Another attack on purebred dogs.

Doberluv

Oh that makes me so furious!:madgo:

I don't know if this is a very good letter or even very accurate with information. But I scrambled this out just now and emailed it. Tell me what you think. It's really too long, but that's typical of me. Uggg.

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to you in response to your slam against purebred dogs, using the term “hoity toity.†The canine “pageant†to which you mockingly refer, is not just a beauty pageant. Conformation shows are for a purpose. I’ll explain: Purebred dogs were developed for many, many years and selectively bred so that these various purebreds would all come out fairly uniformly and be patterned to excel in specialized work. For example: A German Shepherd Dog was bred to herd sheep and protect them. There are many herding breeds that are good at various types of herding. There are livestock guardian breeds, such as the Great Pyrenees that was designed to blend in with sheep and guard against wolf attacks. There are hunting dogs of various types, some better at going into very cold water to retrieve ducks, some better at upland hunting. There are hounds, good at what they do which is rather independent of their owner…they don’t work closely with their owner but can tree animals without instruction from their owner. There are terriers that get rid of disease causing vermin.

Now, before breeding any dog, certain criteria should be met. Health, including genetic health testing, striving to eliminate genetic maladies which compromise the health of dogs, temperament testing, conformation should be very important because without correct build, health problems can result.

Who is to decide which dogs are worthy of being bred, which dogs will keep to a breed standard, which outlines what conformation they should have as well as what kind of temperament is conducive to this particular breed and the job it does? That’s where these shows come in and judges experienced with the breeds rate dogs as far as adhering to the breed’s written standard. Only the best should be bred so we can keep all these pure breeds uniform and able to do the jobs they were bred to do. That is the point of conformation showing. There are enough purebred dogs to suit anyone’s needs or wants. So, haphazard breeding should be eliminated and only the reputable breeders who know the science behind good breeding should take on this task.

There’s not a thing wrong with mixed breed dogs per say, unless someone wants some specific, specialized traits to suit his life style. He may not find that in a mixed breed or it could be a lot of guess work. Mixed breed dogs appeal to many. I’ve had some myself. My son has a lovely mixed breed dog. But if all that were allowed to exist were mixed breeds, we’d lose all the wonderful purebred dogs we have and mixed breed dogs would keep breeding (or we’d lose all dogs) and eventually, there’d be only one kind of dog…a melting pot of all and specialized temperaments, physical ability for various skills would be lost. Mixed breed dogs are not typically bred by reputable breeders and health testing is not done. It is a myth that mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds. They can still have these genetic maladies since they derived from purebreds somewhere back there. People breed these designer breeds which are mixed breeds, not a pure breed and you see often times very poor temperaments. And there are irresponsible breeders who do the same with purebred dogs. Not every breeder is a reputable and responsible breeder who knows what they're doing. Don’t clump lousy breeders with responsible breeders striving to improve and maintain quality purebred dogs.

Not being an expert with the science of this, I can not say what all the implications could be if people were to outlaw reputable purebred dog breeders and your “hoity toity†dog shows. But I know one thing. It could be disastrous.

This kind of uninformed, ignorant blasting of something you know nothing about is, this misinformation thrown out at the public is incredibly irresponsible and damaging. I hope you make some kind of retraction.

Doberluv

If these morons even knew what went into the beginnings of creating a Border Collie to cut off their sequence of predatory motor patterns so that they could orient, stalk, chase, and then not kill. (which would have happened before evolution changed wolves into dogs) So, besides probable natural changes, human selection has brought about breeds that are highly specialized in what they do. WTF is wrong with these idiots who think a melting pot of whatever is left after they get through interfering is going to be any good for anything? I think if there ever is a law to stop reputable purebred breeding, good breeders and supporters are just going to have to ignore it. It's just outrageous! Of course, those in power are taking away our rights in every corner.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
If these morons even knew what went into the beginnings of creating a Border Collie to cut off their sequence of predatory motor patterns so that they could orient, stalk, chase, and then not kill. (which would have happened before evolution changed wolves into dogs) So, besides probable natural changes, human selection has brought about breeds that are highly specialized in what they do. WTF is wrong with these idiots who think a melting pot of whatever is left after they get through interfering is going to be any good for anything? I think if there ever is a law to stop reputable purebred breeding, good breeders and supporters are just going to have to ignore it. It's just outrageous! Of course, those in power are taking away our rights in every corner.
Yeah ... And where to they think the MUTTS they love so much come from? GASP ... PURE BRED's ... Oh the horror. xD

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Yeah ... And where to they think the MUTTS they love so much come from? GASP ... PURE BRED's ... Oh the horror. xD
Wait no haven't you heard? It's the OPPOSITE!
All purebreds are actually mutts because they were created by mutts.

