Trick of the Week: Rebound!

Ok, so all you big dog people don't start panicking yet, you don't have to do it off your own body :p And I figured since our last trick was completely passive this week should be something a little more fun and fast!

So the TotW this week is 'Rebound' which can be done as a rebound off your body (front, back, hip, foot etc.) OR off of an object such as a wall or tree. Big dogs AND small dogs can do this so no excuses!

It's a trick that is done in small steps but fun to teach. Here's a video of the steps that I personally used to teach it for off my body

[YOUTUBE]kQZ1ZqE060g[/YOUTUBE]

And here is a video I found on youtube to show steps towards teaching it off of a wall. Keep in mind this is just the general idea, you guys are smart enough to know your dogs and how to adjust it to fit you and them better!

[YOUTUBE]1w23KWpMCg8[/YOUTUBE]

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Siri just learned this last week (off of me), but I am totally going to teach her how to do it off of a wall. :D

krissy

I would love to do this! Kili has a thing about jumping so maybe this will help. She's good at jumping in agility, but as seen with perch... Jumping onto or at other things is a weird concept for her apparently. We'll see how this goes!

Yay! I hope everyone joins in this week, it's a fun one! Don't be discouraged by the steps involved either.

Sekah

The Monster.
This one is a fun one! This is definitely one of Cohen's favourite tricks. She'll offer it (sometimes unasked for) in just about any situation. Trees, walls, poles and me are all viable targets. We taught it via her box turn in flyball. I eventually moved it to a wall, then a pole/tree and the finally myself.

[YOUTUBE]PQhxhwxvL44[/YOUTUBE]

We've been working on a foot rebound for a while now and are currently trying to get it a bit tighter and with a bit more oomph behind it. I'll take a new video and post it soon, I hope.

[YOUTUBE]oKWwca4ot-0[/YOUTUBE]

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I am so excited to teach this. Penn already jumps up in my arms ..hopefully we can figure out the rest (because what fun with a 50lb dog!)

Love it Sekah! Rebound is seriously one of my favorite tricks ever. I use it all the time to reset and get Didgie's attention back to me.

And your foot rebound is great! That's what I'm going to be working on this week, I've wanted it for ages but kept putting it off.

Just had my first session. I'm using a smaller board (that is actually Traveler's emery board for his nails so it has sandpaper for grip on it) and I had Didgie do it off of the board a few times while holding it to my body and then put it on my foot on the back of it and held it out (while sitting) and she was very willing to do it off of it.

Hopefully we'll keep at it so her foot placement is right and move to a smaller surface and see how that goes.

I have to find a different board or object for Traveler though, he can't comprehend doing anything with his emery board other than melting and having a manicure done.

krissy

[sigh] I do not think I can do this trick until summer. I have no carpeting in my house. And most rooms in our house are small too. I'm going to have to do this outside on grass to give her any kind of traction. Poo.

[sigh] I do not think I can do this trick until summer. I have no carpeting in my house. And most rooms in our house are small too. I'm going to have to do this outside on grass to give her any kind of traction. Poo.
Are you planning on doing it against you or a wall?

And whenever I'm training where the floor is wood or slippery I use bathmats, at one time I had like five bathmats spread around my room to give traction while teaching a trick Just an idea!

krissy

Are you planning on doing it against you or a wall?

And whenever I'm training where the floor is wood or slippery I use bathmats, at one time I had like five bathmats spread around my room to give traction while teaching a trick Just an idea!
I think I have to start with a wall so that it is solid and she gets comfortable. Then I will try to transfer it to my body.

I've got bath mats, but remember my dogs are a lot bigger than yours. Lol. I do not have enough mats to give us a decent working area. I remember looking at some kiddie flooring a few months ago, and I might get that. It's like multicoloured foamy puzzle pieces that you stick together. I might pick some up tomorrow and see if that works. But I'd still have to clear furniture to give me enough wall space to do this. So there's that inconvenience as well.

I think I have to start with a wall so that it is solid and she gets comfortable. Then I will try to transfer it to my body.

