the onyx saga is getting worse

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
don't know if anyone is still interested in this story, but i will post it in case your curious. Today the landlord came over and i heard mary growl a little..i had let them out on the porch because i heard onyx barking there for i knew she was chained. Mary didn't mean anything about it..it is just her way of saying someone is coming and she doesn't recognize them yet. I put her so she wouldn't follow us to the water meter hole in the ground because my meter is not in my yard. Victor in the meantime is on his lion rug..on a 12 ft leash tied to the porch post. All of a sudden her comes Onyx full hackels and heading for Victor like a freight train. He is no fool, but has figured out he is in deep dodo being tied he cant run away from her, and he is trying to scale the house to get away. Onyx is easily twice his size in weight. I do not think of him as a coward, but i think he is instead very very smart.
I realized there is no way i am going to get to the front door to get him into safety..so i am running with my glass of ice tea in my hnd..i am shouting in my meanest voice NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and then i threw my ice tea in her face..just inches from my Victor who is now so tangled up in pots and plants that he can't move..a sitting duck. Amazingly the NO's and the tea worked..she swerved off behind the house..i shouted IN THE CAR..and she made a bee line for it.
IN the meantime woman of the house is all most to my house in the car..so she saw the whole thing..man of the house has toddlers corraled in the front yard of his house. I took Onyx home. He asked me if i thought the invisible fence would hold a 4 year old tuff woman like Onyx, i said i don't know that is why i brought u information with all the pros AND cons. I said a hot wire will tho. I explained about how my friend Kelly put up a small fenced yard behind her house and ran a hot wire around the top. He said his father has a box he can use. That was too close..and my landlord saw it as well...remember that Onyx picked his sheltie up and shook her like a ragdoll..punctures, bleeding and a vet trip. When he turned them in they turned him in saying that he let his dog run all over the neighborhood which is an out and out lie. His dog is like Mary and never but never leaves his property. She follows him everywhere he goes. I have a left eye headache now. My nerves are shook, i am angry, I will take her myself and have her put to sleep if she bites my dogs again. I won't send her to the pound..that isn't right, fear and gas barrel or how ever they do it, she doen'st deserve that. Worst part is give me Onyx (if i didn't have Vic and Mary) and i could turn it all around. i hate these people..i try so hard not to hate but my god how much am i suppose to put up with. I do not want to be responsible for killing Onyx. This weekend there better be a wire enclosure and a hot wire..and there simply can't be anymore of this! :mad: :mad:

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I think you have been more than patient with them!! You have given them lots of chances to get themselves together!! What more do they want from you? Do they want you to go round, put the fence up for them, and train their dog?!!!
That would make me very angry too!!

smkie, you are a very kind and patient person. They don't sound very responsible or caring at all. I have neighbors like that....they let their stupid dog get loose and run into other people's yards. I know that if he ever came in contact with Tippy, he'd probably be torn to bits. She doesn't tolerate pesky dogs (but to be fair he's young).

Good luck with them!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i already sent her to the pound once..i didn't sleep that night and felt like i had a lump in my throat for two days..had a headache to go right along with it. If i send her she is dead..period. Victor is now afraid to sit on the porch..he sits in the doorway. the front door was just open..(it is hot in here and i don't have a fan yet but i dont want to turn the air on cause of money..anyway i was just in the other room and he cried..he was scared..he is just a little boy, like Logan (and logan is 10 years old so i was right) i can't stand this situation anymore but dont make me kill a dog..it would be the same if i had to go put a bullet in her to send her to the pound..it is all the same thing to me. the bullet would probably be kinder..the raytown pound is huge and frightening. EVen i reek of fear when i leave there. Just d@#$ it. if i hesitate and Victor does get torn up it is going to be my fault for not sending her sooner..please someone just come relieve me of this whole bad scene. it is making me insane.
I told logan i would give him ten dollars a month for walking Vic round the block once or twice a week. I thought that was a good amount and about all i can afford..so he came today but said he was afraid that if he got down the street Onyx might get loose again and he was frightened so he asked me to walk with him. So i am now walking with Logan..that part i don't mind..the fact that he can't have the one on one time with an incredible animal that is well trained and responds quickly to command ..i want him to have the feeling of being a real dog handler. I want him to know the joy and pride that comes when handling an animal with confidence. Onyx's people were scared, the children were frightened that this time their dog will die..they are just little kids.;one looks about 8, the others are 3 and under or abouts. The man of the house was absolutely green with worry. Pray they do SOMETHING RIGHT this time.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
They sound extremely irresponsible, and they shouldn't even have a dog. Why do they keep her, if they can't take care of her? Maybe you can talk them into getting rid of her...Good luck! I hope Vic starts to feel better!!

gapeach

Big Mutts
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this Smkie, I wish I could make it go away for you, all I can do is say I'm thinking about you.

smkie you have the patience of a saint. I cant say for sure but if I were in your shoes, Onyx would have "must have run off, havent seen her sorry" by now and off to a rescue she would go.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the ones i called have a waiting list of a year or more. I would oh believe me i would in a skinny minute if i knew someone would take her.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Smkie, I'm really hoping that the situation changes for everyone. I do feel for you. Logan is a great kid and it's too bad that he can't walk Vic without the fear of another dog attacking. What is the problem with some dog owners. I hope today is a better day for everyone.

I'm guessing that when they tie her she's on a collar? It would help if they'd put a harness on her instead of a collar. It's much more difficult for a dog to slip a harness! And if she's breaking a chain, why not use a heavy-duty cable? I hate to think of a dog spending it's life on a chain, but unless they figure out how to put up a fence that will hold her, I'm afraid that's her only chance at life . . .

