I bought a dremel!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Wow, it's kind of fun dremeling Lily's toenails (Smokey wiggles too much and I keep sanding my hands, I'm sure I'll improve)
AND, Lily hasn't bitten me with the dremel, but the guillotine style clippers she howled and bit me the last time I trimmed her nails, and I didn't even quick her!
Big improvement on what her nails look like too! Just a question though, what do you guys do to keep from breathing the smelly-ass toenail dust? My eyesight is bad (and I didn't dare wear my contacts so I could actually see with the dust flying) so I have to get up close to see what I'm doing.
Any suggestions?

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
As far as my eyes, I wear glasses so that is never a problem. As far as breathing the dust, I just keep my face back a little. With femka her nails are more dry so I found getting a wet paper towel, wipe the nails first, cuts down alot on the dremel dust. ( ie the dust sticks to the slightly damp fur around it.)

How about a sanding respirator mask? Those soft little mask things people wear when sanding or painting and stuff. I just pull my shirt over my nose as I go, ha ha.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I didn't even think of that, lol. I don't mind grinding my fingers, it has a low speed and it doesn't even hurt (I have some pretty calloused hands though) but the dust not only smells nasty but doesn't exactly have a great taste either!
I didn't think of "wet sanding" them like Borzoi suggested either...that's a good idea and I can see why it would reduce the dust!

Thanks!

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
have any of you guys tried that pedi-paws dremel? it's supposed to suck all that stuff in... i'm thinkin about getting one!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I haven't tried it, but when a black and decker dremel is all of $25 at Walmart (and $30 for the mini mite Dremel brand) it just seems more cost effective to have a tool you can use on other things and with a warranty. Even the black and decker has a 2 year warranty on the motor...

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
oh i have a regular dremel, i'm just weirded out about using it on my dogs.. it makes a lot of noise, imo

the pedi paws one sucks up the dust, it's supposed to be super quiet, and it's cordless.

and i'm a sucker for seen on tv stuff ;)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I wear a dust mask every time I dremmel. The first time I didn't, and had breathing difficulty for 24 hours. No one should really be inhaling that.

The window on the 'peticure' gets covered in nail dust in seconds.. making it impossible to see the nail you are tryign to work on. Easier to use a real dremmel.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Good idea on the breathing it in, I guess thats why when I get my nails done they wear dust masks too...I always thought it was the nasty smelling chemicals...

R

RedyreRottweilers

My cordless is quiet too, but the battery will not hold up to do more than one adult dog's nails.

I found it great for puppies, but as they grow and get bigger, I now use the mega grinder. It makes plenty of noise, but they don't mind.

I use a grooming table, and keep far enough back to keep from breathing the nasty burnt hair smelling dust.

I LUUUURVE my dremel. :D

maple

Queen of the Jungle
S

Squishy22

I need to get one. I had no luck in finding one either. My walmart doesnt carry them. Neither does my petco.

I want to get the Peticure dremel seen on TV also. They have a website... Peticure.com

... not sure if I spelled that right.

Dekka

Just try me..
~Still Mafia~

Haha no worries. A lot of people were hopeful about it. I like that other bought it and hated it without me spending money ;)

Members online

No members online now.