Vet says dogs might get bladder stones?!?

Wyluli

Greetings everyone. I need some advice. I have two Pembroke Corgi fur factories. Kirby (red and white) is 8 years old and Fritz (tri-color) is 6 years old (but he acts like a puppy, dumb-nut).
They both had their annual shots and checkups which included bloodwork and urine tests.
The vet called and said that both dogs had "basic urine" and that it should be acidic. She also said Kirby had Alkaline phosphate crystals in his urine. They then stated that both dogs could end up with urinary bladder stones and that we should switch them to some special dog food, that they sell, to get rid of the crystals.
Now, I have to admit I hate it when vets want to sell you dog food. It seems like it is the next big money maker for them and they are always coming up with new "special" food that you should use for this or that and it makes me suspicious. Second, I want to make sure they are on good dog food (not assuming that just because it's from the vet and costs $100 a bag it is good for them). Third, I would like to know if there is something else I can do to help remedy this issue besides switch to another food that could be inferior to what they already eat.
Both dogs eat Wellness Super 5 mix complete health dog food and seem to do well on it. Kirby is sensative to food changes and always gets ear infections if we try to switch his food. Fritz can eat anything (and certainly tries too!). Both dogs also drink filtered water out of the reverse osmosis system we have. Neither dog has ever had any issues in the past with bloodwork, urine tests, etc....
What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
personally id get a second opinion from a different vet, preferably one who doesnt push sci-die.

i wouldnt change the food, 1 being youve got a sensitive dog, and 2 being the science diet is like feeinding your dog meat fat flavoed cardboard. wellness is good, id suggest trying to get them to drink more and avoid salty treats/snacks.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
There are also some homecooking options as well - I considered going this route when Ada had struvite crystals. We ended up trying a high protein grain free diet first, and so far it has kept the crystals away.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I'd go with the second opinion too -- I'd ask for a supplement to make the urine more acidic as opposed to the food doing so, especially since there are crystals present, but no outward signs of an issue. (I think the supplement is Methionine).

Wyluli

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to have to call the vet back and I'll ask if there is a supplement we can add to their diet to help with the issue.
Also eliminating doggie treats in favor or carrots and apples as treats in the hopes that that will help some too.

Wyluli

Vet still says switch the dog food

I talked to the vet about supplementing instead of changing food. They told me that this generally does not work and recommend changing the food. The food they want me to switch the boys to is Urinary SO by Royal Canine. So I came home and looked it up. Here is the ingredient list:

Ingredients:Rice, ground corn, chicken fat, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, natural flavors, dried egg powder, salt, cellulose powder, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid], trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

Now this looks like a pile of POOH to me. :eek: I'm not going to feed my dogs worthless (yet expensive...:yikes:) food to get rid of the crystals and then have them get no nutrition and end up with other problems.

I'm thinking about changing them to another dog food of good quality to see if that makes any difference. They are on the Wellness super 5 mix now and I was considering doing the Wellness Core food, which has no grains, to see if that would help.
The thing is, when looking up information on:
Fritz - Calcium Oxilate Crystals
Kirby - Alkaline Phosphate Crystals

I found that they can recommend low protein diets (which would mean low meat content which just seems wrong healthwise). The Wellness Core would have more protein because of the higher meat content.

I'm also confused because both dogs are on the same diet but seem to have opposite problems (It would appear one has acidic urine and the other non-acidic according to the vet diagnosis). I know different dogs, different makeup but seems odd to have two corgi's, same food, same treats, opposite PH LOL....

I'm confused as ever now. So tell me what you think?!?!

Thanks as always for your thoughts!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Yup, the food is crummy. I really wish they would re-examine the formulas of veterinary diets, as they do suit a purpose, but they're NOT GOOD!!

I really would consider a second opinion from a less "traditionally minded" vet who is more open to exploring alternative treatment options.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I don't have any suggestions, but I did want to add that I'm really glad you're doing your research first. I would really recommend against Royal Canin personally. I know a lot of people with GSDs who had them on their "GSD" food, and after switching to something different, their dogs look a LOT better.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Recently Whole Dog Journal has had a series of articles on urinary tract crystals - all the articles were chock full of great info. I would start there if I were you, especially since diet was discussed for all the different types of crystals.

My girl is 11yo and has basic urine with struvite crystals present. She had some other medical issues going on and was treated for a UTI so our vet (holistic practitioner) suggested retesting the urine a few weeks after the other issues resolved and in the meantime using cranberry and d-mannose supplementation to help acidify her urine and reduce the likelihood of another UTI. Maggie is 36lbs and our vet recommended giving half the adult human dose of both supplements. Maggie was xrayed to make sure no stones had developed yet and our vet isn't too concerned at this point.

Members online

No members online now.