Remembering Mabel

showpug

I guess I am writing this to help bring closure to one of the greatest losses I have ever encountered. Two months ago I lost my pride and joy and a big piece of my heart. Her name was Mabel. I still cry about her tradgedy on almost a daily basis and sometimes pause when I have to realize that yes, it really did happen, and yes, she is gone... Mabel was my first show dog, and the love of my life. We learned to show in the conformation ring together and she was a natural. She had so much expression and charisma and seemed to know what to do once we stepped foot in the ring. I loved showing her and I loved having her as my precious companion, but most of all, Mabel taught me that I could do anything and I did not have to be afraid. I grew with her and she taught me strength and preserverance. Shortly after Mabel's first birthday she was tragically diagnosed with a fatal brain decaying disease called "Pug Encephalitis." A disease that is so greatly feared in the pug community and a disease that can NOT be tested for prior to breeding. I was devastated. How could this happen? She was just a baby and she was my best friend? Mabel was given days to months to live. We did everything the vet recommended and spent almost $2000 and we could not save her. I would have spent much more, because that was not what was important, I wanted my baby to live, not die. After months of trying to medicate her, she continued to fail and act as if she never knew me. She deteriorated everyday and I cried with her on a daily basis. The idea of saying goodbye to Mabel was not a possibility. We finally lost the fight after 2 months of trying to save her...the outcome was inevitable. To this day I miss her, love her, and cry about her. She was my best friend and I learned so much about myself, from her life and her death. I will never get over loosing her. I sent Mabel's body to a University so they could use it for research on this disease in the hopes that someday they may find a cure, or at least a method of prevention. Mabel's ashes and a painted portrait of her sit at my bedside and every night I dream of the days we had and the day we meet again.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i wish words could help heal your heart, but they are poor compared the the pain i know you are feeling. I hope the angels are there for Mabel, treating her exactly as you would until u are there again. Writing her tribute will help, i know from experience. Hugs my friend.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about Mabel. I know she is watching over you and knows how much you loved her.

bubbatd

Losing a heart dog is soooooooooooo hard !! You did your best for her.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Oh i'm so sorry!! I'm sure Mabel is at Rainbow Bridge playing happily in the sunshine with all the other beloved pets!!

lilly

Mabel is your new guardian angel!look over your left shoulder.imagine Mabel worry-free in the place dogs go when they die.She is now foot loose and fancy free.And maybe,just MAYBE,you will see her sitting at the spot you are looking at over your left shoulder for about 10 seconds.keep up hope!keep up hope!

Members online

No members online now.