House training in a truck.

DanB

Our Boston Terrier is 11 wks 3 days old, and we have had her since she was 8wks and a day. We got her from a local breeder, saw the parents, and watched the puppies interact with each other and older dogs. We both drive a truck(semi) and decided on a Boston based on our research. Molly is our forth dog and second puppy together. She is currently our only dog.

Our problem is truck(house) breaking. I believe we are confusing her a bit. We were home for the first 3 days after we got her, then on the truck for 2 weeks and 4 days, now back home for 2 days, leaving tomorrow for another 10 days or so. We started to use potty pads and she thinks they taste great, so I sprayed some stuff to let her know this is the bathroom and Molly loves this extra treat as well.

Out of frustration I started taking her out of the truck to use the bathroom but she spends all of her time exploring and eating everything. I realize there is a lot to see when outside, other trucks moving, people, new kinds of plants to eat, and even different turf to go potty on depending in where in the country we are. No matter how long (or little) we stay outside most of the time it is spent exploring then back in the truck so she can make a mistake. I have tried to limit the amount of area she can use/explore for a bathroom area, including switching leash lengths.

Personally I would like to use the potty pads as we are sometimes at a shipper/receiver for many hours at a time and they may not have convenient grass/turf for dogs to relieve themselves. I get that consistency is the key. I just would like Molly to realize that she should go on the pads instead of playing on them and then relieving herself some where inappropriate in the truck. She doesn't give any warning just squat and go all in one motion.

We usually drive in shifts one in the daytime the other at night. She is crated when we are unable to watch/play with her. She is out of the crate when we switch who is driving, get fuel, use the restroom ourselves, stretch our legs, or stop for any length of time.

She is smart. By the end of week 8 we had her giving kisses instead of mouthing us (most of the time). She gets so much praise for doing right that she goes bonkers in a good way.

I tried to cover the important details, but probably missed some so please feel free to ask for whatever I may have left out.

Thanks,
Dan

BTW I will be able to read/ reply on the road but it may not be as timely as when at home. I'll do my best.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Hey Dan,

This must be the most unique housebreaking ever! I think the wee wee pads sounds like a necessity- you can't stop the truck every hour to potty the puppy and she should be going every hour or so right now.

I would first recommend that you get a small box and tape your pads down inside the box for a while. Taping them down will stop her from playing, the box will help her to stay in the area until she potties. I would put her in the box at least every hour for a minute or two while you watch her. If she potties, tell her she's fabulous the she can have some play time on the floor for 10 mintues or so (while you're pretty sure she won't make a mistake). The rest of the time you either practice the puppy airlift or crate her.

This is just for a few days until she is getting the hang of the training. As she improves you can cut the sides down on the box, at least on one side, so she can get in on her own. Then I would set her up an indoor potty area with the potty box, her bed or crate and food and water bowls if you want. You'll need to keep taping the pads down and make sure she has a cozy bed and yummy chew toys so she doesn't play with the pads.

Make sure you get her out for some real exercise during your stops- 90% of raising a puppy is keeping those little guys stimulated, exercised and ready for a nap ;)

Good Luck!

DanB

Thanks for the info. This last trip she has gotten much better at holding it, and taking care of business outside. Only two mistakes this trip.

My wife read that it is possible to train dogs/puppies to go outside most of the time, then on a pad when needed for people that have limited access to the outside. Since Molly has progressed well going outside we'll continue with it. Stopping about every 2 hours is good for my circulation/alertness/peace of mind as well. Normally she sleeps throughout the night.

For those times when we can't go outside I like your pad in a box plan and will try it soon as we can get ahold of a box the right size. We may have to practice this as I have found that we usually can go outdoors if we are conciderate and mind our manners.

Sorry about the late reply, air card coverage seems worse than I remember.

Thanks again for the help,
Dan

Members online

No members online now.