract, not the questionnaire. At least IMO.

4. The food question comes off as a bit controlling.

5. As a buyer, I wouldn't want to give the breeder written permission to forward all of the information on the questionnaire (as it currently stands) to other breeders.
So much yhis. Seriiousl.y

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Basing this on your other post...you really are drunk, aren't you? :rofl1:
Oh so much drunk fun ..a whole pint+ apple pie moonshine shots, candy cane vodka shots& fireball shots. Fell asleep by 4AM& now it's 8AM ..and I'm going to agility for 2hrs. Just kill me.
And I hilariously remember neither post ..and I'm genuinely not sure how I got the spammy question thing right.

Saeleofu

Oh so much drunk fun ..a whole pint+ apple pie moonshine shots, candy cane vodka shots& fireball shots. Fell asleep by 4AM& now it's 8AM ..and I'm going to agility for 2hrs. Just kill me.
And I hilariously remember neither post ..and I'm genuinely not sure how I got the spammy question thing right.
Bahahaha, I was wondering the same. I was only slightly drunk night before last (an appletini and a few screwdrivers) and I struggled with the questions ;)

noludoru

Bored Now.
I showed Zoom this thread and she read it aloud to me. With voices. It was even better than reading it on my own the first time.

Well then whoops, there goes the breed. I dont think you understand. there are exactly ZERO people in this breed who are health testing. if thats my requirement, right now, then nobody is allowed to breed and so sorry too bad so sad, no more Anerican Bullies.
It doesn't seem like you have any requirements for breeding.

And, as to the last bit. . . is that really a problem? I honestly feel like it isn't. I just googled a picture of the stud you want to use, and conformation-wise, I see nothing worth preserving for future generations of anything. Take a look at Kady's dogs. They're really nicely put together, healthy, athletic. American Bullies descended from nice dogs like that, and you somehow think it's an improvement? I don't understand how breeding wide, bow-legged, hulking, dysplastic dogs is an aesthetic to strive for or an improvement upon an APBT.

Edit: Certain people are displeased that I did not use the words "hippo" or "frog."

Don't just breed your dog because it has a uterus. Please.
This.

Last edited:

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
And stuff like this is why I'm glad I'm not into Bully breeds anymore. And people wonder why the bully breeds are in the state they're in with breeders like this.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I breed Gotti and Razors Edge American Bullies.
Would somebody please educate me... what is a gotti/razors edge american bully?

I strongly urge you place a deposit sooner rather than later, as four picks are already sold and I don't expect a large litter.
And since we are discussing puppy contracts.. I would highly discourage this. You want people to want a puppy because they are ready for a dog and like your breeding program... not because they feel rushed on a litter that isn't even bred

Also, I think it's a bad idea to sell puppies/give out picks/deposits on a litter that is kind of in the air.. it makes people feel pressured to get the dog (/not lose their deposit) even if in 3 years they aren't really ready/life happens.

Puppies aren't made to order. Promises, deposits, etc... are hard to keep, and frankly, I've never really liked the idea of them personally.

total puppy price is $1500-2000
:yikes: titles? health testing? puppies that will grow to poop gold? I'm sorry I just don't understand this price on dogs that are unhealth tested, proven, don't show, pups aren't leaving cropped, with a breeders first litter and a dam that has never had a litter at all.

This is where it started for me, this beautiful funny amazing Kittypie. I will never be eloquent enough to accurately describe what this dog, and her breed, means to me.
Touching but I would really try to put more here because honestly...that isn't much to go on. Especially without titles or health testing or really anything except a few pictures and a pedigree with no titles/health testing.

If I was getting a puppy from a breeder, I would be exceptionally turned off by that tiny description. ESPECIALLY Without titles/health clearances to prove temperament/structure (not that I would ever buy from a breeder that didn't do those things).. but without them, they HAVE NO IDEA what kind of dog she is and that description says nothing.

I am not touching the ethics of this breeding. You should be health testing and the stud dog and other dogs featured in that banner just wow... there really are no words.
But the above are a few things I would fix if you were planning on going through with this.

Would somebody please educate me... what is a gotti/razors edge american bully?
They're two of the most commonly perpetuated bloodlines in the American Bully, paper-hung from the beginning as "APBTs" but all actually crosses of multiple breeds (and not just the ones the original creators of the lines claim, which was APBT and AST).

breeders first litter and a dam that has never had a litter at all.
Oh, it's not her first litter. Her first litter was out of her bitch, Kitty, who she claimed to have been afraid of years ago due to her temperament, that her sire "Goofy Smacka" (also a structural trainwreck) was known to pass down to his offspring. Of course, after Kitty was bred, it was a "misunderstanding of her behavior." IMO, though, anyone who "misunderstands" dog behavior to the extent that they're afraid of and considering euthanizing a dog shouldn't be breeding dogs, anyway.

But it has a uterus. And it's tricolor. At least it isn't the paper-hung merle "Pit Bulls" the OP intended to start breeding originally, I guess?

One way to look at it, if they keep breeding they way they are, colour and style is all that matters the most extreme in both, not a care given about functioning conformation, health or temperament it will not be very many more generations
Before the breed is just so much of a genetic mess that people will stop buying them. And seriously who the eff is paying that much money for dogs from unhealthy tested dogs? Besides people who have to brag about how much they spent? My nephews bully that he bought from some guy for $500 is in a hell of oat better shape then any of the animals in that banner, except maybe that unicorn.

Members online