Trick of the week: Leg weaves!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I apologize for the terrible quality...and the state of my room.
Had a grand total of 15 minutes to work on this last night :lol-sign:

Cobain forward stationary and walking weaves
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=iwl_-31_WBQ[/YOUTUBE]

Cobain first attempt to backwards walking weaves. I think if I work on it a bit more he should get it.
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=bAOBcPfIpTE[/YOUTUBE]

Rigby forward stationary and walking
[YOUTUBE]watch?v=vZ21JDkr4W0[/YOUTUBE]

I attempted it with Oz...but with him being a beagle I need a bit more than 5 minutes to work on it haha

Last edited:

Sekah

The Monster.
To embed the video, delete the "http...com/" part of the url and put the rest in [-YOUTUBE][-/YOUTUBE] code.

krissy

Okay, tried to do backwards with Kili. How do you folks start this? It is SOOOO hard. Going forwards I only had to really lure her a few times and then she started to get it and make an effort. Going backwards she does not seem to be getting it at all. I figured backwards would take a little longer, but I'm not so sure I'm doing this right. lol

Sekah

The Monster.
Does she do anything else backwards? Walk backwards? Go up stairs backwards? I'd probably start there.

krissy

Does she do anything else backwards? Walk backwards? Go up stairs backwards? I'd probably start there.
Nope. lol. But I taught her to pivot on a Frisbee by my side (to teach her swing into heel position) and I thought I could just get her to continue that pivot all the way. But maybe not.

Sekah

The Monster.
You may be able to work something out with a pivot. I'd be curious if you can translate the behaviour or not. Just remember that it's pretty challenging for dogs to remember that they have back ends, so asking them to do something where their back end has to think for itself doesn't come naturally.

Kootenay

You may be able to work something out with a pivot. I'd be curious if you can translate the behaviour or not. Just remember that it's pretty challenging for dogs to remember that they have back ends, so asking them to do something where their back end has to think for itself doesn't come naturally.
I think I sort of worked off a pivot when I started teaching this. Onyx has relatively good hind end awareness and she picked it up pretty fast.

Looking good everyone! Sassafras, I loved your stomping of small cities, I definitely LOLed at that!

Here's yesterday's work with Onyx. I think she's starting to think more about where she's going. I am trying to fade my hand movements, but we're not quite there yet.

[YOUTUBE]fKSstbqpC9s[/YOUTUBE]

SaraB

I teach all of my scoots and backward scoots and reverse leg weaves from a pivot. That's also how Silvia Trkman teaches it in her puppy class.

krissy

I teach all of my scoots and backward scoots and reverse leg weaves from a pivot. That's also how Silvia Trkman teaches it in her puppy class.
Ok, that's encouraging. I'll have to remind her of her pivots and then just keep going from there (which of course means she'll forget to stop when I ask her to heel, lol, but that's okay because we really don't do any obedience).
Going to try this tonight.

Kootenay

So, Yarrow was in a really funny mood today, this is about what our "weave" session looked like, lol.

He can be such a dork.

[YOUTUBE]8_vkJk0VbAk[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and sorry about Onyx barking, bad girl.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
krissy, I had the same problem when I started working with Talon on it yesterday. It's so frustrating when he nearly does a handstand to keep his butt from going under my leg and instead goes up on his front feet and lifts his hind end around my legs. :rolleyes:

BUT, we did get a through the legs once or twice and jack potted it. I think it may have to do with my position, I think it helped when I went as close to his front as possible and lifted the other leg up a bit so he didn't feel so inclosed. I figure I can just lower my leg until it's all the way on the ground again as he get's better at it.

Everyones video's are so cool so far!

Sekah

The Monster.
Sara, do you ever use the backwards figure-8 in a routine? It seems a bit ungainly and, to me, feels like I'd just want a backwards weave instead.

So do you ask for a pivot and then move your body so they end up backing under a leg? That's what I was trying to do this morning, and I ended up with him pretty much sitting between my legs every time like I was riding a hobby horse. I'm not sure I'm really communicating much of anything to him other than that I'm just fooling around being silly. :confused:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So this is were we are at with the one direction going backwards around my leg.

[YOUTUBE]mKPUv4XU4ME&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

It's not the greatest, but it's progress ^_^

I started doing this and than realized he doesn't know pivot in the CCW direction. :rofl1: So we are going back to learning to pivot CCW instead of CW. Hopefully he'll be able to do both directions and we can start putting it all together and making it prettier.

Members online

No members online now.