Some people...!

ChiliBeans

I can't believe what happened to us today. My husband was home with Chili this morning while I did some volunteer work, and he began smelling exhaust fumes in our house like those coming from a vehicle. The garage of one of our neighbors is right next to the right side of our house. He discovered that these neighbors were running their vehicle inside the garage with the door closed! He had the neighbor turn the vehicle off, but after about an hour our carbon monoxide detector went off. We had carbon monoxide levels in our house that were more than double those that can harm a person! I thank goodness my husband was home to get Chili out of the house, or she probably wouldn't be with us anymore. I don't understand what possessed these individuals to run their vehicle in an enclosed building and put our lives into danger, but I am so thankful that we had the detector to let us know that life-threatening carbon monoxide was in our home.

Doberluv

OMG! That is serious. Did your husband talk to the neighbors? Because if they ever do that again, I'd call 911. You shouldn't ever have to have something like that happen. How big is Chili? Is that a Chihuahua by any chance? Just guessing by the name. Yup...it would be pretty hard on a small animal. What if you had birds? That would probably have killed them. I would definitely talk to the neighbors. Good grief! Glad you're OK.

Edited to say: Oh, duh.....there's your Chihuahua avatar, right?

Doberluv

Just thinking....that's so stupid, that I can't help wondering if someone there was trying to kill themselves or someone else. Suicide or murder. I mean...how could someone be that stupid? Maybe it ought to be reported anyhow. This is too weird!

ChiliBeans

Chili is a little thing. She didn't seem to have any negative effects from being exposed to the carbon monoxide, but having to take her out into -20 degree weather to evacuate wasn't great for her either. My husband put her in the car to keep her warm. I can't believe that anyone would be so careless, and what was more suspicious was that the wife was home, the husband was gone, and she appeared to have no idea that the vehicle was even turned on! Something really doesn't add up. The police and fire chief talked to them, told them that if they did anything like that again they would be in major trouble. I told my husband that I don't trust those neighbors anymore because of the nature of the whole incident. I really hope they had no intent to kill anyone because our house is the only one located right next to the garages. We live in a multiple unit building. The only people who could have been harmed other than anyone who may have been in the garage is us! I've got my eye on them, though...

bogolove

You should have reported them! I can't believe after all the horror stories out there that someone would still be dumb enough to do that!

ChiliBeans

LOL...everyone I have talked to has said that, Renee! I guess the CO could have eventually gotten to their unit, but everyone else in the building would have been taken out, too! The garages are perpendicular to our building, with our unit adjoining to the garages and the rest of the three units proceed to the left of ours. You never know with these weirdos living up here!

As far as reporting them, we initially called the fire department about the CO detector going off. The police came out, too. They know who is responsible for the CO, but we live on an Air Force base and they have weird procedures they have to follow, I guess. If the people do anything like that again, they'll probably be kicked out of housing or even prosecuted. And believe me, we won't hesitate to turn them in! I'm nervous about even leaving Chili home alone anymore because of this!

The wife may be lucky to be married to a real numbnutz who's just a bumbling idiot.

Really, are they so vapid that they would have started the car to warm it up then forgotten that they were going somewhere? :rolleyes:

maybe they've got remote strat. she could have accidently ht the botton and not even known it. you might thinks about putting some kind of a vent in the garage.

i'm trying to picture you situation....so a three one car garages, all contained inside one building attached to three apartments all in a row? so you've got like [][][]-[][][]?

Members online

No members online now.