can young dogs have arthritis?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yesterday and today Hannah has been sort of slow. Her back left leg seems to be giving her trouble sometimes during the day, especially after getting up from laying down and from rough fetching. Can a young dog get arthritis, or could she have maybe just pulled something? We have been playing a little rougher than usual lately so maybe could she have just gotten a little sore?

amymarley

You may hate or love my posts but I will tell you some great advice on arthrisits and joint pain.

Go to a dog "bakery" or specialized store. You may also be able to get it on the internet. It's called "Missing Ling Plus" Caninine Formula with Joint Support. It comes in a gold bag, about $27.00 per bag, and it lasts awhile. I give my boxer 3 teaspoons per day on his food. It looks like a brown powder. It supports healthy joints, substained energy levels, healthy skin and coat, healthy digestive system and normal weight. After a 4 DAYS, I saw an improvement. He is older and was limping, not anymore... I also give him 2 500 mg smashed vit. c, and fish oil, omega 3. I use the people brand and just puncture a hole and pour on his food. Let me tell you, I have tried pet and people vit. and nothing has worked like Missing Link. I actually got the idea from a client of mine and have been using it ever since. Yes, I know a bunch about animals, but my vet. told me about the vit. C., it has helped so well. I would have never thought about it before. Anyway, like I said, I tried a lot of different types of joint meds, but nothing has worked like Missing Link. I now advise all my clients on it. Hope this helps.
Amy

Barb04

Super Moderator
I believe Hannah is about 10 months old? Kona had problems with her back leg and we found out she has pano (growing pains). We had to switch her from large breed puppy food to adult food to slow down her growth. If she runs around too much, it acts up. This is something that they should outgrow by 15-18 months. The first time she experienced this, we took her to the vet to be checked out and he gave her anti-inflammatories for a week.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Barb04 said:
I believe Hannah is about 10 months old? Kona had problems with her back leg and we found out she has pano (growing pains). We had to switch her from large breed puppy food to adult food to slow down her growth. If she runs around too much, it acts up. This is something that they should outgrow by 15-18 months. The first time she experienced this, we took her to the vet to be checked out and he gave her anti-inflammatories for a week.
she will be 8 months in a couple of days. She's already on the adult formula though, I figure since the dogs ages are so far apart to just give them all the food for all life stages.

M

Manchesters

Goodness!

juliefurry said:
she will be 8 months in a couple of days. She's already on the adult formula though, I figure since the dogs ages are so far apart to just give them all the food for all life stages.
I thought everyone was aware that young growing dogs should only have exercise that does not involve heavy pounding and wrenching of the joints! Strenuous fetching involves pounding of the hips, elbows, hocks and pasterns. NOT wise for medium to large size dogs. They will be growing for at least two years, and the muscles, tendons and cartiledge are tender for at least that amount of time.

As to the original question, undoubtedly the dog has a pulled muscle or tendon. Is this dog receiving ANY vitamin C, or shark cartiledge or whatever that other substance is that starts with a "C" that I cannot think of at this moment, lol? Oh yeah--consequin???? Or something like that! She definitely needs to be on vitamin C---all medium to large breeds should receive vitamin C daily. ESPECIALLY when in the growing phase of their lives.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Manchesters said:
I thought everyone was aware that young growing dogs should only have exercise that does not involve heavy pounding and wrenching of the joints! Strenuous fetching involves pounding of the hips, elbows, hocks and pasterns. NOT wise for medium to large size dogs. They will be growing for at least two years, and the muscles, tendons and cartiledge are tender for at least that amount of time.

As to the original question, undoubtedly the dog has a pulled muscle or tendon. Is this dog receiving ANY vitamin C, or shark cartiledge or whatever that other substance is that starts with a "C" that I cannot think of at this moment, lol? Oh yeah--consequin???? Or something like that! She definitely needs to be on vitamin C---all medium to large breeds should receive vitamin C daily. ESPECIALLY when in the growing phase of their lives.
Yes, I know that she should not recieve strenous exercise (unfortunetely my husband doesn't). She tends to do it to herself though she gets running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and there is no way to stop her (I don't exercise her like that on purpose if that's what you mean). Yes we give her vitamin c everyday as well.

M

Manchesters

Very Good!

juliefurry said:
Yes, I know that she should not recieve strenous exercise (unfortunetely my husband doesn't). She tends to do it to herself though she gets running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and there is no way to stop her (I don't exercise her like that on purpose if that's what you mean). Yes we give her vitamin c everyday as well.
Now how about the shark cartilege (can't spell it to save my soul, lol) and the Glucosamin? (Finally remembered the name!!!!!) They are also recommended.

A dog Hannah's size should get 250mgs of C twice a day. That way it won't upset her stomach. Or if you are rich you can get the buffered form of C.

Tell your husband that unless he wants to face some pricey vet bills down the line, he better take it easy on those growing joints (on HANNAH, that is, lol).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Manchesters said:
Now how about the shark cartilege (can't spell it to save my soul, lol) and the Glucosamin? (Finally remembered the name!!!!!) They are also recommended.

A dog Hannah's size should get 250mgs of C twice a day. That way it won't upset her stomach. Or if you are rich you can get the buffered form of C.

Tell your husband that unless he wants to face some pricey vet bills down the line, he better take it easy on those growing joints (on HANNAH, that is, lol).
where can you find the shark cartiledge and the glucosamin? Are that at the grocery store or a specialty store? That's the amount of vitamin c that she gets too, but I get her the human vitamin c capsules and she gets them at each meal. I tell him everyday not to play rough with her and he is doing better about it but sometimes he just forgets.

Arthritis in Young Dogs

Hopefully, by now your pup is completely recovered, but, not to alarm you, does she bunny hop (run with both back legs together), or lay "army style" most of the time? These could be signs of hip problems.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
owned by dogs said:
Hopefully, by now your pup is completely recovered, but, not to alarm you, does she bunny hop (run with both back legs together), or lay "army style" most of the time? These could be signs of hip problems.
She's doing better this afternoon. No, she doesn't run like that or lay either. I'm always watching how she runs and lays too so I can watch for hip problems though.

You can usually find glucosamine in a health food store....I buy it maybe one every week and a half, and the girls each get it once a day, at night. I put it in peanut butter (that's the only way they'll eat it). Colby has minor arthritis in her left back leg, so she gets more than the other two. That's all she gets for it, besides me massages her leg each night with an anti inflammation gel, and she's doing well. :)

Members online

No members online now.