Found a Dog

Red.Apricot

I found a dog in my front yard today. She's a pretty, red, medium sized dog, with a collar and no tags. She's in a large crate in my garage right now. We've put up a craigslist ad, made fliers, and gone door-to-door. No luck so far. We're planning on seeing if she's chipped tomorrow.

She knows sit, down, come, and how to walk on a leash. She takes treats very gently, and is pretty clean and in shape. She doesn't seem super old, and she's not a baby. I doubt she's from far away, because when I went out to get her, I took some kibble. She turned that down, but snarfed the pork she was offered.

Anyone have any other advice for finding her family that we haven't tried yet?

I need her out of my garage fast--my boyfriend thinks she's great. :rofl1:

Red.Apricot

We've got an ad up on CL already. I did that within a minute of getting her into the garage, lol, while my boyfriend went door-to-door.

I'll call the non-emergency number in the morning. It's too late tonight.

Teal

...ice road...
Definitely tell the vets and animal control you've got her!

A dog showed up in the evening at a friend's house once while we were hanging out, but her landlord was coming by in the morning and they had a strict NO DOGS policy so I took her home. She was in good shape.. young, not skinny, well socialized, etc. I called the county animal control in the morning and gave them her description. Not twenty minutes later, I got a phone call from her owners! When I told them where she was found, they were SHOCKED - she was over 15 miles from home and had only been missing since the morning before (about 10 hours or so, around the time she made it to my friend's house).

~Tucker&Me~

Can I recommend not including a description of her in your ad? You can ask that people call to identify her just for her own safety and to make sure it really is her owners who are claiming her :)

MicksMom

Call local vets and shelters and tell them you have the dog!
Also ask your mail carrier and other delivery people if they recognize her. Also, ask anybody who walks the neighborhood regularly.

Can I recommend not including a description of her in your ad? You can ask that people call to identify her just for her own safety and to make sure it really is her owners who are claiming her :)
I second that, including the color of her collar.

Doberluv

Yes, definitely let them describe her. If the owners aren't found, do you think she'll become a member of your family? LOL. She sounds like a nice dog. I hope everything works out for her. And you!lol.

Red.Apricot

Yeah, my ad just said, "Found dog; April 12 at (location). Female, medium sized, collar, no tags. Email ______ or call _______."

I'll ask my mail carrier, and I'll call around to everyone today--great ideas!

We won't be keeping her. It'd be irresponsible right now. I'm looking for a job, my boyfriend's underemployed... we've got enough in savings for one-maybe-two dog emergencies. Adding a third dog wouldn't be right.

Finding her did make me take a sharpie to the inside of all of our dog's collars and harnesses, though. The collar-no-tags thing is irritating.

She got out of the (locked) crate in the middle of the night, and was chilling in our garage this morning, pleased as punch. That might explain something.

Terrible photo of Houdini dog.

Red.Apricot

Thanks. We're working on it.

She's so quiet and easy in the garage, though. If one of our two were out there, they'd be screaming their fool head off.

Found dog is silent.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I always hold back at least one obvious detail. For Pepper it was the spots on her tongue. I hope you find the owner soon, and that the owner is someone you want to find. Fingers crossed for happy endings.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Thanks. We're working on it.

She's so quiet and easy in the garage, though. If one of our two were out there, they'd be screaming their fool head off.

Found dog is silent.
Well she may still be trying to figure out if you're going to eat her. That whole honeymoon grace period thing ;)

"Ah iz perfect dawg plz letz be friends (p.s. I can haz cheezburger nao?)"

Red.Apricot

I always hold back at least one obvious detail. For Pepper it was the spots on her tongue. I hope you find the owner soon, and that the owner is someone you want to find. Fingers crossed for happy endings.
On the posters I made, I didn't mention her ears or her white chest blaze. :]

I called a lost dog poster, but it wasn't her.

Weirdly, I didn't mention the color of her collar in the CL ad, but all four people who responded were looking for dogs in pink collars. None fit her description, though. White-buff poodle mix, she is not. :[

"Ah iz perfect dawg plz letz be friends (p.s. I can haz cheezburger nao?)"
I do think that's what she's saying.

She also said, "I haz no interests in kibbles. Give me the chicken livers pls. I see that you havs them."

Red.Apricot

We just got back from that! We talked to everyone, but no one recognized her. All of my neighbors said they'd been meaning to come by and say hello, but wanted to let us get settled in first. We've lived here over a year. :D We went to the city chambers, but they were closed. Monday we'll go back there, and we put up more signs and stuff.

Now I need to call vets and stuff.

Good luck,hope she finds her home soon poor thing,and I hope her owners are the kind you'll want to send her home to!

Red.Apricot

I just got a hit off my flier--her name might be Scooby! Hopefully, her person is coming to get her right now! :D

Edit: That was her person! She's home now. She lives like two streets over.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Members online

No members online now.