dog foster carer need help with pregnant dog

apmnally

yes ive taken her temp starting from this morning its normal the feeding will be left up to mum unless she has too many to feed herself in which case the vet said let them all have some colostrum and then seperate some and feed them ones myself an x ray is being done on tuesday so that should tell me if i will need to seperate some or not
it just started to rain so there is a nice breaze coming in through the window and she ate the rest of the chicken and then the puppy food i am buying a pedestal fan today to keep her cool its spring here so its only going to get hotter

bubbatd

I had 3 litters of 10 and never had feed. I'd help find the littlest a good teat ( hind)...I'd put a hog right up to the upper ones , which actually produced more milk.It doesn't take them long to get their fill. Some nurse then go to sleep and use the teat as a paciflier ... move these over and let others have a chance.Milk is produced as they nurse , so they don't go dry,

apmnally

yeah it would be much easier if she will feed them is it better to feed dry or canned puppy food or doesnt it matter the vet said that dry has more calcium but she doesnt really want that she wants the canned puppy more flavour i think she is getting quite picky and difficult with her food over the last couple of days

apmnally

today she is showing some strange behavour she is trying to cover her food bowl everytime i put her bowl down she will eat a little and then she will try and either push it away or cover it this is the first time she has done this i have decided to just put some newspapers and blankets on the floor she is happy with that and has stopped sleeping on my bed and is sleeping on the blankets she is digging in the blankets which i know is nesting behavour but is the hiding her food also nesting behavour i have moved her bowel to the kitchen far away from her bed and she still does it its like she just doesnt want her bowl on the floor she does it with her water to but just ends up knocking that over and making a mess i dont want to put her water up away from where she can reach it because i dont want her to go thirsty if i dont know that she wants water how do i stop her from doing it

lizzybeth727

First off, it's extremely difficult to understand where your questions are without any punctuation.

The food bowl thing sounds like maybe she's guarding the bowl. Try hand feeding her - this will help with the guarding and will also help build her trust in you so that when she has the babies she will not guard them from you as well.

As far as the water bowl, you can keep it put up and then offer her water every hour or so and see if she's thirsty. Or if it's really hot you could offer it more often. Don't restrict how much she drinks at a time. If she spillings it and she runs out and you don't notice, she will have bigger problems than if she only gets to drink so often.

Members online

No members online now.