I've got bath mats, but remember my dogs are a lot bigger than yours. Lol. I do not have enough mats to give us a decent working area. I remember looking at some kiddie flooring a few months ago, and I might get that. It's like multicoloured foamy puzzle pieces that you stick together. I might pick some up tomorrow and see if that works. But I'd still have to clear furniture to give me enough wall space to do this. So there's that inconvenience as well.
I forget everyone doesn't have a giant supply of bath mats (and I meant the rugs not the ones in the shower). I use them for crates so I have a huge stack of them.

How were you planning on teaching it? Because I think if you use a slanted (or flat on the floor to start with) board you could do the beginning stages pretty easily without using any wall or needing carpeting.

I forget everyone doesn't have a giant supply of bath mats (and I meant the rugs not the ones in the shower). I use them for crates so I have a huge stack of them.

How were you planning on teaching it? Because I think if you use a slanted (or flat on the floor to start with) board you could do the beginning stages pretty easily without using any wall or needing carpeting.
Agreed. If you're going to use a board or something similar, it'll just be basic targeting and maybe a "send out" in the beginning, which could be done on any surface.

krissy

Yeah... I've got one bath mat and the grip on it sucks. I've been using my muddy paws mat which is awesome... But I only have one because they're like $40.

I've got a board leaning up on the wall. Which is going alright. But even for that we need a mat down. These dogs fall on a daily basis just walking around the house. When Kili runs around in here or plays with toys it's like a face plant or Bambi splay every 10 seconds. Which she doesn't seem to mind until you're trying to teach her new things.

Summit is practically afraid of the one bend coming out of the bedroom. If you try to walk there beside him (or Kili tries to push past him) he starts to freak out and either gets his claws out and scrabbles and nearly falls, or he freezes. These dogs... Not made for hardwood. It's super annoying.

But seriously, if these kiddie mats don't slide on the floor they might work. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and hopefully get some more work done!

E: she's already done lots of work on boards on the floor. That was how we trained 2 on 2 off contacts. She sees something on the floor that even remotely resembles a board and she's on it looking for a treat. So she definitely needs to be going vertical now. I think so anyway. Which isn't saying much since I usually don't know what I'm doing. Lol!

E: she's already done lots of work on boards on the floor. That was how we trained 2 on 2 off contacts. She sees something on the floor that even remotely resembles a board and she's on it looking for a treat. So she definitely needs to be going vertical now. I think so anyway. Which isn't saying much since I usually don't know what I'm doing. Lol!
Is she doing the correct motion? Going onto it, turning on direction and coming off to complete a circular motion? That's going to be your core movement which is what you're hammering down before you put it vertical. That start is what is going to make sure all her feet go in the correct spot and start the muscle memory for the behavior later on.

So if she's doing that consistently then I would say it's time to put it at an incline like you're doing, but if she's not I would backtrack and have it flat to get that circular motion down.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Backup had a killer wall turn! ahhhh I'm fascinated by the alternative training method, we used touch stick luring and reward placement in flyball to get a wall turn (before putting them on the box).

I haven't decided if I will mess with this for Phelan but maybe Sloan. :)

Backup had a killer wall turn! ahhhh I'm fascinated by the alternative training method, we used touch stick luring and reward placement in flyball to get a wall turn (before putting them on the box).

I haven't decided if I will mess with this for Phelan but maybe Sloan. :)
Any video's on how you trained it Adrianne?

krissy

Is she doing the correct motion? Going onto it, turning on direction and coming off to complete a circular motion? That's going to be your core movement which is what you're hammering down before you put it vertical. That start is what is going to make sure all her feet go in the correct spot and start the muscle memory for the behavior later on.

So if she's doing that consistently then I would say it's time to put it at an incline like you're doing, but if she's not I would backtrack and have it flat to get that circular motion down.
Yes, we worked on that yesterday. She gets it but so. slow. So I will probably revisit that step today after I buy the kiddie footing and see f I can't improve the speed a little.

SaraB

Here's an old video of Zuma's foot rebound. It's tightened up a lot AND I no longer have to lean on something. So yay. I'll get a new video sometime.

[YOUTUBE]_05hUnfirZo[/YOUTUBE]

Members online