Sort of a breed-related rant...

wookie130

We're getting our basset hound puppy from a reputable breeder in early June, after literally waiting for ages for the moment to arrive...the pups were whelped successfully last Wednesday.

So, in preparation of the pups arrival in several weeks (or for what seems like eternity), I decided to do some on-line shopping/browsing for some pet supplies.

And much to my disgust and frustration, most of the REALLY cutesy, adorable, trendy-looking stuff is geared toward the toy breeds, and to the "tea-cup" designer dog fad (barf...er...excuse me). I also have a large golden retriever, and a chow/rottie/lab mix, and have yet to see ANY really COOL "upscale" looking products for larger breeds that are even remotely as "couture" as what is being geared for the Hilton-puppy wannabe's. I can find rather plain functional stuff that fits my large dogs, such as rain slickers, nice ceramic plain-jane dog bowls, nice leashes, etc. But...my chow/rottie/lab, as large and "in-charge" as she is, she's actually very lady-like and feminine, and I could see her with some of those pretty sequin hoodies, and rhinestone sweaters, and in a bedazzled blingy carrier for car rides and trips, etc.

Our basset puppy will be a female...and she too will grow to be a large-breed dog, although of short stature. Most of the t-shirts, and sweaters, and fun clothing items are really not made for a basset's build...they have almost abnormally deep chests, some can be rather girthy around the middle, and most of the sweaters aren't long enough to accommodate their lengthy bodies. Even the coats with the strap around the middle may not work for this breed...

So, why do the toys and designers have all the fun, anyway? Most of us large-breed lovers on here think our dogs are every bit as cute, and snuggly, and accessory-worthy as their tiny counterparts...

Hmmm...just an observation.

I think its because on average, the people who buy the little dogs are also the people who are more apt to dress them up like dolls whereas the people with larger dogs are more apt to treat them like real dogs and only put functional stuff on them...

Personally I would never put some of the ridiculous stuff they have out there in either of my dogs. I might for a picture or two just to have a laugh but I''ll pass for daily wear. I have also noticed that most of the ""girly dog stuff"" is very low quality, often using plastic buckles and such which my dogs would just snap anyways. And to top it all off, its lso generally horridly expensive.

showpug

Well, afterall, they aren't called toys for nothing ;)

I can see how annyoing it could be though. I have toy dogs and don't dress them up. I personally can't stand the "Hilton" dog accessory (sp) fad.

Good luck with your new puppy, bassets are adorable!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, none of my toys have been dressed up beyond a sports jersey for a laugh or a sweater for snow days, so I dunno if we're having all the fun lol. My dogs would much rather go nekkid.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My chis have a few shirts and sweaters, mainly to stay warm during our walks in the winter months. Rylie refuses to wear anything, though... she runs and hides when the sweaters come out of the drawer.

I'm not one for ridiciously expensive dog things which hold no purpose.

I really hope this fad goes away. I'm sick of people treating their toy breeds like babies.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I have 2 hoodies, a jumper and a coat for Cider. They never really get any use. Were adorable to buy, not practical... She wore the coat some in winter, but that's a bout it.

Instead I put bandannas on her...

NemoGirl

:yikes: Oh lord if I ever tried to put a bow or clothes on Nemo my husband would flip, so would Nemo:p I don't like clothes for dogs, not only does it look ridiculous (JMO) but it matts the hair. Nemo is in a puppy cut and his hair is so much easier for me to take care of now. Don't think everyone who owns a small dog puts clothes on them:D I don't and I have friends who don't either..
Andrea:)

wookie130

It's good to hear toy and small dog owners come out and proclaim that they treat their smaller pooches like dogs!

It's not that I'm particularly interested in buying a lot of froofy garbage for my dogs (after all, Puppy, the chow/rottie/lab mix is a lady one moment, and then rolling in the mud the next :p ), just some cuter items like ceramic dishes, 2 sweaters that are nice and will actually a FIT a very large dog (because even the XL sizes won't cut it for many large breeds, and certainly not for giant breeds), and perhaps a nice dog bed that is stylish AND large enough for a big dog.

One example of a ridiculous site I visited, was the Pampered Puppy site...lovely items, OUTRAGEOUS prices, and not too many options for bigger dogs. I was really most mortified by their prices...

NemoGirl

In my avatar I have a sweater on Nemo, because it was right after his surgery and he was shaved so he was so cold, so that is why I put it on him.
I would never spend those outrageous prices for clothes for dogs, I would rather spend the money on me:D ..I don't have a problem with it:) some people like to do it and to each his own, just not my thing..
Andrea

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Maggie has a Tshirt, a coat, and a bumble bee costume. The Tshirt was just for laughs because it says Rockstar ;). The coat was for in the winter after she was trimmed to keep her warm. Its also to keep her dry in the rain. And the Bumble Bee costume was just for laughs. But its not an every day thing.

I do agree with what OC said though.

bubbatd

With having Goldens they only wore something for therapy visits or costume parties . Elin's Eli (Lab) seemed cold one night , so she put him in her down vest ! Seemed to love it !

A

Angel Chicken

Hey now... Kona is one of those doggies that dress to impress!

She loves it though... she loves to get ohh'ed and ahh'ed at when she wears her pink hoodie or her pink fleece coat.

Wookie-- there are solutions for this... for instance, I used to dress my childhood rottie in large t-shirts for men (he was a boy ). If I am not correct, a medium would be PERFECT for a Basset.

I am no dog designer though ;) I do however, think that your little basset will be adorable in a cute sweater with her little stubby legs :D

mrose_s

BusterLove
i'm going to look into sewing all sized dog coats made from op-shop clothes. i think you could make some pretty cool stuff from that.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
theres no reason why you cant make your own from people clothes with a little modification, theres also lots of places online that cater to the bigger pooches.

we own a boutique for small dogs, but we also cater to the bigger doggy diva with a line of big dog coture and sparklies, but its so easy to make your own out of people clothes and people jewlery!

Ya bandannas, I love putting them on Hershey, he looks like a good old working dog. ;) Bandannas, are better than nothing! :) And they look good on dogs. But other than that, the clothes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Just today I ran across a greyhound clothing website, which caters specifically to large breeds. To me, the most hilarious is the unitard. :popcorn:

www.nonudehounds.com

Anyway, pretty interesting. I kind of like the raincoat design, and if I ever had a dog that needed weather protection I'd probably go there.

wookie130

Those unitards were funny!!!! I couldn't imagine big ol' Melvin in one of those!!!!!!!!!!!

I did like the raincoats, and some of the fleece coats...nice web store! She uses some cute fabrics!

Members online

No members online now.