Easy Walk, ComfortFlex, and shoulder movement

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I know this Whole Dog Journal article about the effects of front-clip no-pull harnesses on shoulder movement has been around for a while. Do you think harnesses like the ComfortFlex have the same effect on shoulder movement? What about drafting and roading harnesses with a similar design?

BostonBanker

I believe I have seen information that the ComfortFlex is also guilty of restricting movement, although I don't know if there was actually study or just a vet/rehab person's observations.

None of the studies prevent me from allowing harnesses (I have the Freedom no-pull for my two, which isn't a front clip, but I'm sure does alter their movement some) on my dogs in certain situations. I don't need or use them when I walk the dogs, but they are used daily when my mother walks them. They are not always as well behaved for her, and I'm much more concerned about them either getting away from her in a bad situation or pulling her down. I picked the management tool I'm most comfortable with.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I actually recommend the EasyWalk to people who are getting dragged everywhere by their dogs, I'd much prefer they use that over a prong or choke. I think it's the least-aversive no-pull tool available in my area (Nobody carries the Freedom or Sense-ible and Average Joe Dog Owner is not going to order online) and tends to result in happier owners and more active dogs.

Brisbane much prefers the ComfortFlex-style harnesses because I don't have to touch his feet to put them on. I was walking him on a collar today and noticed how much more animated his gait seemed.

SpringerLover

I don't use them or recommend any across the front harnesses. I own and use a Freedom though, which sits better than a ComfortFlex but not as well as a Sure Fit.

Dogs definitely move differently in them. I dislike that. We see some front end injuries in dogs that are wearing front clip harnesses. We also see some front end injuries in dogs not wearing front clip harnesses. I also think that most front clip harnesses are fitted improperly.

I use a Y front whenever I can.

Maxy24

Oddly enough the easy walk is the only harness Tucker doesn't seem uncomfortable in which is strange because it looks like it'd be super uncomfortable. I would never suggest someone use it for long hikes, jogging, or for running around the park or anything very long or active like that but for walks around the neighborhood I LOVE it, yay lunge control (which you can only get from a front clip, not a back clip, harness). If we go to the park or for a hike in the woods he wears a regular harness.

I mean I wonder how long a dog has to wear it for it to cause issues. Walking funny for 20-30 minutes while on a leisurely stroll is different from walking funny for a few hours or while trying to run, climb, jump, etc.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I asked my rehab vet about the comfortflex and she saw no issue with it as it sits higher than most other harnesses with the same style. She's found the issue is with those that sit right across the bicep, on Izzie at least and most other dogs I know that isn't where it sits. Iz, gyp, fitz and roo have all done hiking and climbing and what not in their comfortflex harnesses and there's no restricted movement at all.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira walks best in her brilliantk9 harness (also across the front) because she hates harnesses that go between her front legs (Y style) and it sits high enough and her neck is built such that it doesn't interfere with her forward reach.

Lo is a little more questionable because he has that lower BC head carriage which can push the front strap down. That said he seems to ignore it and he's not pulling so the strap doesn't apply force against his upper arm and I haven't noticed any movement difference with it on.

Members online

No members online now.