Quiddich Stinks.

Literally. No matter what I do, Quiddiot has a very strong 'doggy' smell to him. At first I just thought that it was from lousy shelter food, but it's been 7 weeks, and he still smells bad.

He's been bathed, and it's not really a dirty smell, just very doggy. It was very noticable in the back room at my parents house after we stayed there for a few days.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with Gambit, because he never seems to smell, but it's really gross. Any suggestions?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No, but I'm interested.

Fred smells.

I guessed it was just a boy thing, Bodhi never smells.

Hounds always seem to have a very doggy smell to them for some reason. It could just be that's his scent unless he has some kind of food/skin allergy issue going on.

DJEtzel

Working at a dog park, we found out this year after testing our soil, that it was very acidic and was causing dogs to smell bad if they were wet and rolled on the dirt out here; the dogs that didn't roll smelled fine.

So does he roll? lol May be something to it. Definitely not a boy thing, all of mine smell normal!

Toller_08

No idea. The Dobermans stink too. In their case, it probably is because they do have a skin condition, but I don't know... I kind of think mine just stink regardless. Doesn't matter what they eat or what supplements they get either.

Somebody suggested that I spray them with diluted vinegar (white or ACV). It didn't work for me, but may be worth a try?

I feel for you though. It sucks having a stinky dog. I used to take pride in the fact that my house never smelled like dog. Pretty sure it does now, thanks to Keira (especially) and Ripley.

crazedACD

I always liked to use an antibacterial shampoo like the Rx shampoo Malaseb for oddly stinky dogs. I think Synergy Labs makes an OTC antibacterial shampoo.

Also making sure the dog isn't eating too much sugar (or on a low glycemic diet), perhaps it's a yeast thing (yeast feed off sugars).

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Not sure what you're feeding, but I've found that feeding raw helps. I can start to smell my dog after she's been eating kibble for a while...or too many processed treats even. No smell at all from raw...well, except when she's been chewing on a bone that's kind of, er, ripe. Eww.

I'd definitely inspect diet first...maybe too much processed food, too much sugar like was mentioned, or even a protein source that doesn't quite agree with him. Maybe try a probiotic?

Members online

No members online now.