Am I weird for giving no treats?

RD

Are you dead yet?
There are multiple training opportunities throughout the day for my guys.

With house training Bella, every time she goes outside she gets a treat and praise (as do the other two). She has a few training sessions/day and gets treats as do Buddy and Banzai.

We're currently teaching Buddy a new trick so he gets more treats for that.

When we go out to the pond, to a pet store, the opportunity is not wasted- there is a training opportunity and the pups get treats.

I guess I'm the type that sees an opportunity to train throughout much of the day.

They also get a treat when they go in their crates.

Of course, all treats are factored into their daily diets and they get special treats like bully sticks, RBM's and compressed rawhide somewhat occasionally, but not everyday.

Buddy gets Wellness and NB treats, while Bella gets charlee bear and Wellness and Banzai gets charlee bears and some peanut butter treats (until we run out then we'll get a more healthy alternative for him- those are his crate treats).

So, yup my pups get treats but they work for them, except for the crate treat which is given when they go into their crates.
Exactly, this is what I do too.

Except mine get stuffed kongs as their crate treats.

joce

Not weird or mean at all.

the only time mine get treats are when my dad brings some over and feeds them. If I know they are going to go through something rough-like having to behave at soemone elses house I might get them a bone jsut to keep them occupied.

I have had too many fat dogs to give treats all the time-I found hugs work jsut as well with my mutts:p And byrons packing on the pounds right now anyway!

And when I did training at home I jsut gave their dog food one piece at a time:yikes:

Debi

no treats here. anything I've ever given Ham he spits it out. Addie gets a little nibble here and there during dinner. (bad habit, but hubby spoiled her...she IS a lady about it tho) Ham goes upstairs to bed when we eat. he's just not the least bit motivated by food. just eats his meal once a day.

ACooper

I think whatever works at your house is what works. I wouldn't call you weird for that at all :D

Mine used to get more treats when working on basics........but not so much anymore.

bubbatd

Ollie didn't want me to read this !!!! He gets one in the morning and then as rewards during the day . As to table scraps , I save any veggies etc and add to next day's dinner .

Members online

No members online now.