Eye infection

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Do any of you know much about eye infections?

I just had to take Bailey to the vet this morning b/c he was getting a yellow/green collection of mucus in his eyes and they are blood shot red. His one eye he was squinting so that it was almost closed.

It really looked like "human pink eye".

Any thoughts?:confused:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sounds like an eye infection that seems to be fairly common. Sawyer has had it a couple times. All the vet did was make sure that it was just the simple infection and not a scratch on the eye itself and sent me home with a little tub of NeoPolyDex that I was to apply 3x a day for a week. Clears it up quite nicely.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Zoom, that is exactly the same thing my vet gave me for him. I am to apply it 2-3 times a day for 7 days. I guess that is reassuring to know it is kinda common. Do you happen to know what causes it?

All the vet said was that it was an infection, I guess there's not much more to say as it is kinda common.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I don't, but it also seems to spread easily from dog to dog, just like human pink eye does from person to person. So if you know you're going to be touching a lot of other dogs this week, wash your hands before and keep Bailey isolated.

It is not too uncommon for puppies to put their noses funny places. He could have scratched himself or romping through the bushes or anything. I am sure what you have will clear it up quickly.

Bailey is one of my favorite friends on here. He is just precious.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Thanks Laura. He's my favorite too. :p But many of you have precious dogs too (including yours, he looks like a boxer....love boxer's!!). Bailey has changed my life in so many ways over the past 3 months since I have had him.

He is my first puppy...and I have grown so much, but still have much to learn too. This forum and others have helped me to keep my sanity with all of the issues that come up and to enjoy hearing about many others for which I have not encountered.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Wonder, which of your dogs is pricess?

I asked the vet about allergies, and I continue to ask them, they keep saying he is too young. Just like they told me his anal glands wouldn't develop until he was a year old. Helloooooo, they have developed and are needing tended to regularly and he is 5 months. I know all breeds are different, and they frustrate me how they don't address that fact in their advice. I may be searching for another vet soon.

Members online