want 2 become a dog trainer

bradny78

I want 2 know if anyone can help me 2 find out how i can become a certified dog trainer.. this is something that i am very interested in and any tips u can give me would be a big help

lizzybeth727

I think the best thing you can do to become a trainer is to get experience working with dogs. Of course, if you've never done it before, about the only thing you can do is volunteer - but you can volunteer with shelters, rescue groups, assistance dog organizations, some vet clinics, groomers, trainers, etc. You could also apprentice with dog trainers (again, probably with no pay). If you apprentice, I'd suggest apprenticeing with several different types of trainers if possible - obedience trainers, agility trainers, even field trial trainers, etc. The more different trainers you see, and the more different types of training methods you see, the more rounded you will be when you are a trainer, and this can be very valuable. Plus it's a great way to make connections in the industry, and those trainers will become your resource for a possible job and/or possible clients. You will be able to start building your reputation as well as your client pool.

Another option would be to start at Petsmart/Petco. They have decent training programs, and it's a good way to get some experience and learn a lot about dog training. Plus, they have paid training.

While you're doing all this training, you should also be reading all the training books you can find. There are several posts on this forum about books to read, you can search for some. It's also a great idea to go to conferences - you can do some google searches (or maybe there's a listing of them somewhere) and find out what conferences are in your area. If you happen to be in TX, PM me and I'll let you know about several that I know of coming up this fall.

And keep reading Chaz! There are many professional trainers on this forum, and many dog owners that just know a heck of a lot about dogs, and you'll learn a lot just by sitting back and reading.

Let us know if you have any more questions! And good luck!

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
there are actually dog training schools, which would give you a much more thorough grounding in all aspects of dog training (off-lead, protection, etc) than the wishy washy training petsmart and petco do. That's especially helpful if you want to be a trainer not affiliated with a pet store.

one such school in my area is called National K-9. You may want to research it and similar schools.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I talked with Colleen (Dr2little on here) alot about different places to become a certified dog trainer. She helped ALOT!

She told me about different schools that offer this type of certification. ABC, APDT, and CPDT.

Here's the thread, you might find it interesting/helpful. http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69637

bradny78

I saw online thast there is a school called animal behavior college.. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this place or has heard anything about it.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I've only heard very positive things about ABC (Animal Behavior College). I wouldn't hesitate to consider them.

Bradny, is there a training place in your area?

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
A school for dog trainers could be a great idea if you have the funds- they are not cheap :( In any case, the goal is to surround yourself with really good dog trainers. So, whether you aim for a school, an apprenticeship or a club, try to find some people who really impress you with their knowledge and abilities. Find someone who can train a dog to do almost anything and isn't stuck on any one method or system- the more tools you have in your box, the more able you will be to train a wide variety of dogs and handlers.

I especially recommend time with really serious sport/hunting trainers. People who demand results from themselves and their dogs and measure those results against objective standards- either the dog jumps through the hoop on the first command or it doesn't. Training for this level of reliability and precision hones skills in a way that pet training does not.

Not that you should not also train with experienced pet trainers. Pet trainers know how to compromise- they learn to see the dog and handler's limitations and work with them, instead of rejecting them. Sport trainers may get a new dog when the training goes wrong- pet trainers cannot lose clients and dogs so they are sometimes more careful, patient and creative than sport trainers. They also deal with a wider range of behavior problems, as a general rule.

Make yourself nice to have around and people will let you watch their training and even take the time to explain. Join clubs and help out- clean up the field, get out equipment and put it away, be a part of the routine as the man on the figure eight or play the judge. Show that you will give before you start taking knowledge away. Once you have proved yourself useful, many people will answer your questions and try to help you with your training.

Where are you located? We might be able to recommend good mentors to approach for some kind of reciprocal exchange...

Falconara

Gene Junkie
I did do ABC and now I am working for the trainer I interned with...I'm doing several months as an assistant, and then I should be moving up to full trainer status at the end of the year.

I would like to do a SchoolSchool at some point - mainly because I want structured instruction on K9/Narc/Military/SAR type work, but ABC was a good place to get started for me - they have the online first portion - then you spend three sessions with a trainer (which is great) and then you spend several hours working in a shelter. They focus on positive methods.

~Cate

bradny78

thanks for the input ... i actually got in contact with a local training facility in my area and im meeting with one of the people there this coming week.. thank u for your input everyone.. u have all been a big help

Members online

No members online now.