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Their toddler was the one that unsnapped the chain this time.

Sounds like some kids need some discipline . . . maybe they need to be told that if they turn the dog loose again and it causes trouble they will be responsible for her death. Harsh, maybe, but not as harsh as having their dog killed.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Three years old dont understand things like that.but the 8 year old was in near panic..three year old children just dooo things..Aaron did some dillys at that age. He once filled my ice tea glass with cat kibble when my back was turned. man of the house said he was going immediately to the hardware store to get a latch the child couldn'nt undo. wish that brought me some kind of peace of mind but it doesn't. last night Vic didn't want anything to do with the porch..even with the door open and him inside. He so enjoyed watching his world too. He still gets to go to moms and play with Shaffer so until things are resolved..i will keep the door shut..and either be hot or pay for a fan and the air. It is so nice this time of year to be able to have the door open before the world gets buggy..but that is a moot point compared to haveing a dog killed.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
They left the toddler alone??? There is no way the kid could've unsnapped that chain if the parents were around...Does Onyx live outside? If not, then I don't see any reason why they don't keep her indoors, and take her out only on leash. If she doesn't live indoors, and they can't contain her outside, they should get rid of her.

They need a big, covered kennel, so she can't climb out. And, they need to put something under it so she can't dig her way out.

Good luck with them.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Renee 3 year old boys and 3 year old girls are two different animals..my experience with the boys is they do things anyway..they are onery! Girls you can reason with and explain and expect them to understand. AAron at 3..took a magic marker and made himself spiderman.loved to get a pack of cigerettes and roll out the tobacco.(that was back in the days before i quit and we were very poor so i had to shell out only a couple a day) .+KNEW HE WASN"T supose to, but did it anyway..blew in ashtrays.drew on walls if you forgot a pencil for even a second he would confiscate it and sneak it into the other room..he was fast too...omg he was a terror on feet. My absolute favorite was when he got up at 4 30 am got the big jar of vasoline out of the bathroom (the only lotion i could afford) coated his whole body and especially his hair, the front of the fish tank, the tv, and the window and then poured a box of birdseed over his head. That is how i found him at 5 30 am when i woke up to his giggling. After that i put a lock on his door tho you are not suppose to..he was sneaking up earlier and earlier just to get into stuff. He would wake and find he had poured cheerios out on the floor and then put my pennyloafers on and was stepping on them to enjoy the crunch. He took my bowl of bead when i was doing bead work once and slung it across the room (ever try to get cech glass beads out of the cracks of the floor) oh my i could go on. The best (oh he would wring my neck) was when he coloured his private parts purple with a crayola marker and then it wouldn't wipe off..i was watching from around the corner and he did'n't know i was there..i about bust a gut trying not to laugh cause he knew he had a problem now. Then they grow into men and you can't expect much more (just kidden) they don't think. period. Shoot Hyia licked dirt yesterday..my mom looked out the window and saw her do it. she was planting her little Merrygold in her pot and just stuck out her tongue. Now we have told her a dozen times to leave rocks and dirt alone, only food goes in the mouth and she is 5!
It is all on the grown ups..not the babies i think. He said he was getting a latch that you had to pull the sleeve down to get to the mechanism..i think i know wht he is tallking about. the woman of the house said she was coming up the basement stairs to the door and Onyx knocked her clean off her feet and down the stairs to get out the door. I am not making excuses for them, just trying to be fair sort of..in a way..oh my god i don't know what i am saying......I wish i could hate that big brassy bossy black lab..i wish i didn't feel toward her the way i do. The smart ones are always the most difficult.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Knocked her over?? OMG They can't control her at all, by the sound of it...They need to find her a new home, far away from you and Mary and Vic!

OMG Don't let Aaron find out you put that on the net :p He'd die....LOL made me laugh though :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Purr..he was about 7 when i told him to wipe off the tables and the counters in the kitchen. I came in and he had the large roll of aluminum foil i had just bought, wound around his head until he looked like Sat nite live's cone heads..and had taken the wooden chopsticks and pushed them thru the foil to make antlers, or antennas...i wanted to be mad but you just couldn't. We used the foil from his "hat" until it was gone. I wrote a poem that night about how i never wanted to forget and i never wanted that part to change..later i lost it and wished i hadn't. He was very creative..usually at all the wrong times and places. I never scolding him for anything like that, but he was an exasperating little boy. Once we were picking up the car at the mechanics..and it had been sitting in the sun all day. He was in the back seat cutting up so i told him to get his Behind up here now..He was old enough for seat belts and we didn't use boosters back then..anyway he climbed over the seat..knowing i was angry with him and sat down..on a coke can full of coke that had been sitting in the sun thru the window..when he sat down it exploded and he cried out "YOU HIT ME" of course i hadn't ..EVER so i was laughing, my daughter was laughing the whole car was full of hot sticky soda..that was my boy! Fortunately my dog forum holds almost no interest in his life so he won't know i am talking about him..and if he did..he can just live with it.

OMG! ROFLMAO! We'd have gotten KILLED if we'd ever done things like that! I guess boys are different than girls . . . I had crime and punishment figured out at a very early age. Before I did anything that might have consequences I'd decide what my odds were of getting caught, then I'd decide if the odds and the possible consequences balanced out against how badly I wanted to do whatever it was. Drove my Mom completely nuts. My younger sister just figured she'd be able to pin whatever it was she wanted to do on me . . . Drove me nuts. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.