Working GSD Breeder

Does anyone know any breeders that consistently title and produce dogs that title at the highest level of something other then Schh? FR3, MR3, PSA? Not looking for ANY TIME soon but in the distant future.

Red Chrome

I don't know any working GSD breeder that titles highly in AKC OB,herding or the likes. Some do it in addition to Schutzhund, FR,MR,PSA. But most working GSDs I know are bred for Schutzhund or the likes.

I don't know any working GSD breeder that titles highly in AKC OB,herding or the likes. Some do it in addition to Schutzhund, FR,MR,PSA. But most working GSDs I know are bred for Schutzhund or the likes.
Yeah like I said I worded it pretty poorly ;) Im looking for FR MR PSA KNPV ect just not SchH/IPO

most of the big trainers that do title at the highest level with GSD's do so in IPO. There are a handful of MR people in this country, I think I've trained with 90% of them that have ever titled and there aren't many using GSD's. FR isn't much bigger. PSA? we'll see if that org makes it thru the year.

You're not going to find many GSD's trained in much other than IPO here or most places, just because IPO is by far the largest and people not training in that are usually using Mal's.

Your chances of finding a kennel and group of trainers working together to title at a high level in Ring sports isn't all that high. Does't mean there aren't dogs out there that can't do it, just the best are usually sold into IPO homes because that's where the interest and money is at for GSD's.

I know a few my self just looking for others to look into finding people to work with here not an issue. I myself prefer FR and the like Im not much for IPO and *I'M* a dutchie person but my husband prefers GSD and is pretty anti HH so GSD is our compromise.

Aleron

most of the big trainers that do title at the highest level with GSD's do so in IPO. There are a handful of MR people in this country, I think I've trained with 90% of them that have ever titled and there aren't many using GSD's. FR isn't much bigger. PSA? we'll see if that org makes it thru the year.

You're not going to find many GSD's trained in much other than IPO here or most places, just because IPO is by far the largest and people not training in that are usually using Mal's.
It seems the registration of working line GSDs is IPO based too. Does SV/USA recognized say French Ring as a "working title" for registration of GSDs?

No not huge that isn't what you ask now is it? You asked what's worth anything. But there is a very fair number doing in North America yes ( Mal/Dutch, KNPV Mutts). I know Im going against what most are bred for that's why Im asking others if they knew any because I care very little about IPO. I prefer HH but GSD is the compromise.

Red Chrome

I screw around with FR stuff with my boy. Bur the closest club is 5 hours away from me. We do PP type stuff as well to vary from IPO. But for the most part you wont find a lot of FR GSDs. For one thing, the size is a big deterrent for decoys. Catching a large GSD that is hard hitting on a leg bite can easily blow a kknee out. Same with the large Mals which is why *I* think I see more small Mals in FR.

What is it about IPO you dislike? When you were trialing did you find a particular thing unsatisfactory?

Why do you call the breed HH?
Oh oops didnt even notice I did that Hollandse Herder when Im talking to people in some countries... Its been a long day. Its not a particular dislike really just a preference and more what Im used to. Im not looking to do anything competitively if I were Id just get a KNPV bred mutt and trial in Europe. If only I had an infinite amount of money to do that ;)

But I am not looking for a breeder to get a pup more just interested interested in looking into lines I know of a few that have FR3 dogs from resent going back into the 60-70's some further maybe I didnt dig that deep into it.

For one thing, the size is a big deterrent for decoys. Catching a large GSD that is hard hitting on a leg bite can easily blow a kknee out. Same with the large Mals which is why *I* think I see more small Mals in FR.
Plus, in the higher levels of ring, the esquive is a big part of the bitework. Smaller Mals are much more agile and able to adjust to the decoy's moves at the last minute, whereas a fast decoy could dodge a large slow GSD all day. ;) Then there are the crazy jump heights and lengths which are also easier for lighter Mals and impossible (or much harder on the body) for some larger GSDs.

Of course, these are generalizations, but like you said, there's a reason that you see a lot of small Mals in ring.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Oh oops didnt even notice I did that Hollandse Herder when Im talking to people in some countries... Its been a long day. Its not a particular dislike really just a preference and more what Im used to. Im not looking to do anything competitively if I were Id just get a KNPV bred mutt and trial in Europe. If only I had an infinite amount of money to do that ;)
I'm still curious why the preference and what you think will be better than the time you spent trialing in IPO.

I ask this of anyone changing sports actually, just for curiosity sake.

I'm still curious why the preference and what you think will be better than the time you spent trialing in IPO.

I ask this of anyone changing sports actually, just for curiosity sake.
Oh I dont mind Im not changing thats the problem I dont think I would like IPO as much. But Im pretty anti change to anything :lol-sign: I would prefer a KNPV dog but I think Im the only one in my house that wouldn't want to kill him on a daily basis. So a breed with more of an off switch (aka having one) is a must. I may end up when the time comes quite a few years from now just end up doing some PP work if I dont move some where closer to a group I think I can title with. Im not set on GSD but Im kinda limited I was thinking about a Beauceron from LES OMBRES VALEUREUX. Or from Tim Welch if I could get an Avatar baby dont know if he is breeding him again though. Or just an Avatar clone....

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Avatar is a nice dog... Not sure he's anything like a knpv dog but nice.

IPO tests the handler a lot, asks for strict control, obedience, drive but balance, focus, and composure. It's hard for some people to enjoy because of that challenge, it gets at your nerves.

We have considered training with the MR group here but I like more structure. Eventually we'll put Sloan on a suit tho but not until her IPO career is where we want it, she's already too prone to be dirty. ;)

I know a lot switched to MR for the sheer number of bites, I'm always interested tho in reasons, I misunderstood and thought you had experience in IPO.

Nope just other way around its more of a case of I know what I like I dont know if Ill like this so why rock the boat? Avatar is a FRIII boy with some really great dogs behind him. If she is a dirty biter youll have tons of fun in MR :rofl1: But where I am now I dont know any clubs to train with just some individual people there was talk of us all getting a group going but that was 2 years ago and it hasn't gone anywhere. Your making IPO sound appealing though I like the amount of control and for once I wont be the terrible one liking an off breed XD (other then my fancy for Dutchies of course).

Members online