I came home yesterday to find...

Kayla

Glass and blood all over the kitchen floor!:eek:

While I was out running errands I had put Mavrick in his crate and a family member let him out while a glass cookware dish was full of casserole, needless to say all of the casserole was eaten, and many of the larger glass pieces had blood on it. Mavrick walked up to greet me with blood all over his mouth, not a great sight.

I gave them both a few slices of whole wheat bread, checked paws which are ok and kept an eye on them, no vomiting and no blood in stools this morning.

I took Mav to the vet this afternoon and did x-rays, they did show what the vet believes are small shards of glass within the gut but no internal bleeding or gas pockets to suggest that they are bothering any organs. She recommended continuing to bulk up his stools with whole wheat bread and I'm doing it for Duke as well as monitoring him.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and have to say I'm so grateful for my pet insurance.

Kimbers

Eeek, I bet that was terrifying!
Seems like everything's going okay, so I hope it stays that way.

Kayla

Thanks for the vibes everyone,

Duke just had his first bowel movement in 24 hours which is less usual for him, no blood thankfully it was mixed between solid and firm like it generally is and also complete liquid, his tummy is very sore though so were going to go to the vet for x-rays tommorow.

Duke and I just spent some time cuddeling on the floor, I love them both to death, but Duke is just such an amazing gentle soul I hope everything goes ok on his x-ray too.

I think there both going to be ok, I can take them both to work thankfully to monitor them over the next few days.

I keep reminding myself there both likely to be ok, it's just hard not to worry. On a positive note I stayed really calm when I walked into the situation yesterday and didn't freak out the dogs.

milos_mommy

EESH, I'm keeping them in my thoughts. That's definitely a scary situation, but it sounds pretty positive so far.

spiffy

I can understand your concern. We treat our pets as our babies and it is understandable if we freak out when this kind of situation occurs. Glad to know that Maverick appears to be OK though still sending vibes your way. Good luck!!

Xandra

TYPICAL DOG. Breaks the casserole dish, cuts the crap out of himself and still can't help but gobble up everything.

Here's to hoping the shards just pass on through....

Kayla

TYPICAL DOG. Breaks the casserole dish, cuts the crap out of himself and still can't help but gobble up everything.
I know eh, dogs= ridiculous

So far so good, I've continued bulking up both their meals and just continuing to monitor them and bringing them to work with me.

It's hard living at home controlling what other people do, but especially for keeping out food, I think I'll just have to be sure to run Mavrick before running errands in the future as he doesn't typically bark in his crate otherwise (which is why he was let out in the first place).

Thanks for ze vibes

Mach1girl

When Zeus ate a thumbtack, we were told to feed him 2 cotton balls soaked in a gravy or something. The cotton will catch on sharp edges as it passes thru the inside and soften the passing of the sharps...

Members online

No members online now.