...I really hate when people use that argument when I speak against breeding "designer" dogs.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Honestly, as long as the parents are health tested, have stable temperaments, and the breeders screen potential homes and will take back pups later in life I have no issue with "designer" dogs. The majority of "designer" dog breeders don't do that of course, but the majority of purebred breeders don't either. That may not be the case with more rare breeds, but with popular breeds like labs and goldens there are TONS of irresponsible breeders.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Honestly, as long as the parents are health tested, have stable temperaments, and the breeders screen potential homes and will take back pups later in life I have no issue with "designer" dogs. The majority of "designer" dog breeders don't do that of course, but the majority of purebred breeders don't either. That may not be the case with more rare breeds, but with popular breeds like labs and goldens there are TONS of irresponsible breeders.
Yep, I used to be hardcore "breeding mixes is ALWAYS irresponsible" but now as long as there's health testing and some sort of goal, which for me includes solid family temperaments, then I'm fine with it. I prefer purebreds with the exception of the rare sport mix (oh, borderwhippets) and would prefer to see them trying to develop a new breed rather than just constantly producing F1 crosses, but you know what? As long as health & temperament are paramount, the breeder stands behind the dogs and the pups all have homes... it's all fine by me.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Yep, I used to be hardcore "breeding mixes is ALWAYS irresponsible" but now as long as there's health testing and some sort of goal, which for me includes solid family temperaments, then I'm fine with it. I prefer purebreds with the exception of the rare sport mix (oh, borderwhippets) and would prefer to see them trying to develop a new breed rather than just constantly producing F1 crosses, but you know what? As long as health & temperament are paramount, the breeder stands behind the dogs and the pups all have homes... it's all fine by me.

If the breeders were investing that amount of time and work into the mixes and breeding for a viable goal, absolutely I would have no issue with it.
I see it a lot with sport mixes, and while I personally don't think I'd own a Border Staffy, I can see their advantages within the flyball world.

But what I tend to see far more often is not only no testing, but a plethora of lies to go along with it.
"This "Labradoodle" is perfect for families with allergies because they are just like labradors that don't shed!"
"Rare hybrid"
"Only grows to the size of a Pomeranian"
"Guaranteed to be healthier than a purebred" - on the basis that the dog is a mix, and not based on genetic testing.

On another note..I'm wondering now if Ruby could be a Border Whippet....hmmm

elegy

overdogged
yup yup yup. i don't take issue with intentional mixes provided the breeder meets the standards that i have that apply across the board. i am lucky enough to know a few people who do breed flyball mixes and who do it very well. people i'd be willing to buy a dog from, purebred or mixed.

BostonBanker

yup yup yup. i don't take issue with intentional mixes provided the breeder meets the standards that i have that apply across the board. i am lucky enough to know a few people who do breed flyball mixes and who do it very well. people i'd be willing to buy a dog from, purebred or mixed.
Start dropping my name around them with lots of positive adjectives, so that when I'm ready for my next dog in 4 or 5 years, I have half a prayer of getting on a list, would you? ;)

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
If the breeders were investing that amount of time and work into the mixes and breeding for a viable goal, absolutely I would have no issue with it.
I see it a lot with sport mixes, and while I personally don't think I'd own a Border Staffy, I can see their advantages within the flyball world.

But what I tend to see far more often is not only no testing, but a plethora of lies to go along with it.
"This "Labradoodle" is perfect for families with allergies because they are just like labradors that don't shed!"
"Rare hybrid"
"Only grows to the size of a Pomeranian"
"Guaranteed to be healthier than a purebred" - on the basis that the dog is a mix, and not based on genetic testing.

On another note..I'm wondering now if Ruby could be a Border Whippet....hmmm
And you get the same sort if misdirection with BYB purebred breeders.
"RARE Polar Bear golden retrievers!" (Really light colored goldens)
"CHAMPION lines!"
"Vet checked" (but not health tested)
"Rare white Labradors!" (really light colored yellow labs)
"Rare blue pittbulls!"
"Teacup!"
"Perfect family guard dogs"
"Rare silver labs!"

Irresponsible breeding is irresponsible breeding no matter what kind of dogs are being produced. Maybe I just can't get that worked up about cross breeding in dogs because I was involved in horses before I got dogs, and in the horse world crossbreeding is not nearly the cardinal sin that it is in dogs.

crazedACD

I agree, if it's going to be done then I can agree with responsible breeding. But I guess more or less on a 'if you can't beat em, join em' basis :p. I don't really care for mixing breeds in general though, I have a hard time believing out of what..like 500 dog breeds, that there are isn't something suitable for what you need them for. And I take more offense to small dogs being bred (cockapoos and puggles and whatnot), because I don't really see why someone would need a cockapoo to sit on their lap over a cocker spaniel or toy poodle themselves. I'm more ok with working (herding, hunting, service, etc) mixes...I guess I feel better about it if there is a specific need that current breeds do not fill. But, that is my lowly opinion and I'm not going to get worked up about all of it...it is what it is. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Agreed, a lot of ranchers cross breed working dogs, whether for herding / ranch work or hog hunting, even LGD's are sometimes crossbred in this area

Lol hey don't say "Mastweiller" too loudly or before you know it you will start seeing "Mastweiller" adds on CL and in newspapers everywhere :rofl1:
I googled English mastiff Rottweiler mix when I brought him home from the people who were getting rid of him almost 6 years ago and that's the 'breed' that popped up. Then a few weeks after we got him (he was 7-8 months old) my husband saw a litter in a mall in Edmonton with a price of $3500 each!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I agree, if it's going to be done then I can agree with responsible breeding. But I guess more or less on a 'if you can't beat em, join em' basis :p. I don't really care for mixing breeds in general though, I have a hard time believing out of what..like 500 dog breeds, that there are isn't something suitable for what you need them for. And I take more offense to small dogs being bred (cockapoos and puggles and whatnot), because I don't really see why someone would need a cockapoo to sit on their lap over a cocker spaniel or toy poodle themselves. I'm more ok with working (herding, hunting, service, etc) mixes...I guess I feel better about it if there is a specific need that current breeds do not fill. But, that is my lowly opinion and I'm not going to get worked up about all of it...it is what it is. :)
This.

Members online

No members online now.