rabies vacinne - Important not to forget to get it done

Giny

We've had an influx of reported rabies cases this year in my state. Sadly, many dogs that were in contact with the infected animals had to be euthanized. Not because they'd never been vaccinated against rabies, but because they were not up to date. It's quite scary to see how many cases they've found already in this short amount of time. They blame it on our warm winter weather causing more animals to be out and about earlier.

As a person who works with dogs as a groomer, I'm seriously thinking of getting my self vaccinated. I had planned on getting in done a few years ago but have waited because of the cost. I’m now thinking that the cost is minimal to what could happen if I got in contact with a dog whose been infected.

Here are some of the number of cases found as of March 27.
http://www.state.me.us/dhhs/etl/rabies/rabies2006.htm

corsomom

That is so scary. A couple years back there was a teenage girl in my state that was bitten by a rabid bat in church. She amazingly did survive but I dont know the long term affects she has.

Giny

Taken from WCSH6 News Center.

Five dogs in the Boothbay region have had to be put down in the last ten days, because of the threat of rabies.

The dogs had either exhibited signs that they had become infected with rabies, or there was evidence they'd been attacked by some animal and were euthenized as a precaution.

Most of the incidents occured on Barters Island, where the rabies is apparently being spread by raccoons. Residents have reported coons attacking dogs and even threatening people.

A husky, who was quarantined, had to be put down after it began to exhibit signs it was infected. Two golden retrievers were also put down after they killed a raccoon and were found to be past their vaccination date.

Spring time is the time when the state really picks up its rabies awareness programs and it's also the time that state scientists blanket heavily wooded areas with vaccine pellets that they hope raccoons and other animals will eat.

As a result, the Boothbay Animal Hospital has seen a huge increase in the number of pets being vaccinated, almost two hundred in the past few weeks. Animal control officer Betsy Pratt and veterinarian Dr. Dean Domeyer say the outbreak is spreading, but that vaccination is the best protection.

"It's been on Barters Island and now its coming off the island, and I see more and more of it," said Pratt.

"In any animal exposed to rabies, if there is decent wound care the risk is very very low," said Dr. Domeyer.

People in the Boothbay Region are encouraged to call local police if they see any animal that is acting strangely. Also, officials are organizing a rabies shot clinic.

Link to source: http://www.wcsh6.com/search/article.asp?id=33339

mojozen

bullie lover
Mojo is done. I try to get him UTD on shots before spring really... springs. ;)

I will pass this on to the other dog owners i know in real life.

Debi

in PA it's the law, and the fines are high. I'm so happy about it because I know alot of people that would ignore the vaccine otherwise. it is scarey!!!

Julie

I am back again.
It is very important to vaccinate against this disease.......there is no cure.

I have my own experiences with the disease directly. And if I were a groomer I would definately look into pre exposure vaccine.

I had to have post exposure vaccinations.......

You can read my story here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showpost.php?p=272775&postcount=9

There are alot of rabies clinics for animals around here I think they have already started then last till the first of Nov. It only costs $5.00 per shot. Better safer than sorry.:D

Giny

Julie said:
It is very important to vaccinate against this disease.......there is no cure.

I have my own experiences with the disease directly. And if I were a groomer I would definately look into pre exposure vaccine.

I had to have post exposure vaccinations.......

You can read my story here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showpost.php?p=272775&postcount=9

There are alot of rabies clinics for animals around here I think they have already started then last till the first of Nov. It only costs $5.00 per shot. Better safer than sorry.:D
Oh my goodness, Julie! What you and your family went through was absolutely horrifying. Your story has encouraged me even more so into getting myself inoculated. It's always been important for all my animals to get their rabies shots. I just can't take that chance with my client’s dogs being UTD on their shots. We have rabies clinics around here also. They normally run a few times a year. I may post a list of where they are at and when they are done in my salon, including information on the risk of rabies.

I'm so sorry you lost all your precious babies because of it. Thank God you child was ok!
Thank you again for pointing that out to me.

Members online

No members online now.