Traits you like in cats vs. dogs

Maxy24

While thinking about the other cat vs. dog thread I thought it odd how people dislike certain cat traits that I feel like they probably like in dogs.

So, are there any traits you want in a dog and would hate in a cat? Or traits you love in cats but wouldn't like in a dog? This can be personality traits or physical traits.

For me...

Vocal- I love vocal cats who beg with their voices and will respond to you talking to them by talking back. I like quiet dogs, I hate when dogs bark at me to get me to throw a ball or something like that.

Playfulness- I like really playful dogs. It is one of my requirements when choosing a dog, I would not be happy with a dog who didn't like to play or was difficult to get playing. Tug is especially important. In cats I really don't care. A less playful cat might even be better because they tend to get into less trouble. Same goes for activity level, I like higher energy dogs but don't really care about a cat's activity level.

Otherwise things are similar. I like needy cats and dogs, attention hogs, not even remotely aloof. I like easy to handle pets, I wouldn't like a cat that I worry about touching in the wrong place, same with dogs. Physically I like short coats on both, athletic looking bodies, not squishy.

Paige

Let it be
I prefer both to be non invasive and quiet, but shadows. I like pretty similar things though i do like a dog to be more playful though.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The only difference I can think of is that I don't like cuddly dogs but I love cuddly cats!
Oh, and for cats I like more compact and stocky builds (I like Tonkinese and British Shorthair body types, not Orientals and Rex types), but in dogs I love the really athletic dogs like greyhounds and pointers.

Other than that I like the same things I think:
-Playful
-Quiet
-Shorter Coats
-Voracious eaters, lol

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I love my lazy, cuddly easy going kitten but I love an active and athletic dog. Although I do like a cuddly dog, if I had a dog as cuddly as this kitten I think I would get a little annoyed over time.

Doberluv

I guess I kind of like traits to be similar in cats and dogs...not over the top busy or energetic, not so lazy they're boring either. lol. I like a little bit of vocalizations but not incessant or loud. Jose` has some pretty cool sounds he makes that aren't barking. So, I like those. And cats....as long as they're not demanding or annoying...a little chirp and a little meow at times is fine and cute. I like how they talk back. I had one cat, April, who would answer back the same number of chirpy noises I made....like little short meows. If we made the sound twice, she did it twice. If it was 3 times, she repeated 3. Too funny.

I like to see a little curiosity in both animals. I think it's a sign of intelligence and it's amusing too.

SoCrafty

Well - the best cat I ever had was an Egyptian Mau (aptly named 'Maui'). He was the best. He was playful, snuggly, talkative (at the right times), über friendly, smart as a whip (he knew tricks!), he was protective (as a teen if i got in trouble and I was getting spoken to he would get between me and whoever), had energy but when it was time to relax, he was all up on that lol. I would love for my future dog to have all or most of these traits. But there will never be another Maui.

If I ever feel the need to get another cat, I would have to say I would want a Siamese (Traditional - not the new style) or just your run of the mill shelter kitty. But it would have to be a big ol' tom cat.

I think I could handle a talkative kitty, but not a talkative dog, an energetic kitty but not an over exuberant dog. I think I am middle of the road on my dog traits lol. But definitely not that way with cats. I would hate to have a middle of the road or low energy cat.

crazedACD

Oh, and for cats I like more compact and stocky builds (I like Tonkinese and British Shorthair body types, not Orientals and Rex types), but in dogs I love the really athletic dogs like greyhounds and pointers.
I freaking love lean and long dogs and cats. Orientals, Rex, Sphynx..drool. And then sighthounds are the most physically appealing dogs to me.

Quiet, playful, goofy. I don't like a serious dog or an aloof one. My dog has got to have a sense of humor, like me ;) I like a happy go lucky, smart, and eager to please dog. I like a dog that's under my feet, loving, cuddle bug.

Cats...well I just like mine :D

Members online

No members online now.