Hello fellow doglovers I need help regarding dogfood

vektor

I was just about to buy my dog another 40 lb bag of IAMS. I should introduce my dog first My dogs name is Isaac and he's a seven year old black lab.He grew up eating eukanuba as I thought it was the best food out there( or so my former vet told me) I've been feeding him Iams as I thought it was the next best and money has been tight latley. I love my dog very much and want the best for him. He's very healthy and his coat is beautiful. I did a google search on Iams vs Eukanuba as I wanted to see if I could justify the added expense,thats when I came across some very pointed negative comments about the Iams company originating from this forum, That thier food is sub standard and that they practice animal cruelty. Well I like to think of myself as an aware and conscientous consumer, and if all this is true I guess I'm not that aware or conscientous at all. Please enlighten me and give me some tips as to a good quality large breed food for aging dogs ( my dog has some aches joint trouble I think) He needs food now but I'll be waiting to hear back fom you guys before I go and buy food so I hope someone is paying :(

Welcome! For many years I also used Iams/Eukanuba. It isn't the top quality food out there by any means nor the worse. My dogs did do very well on it just as your lab has. One of my furpals now has allergies and I have found that a change to a higher quality food has made a great difference. There are many great foods out there. I have switched over to Blue Buffalo. Here is their website if you'd like to check it out: www.BlueBuff.com

I'm sure other members will give you many more options. 2 words of caution tho - always make the switch gradual and what works great for one dog may not be as agreeable for another.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
A raw food diet is always the best. Follow up kibble would be Innova, California Natural, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack, Solid Gold and a few others that I just happene dto forget. Hope that helps!

vektor

Thanks for the replies !! I did some quick research and was pleased to find that a local petshop near me sells Eaglepack Holistic and the price is reasonable so I went with that. I appreciate this great forum though and will check back.

Welcome!! I'd love to see pictures of your dog, I also have a labbie (in my avatar, she's a very dark chocolate). Eaglepack is a great food.

Saje

Island dweller
Excellent choice with the eagle pack and good for you for looking into it! That's what we like to see. I'm sure you'll find that the higher quality foods are not as expensive as they first appear since you don't need to feed as much - there is less waste in them.

And I do hope that you will stick around and tell us more about your dog.

Welcome to the forums!

Now I feed Maximum The bag says it's super preimum food, I'm buying at Walmart now, I don't see this brand in my LPS. Is this any good,

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I never heard of it, but I rarely ever shop at Wal-mart. I haven't heard of many dog foods though until I came here. I'm sure that someone can help you. Trying posting in the dog food section of this forum.

Members online

No members online now.