My Friend

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
OK, so a friend of mine is a "breeder". I dont agree with her breeding practices, but what can I do? I have copied and pasted a convo we had over msn. She's a BYB but how do I stop it? I played dumb to get answers. She's actually the sister of a friend of mine. I do like her insptie of this. Yes I know she's a puppy mill, but what do I do about it? I do think she takes fairly good care of the dogs. Food/water wise. Her responses are in red and I deleated her name

Some ppl are only alive because it's illigal to shoot them says:
so any new litters?

ya 2

J.C . Some ppl are only alive because it's illigal to shoot them says:
what breeds/

min pin/toy manchester and bassit hound/begle

why crosses?

because that all i had to breed to at that time

Oh OK.

But isnt it better to breed purerbreds?

noo not always

How come?

because i'm short on males

That sucks.

How many do you have?

How many males/females

breeding age

oh ok i have about 19females and 5 males i think

Wow, thats alot.

You keep them in outside runs right?

yep

So how often can/do you breed a female?

Im asking the questions because Im interested in becoming a breeder eventually

you can breed a female 2 time a year

Ah, OK. So every heat then?

yep

What breeds do you have again?

poms, poddles,pug,minpins,bassit hounds.toy manchester terrier.rat terrier and a few others

must keep you busy

yep

So do you really HAVE to do all that health testing before you breed a female?

Like Hips, eyes, ears, ect.....

noo

So then why do alot of breeders do it then?

i don't know. I have some friends that are breeders and they don't do that.

what do they breed?

about the same are me maybe a few more

Are they were you get some of your breeding stock from or do you keep a pup from every litter?

both

OK.

So how old when you can breed a dog? I've been told that you have to wait untill they are two or older.

What is the MAX age? Again I've been told 6

i start breeding then after then ture 9 month and i don't breed then after the age of 6 to 7

So do you have contracts you make the buyers sign??

most the time i sale to the pet shops and they take what ever i give then

What about when you sell you private people?

then all i do is wright then a receit

Oh, so you dont have like non-breeding contracts and health garentees?

i will do a heath garentees but if any think going worng with the dog it has to be proven by a vet.

Oh, OK.

ya

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Total BYB...no, she's a puppymill. Tell her she's doing a disservice to every shelter in the US and that her animals are most likely mental wrecks.

makenzie71

First thing I get is that she's rather ignorant. Can you stop her? Likely no. Can you improve what she's doing by helping to educate her? Likely yes.

A lot of the things she told you are commonly viewed as bad...poor practice. No one in their right mind would volunteer such practices if they themselves were aware that it's "bad practice"...especially to a total stranger, who you posed to be (if I understood you correctly). I would start by going to her place and asking if she'd mind having your opinion and ideas on how to improve her situation. Evaluate everything she does concerning the dogs. It might also be very beneficial to get her one of those "books for dummies" about breeding practices, or an AKC/equivelant breeder's guide.

Working for the "elimination" of these practices, as well as approaching them with the spite of God, will get you absolutely nowhere in your cause.

Debi

sounds good in theory to educate her...but you won't do that either. I also have a friend that decided to be a 'breeder'. we both knew the same true breeder, and she decided it was an easy looking way to make money. so she bought a few dogs......and hasn't stopped since. she doesn't do any testing, no vet visits.......seems all she decided to remember from the real breeder is how to do the paperwork. will I stop her, or anybody else? nope...every litter sells like hotcakes, she makes at least $10,000. a year which funds her vacations. it's not illegal.....it just sucks. I tried to at least get her to feed the bitches a better diet.......she got annoyed with my butting in. bottom line......she'll continue exactly as she has. if people are going to continue to buy those puppies, BYBs are never going to end. AND, I'm shocked how quickly those puppies sell....no bargain prices either.

Fran27

I agree with Debi.. Those people just don't care. All we can do is try to educate people never to buy in such a place, and hope in the end people will stop buying from them and they will have to stop.

But wow, poor bitches. 2 litters a year from 9 months to 7 years...

J's crew

I would never consider being "friends" with someone of that caliber. What she is doing is disgusting and just plain wrong.

BTW, most puppymillers are very religious. Maybe it is their way of trying to save their soul for the terrible things they are doing.

Her responses seem like a pothead because she is uneducated and ignorant. Proved in her actions and her spelling. :mad:

bubbatd

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING !!!! And to think she's only one of millons !!!! That's why I wish every town had breeding licenses and stuck to the rules !!

RD

Are you dead yet?
:( :(

I have a "friend" who is the same way, literally a puppymill. I also have a friend who insisted on breeding her Chihuahuas at least once.

You can try, Jenn, but stopping these people is highly unlikely. They like the money they make on their litters more than they like their dogs.

Jynx

People like this don't want to be educated, they are in it for the money pure and simple.

Jenn, maybe she knows the breeder or IS the breeder, that Emma came from?I see she said she sells to pet stores and she has "friends" who practice the same breeding regime.

People like that disgust me.
diane

makenzie71

Jynx said:
People like this don't want to be educated, they are in it for the money pure and simple.
Not all of them are. Her answers seem to lean more toward ignorance than "business choice"...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
makenzie71 said:
Not all of them are. Her answers seem to lean more toward ignorance than "business choice"...
Agreed.

But. If she is THAT ignorant, I doubt very much she will have the mental capacity to see any wrong doing even when shown... :(

I mean - if you can't even tell you are being cruel - where is the hope??

Can but try to educate though!

~Tucker&Me~

I have a friend living several doors up from me.
They are BYB, and it sickens me.
I know they are ignorant, not in it for the money.
However, occasionally I will go and slip articles I have printed off the internet about good breeding ethics through their mail slot while they are at work.
:)
Once I even sent her a thread from Chaz...
LOL
It may seem bleak, but NEVER give up trying to educate these people.

~Tucker

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
~Tucker&Me~ said:
I have a friend living several doors up from me.
They are BYB, and it sickens me.
I know they are ignorant, not in it for the money.
However, occasionally I will go and slip articles I have printed off the internet about good breeding ethics through their mail slot while they are at work.
:)
Once I even sent her a thread from Chaz...
LOL
It may seem bleak, but NEVER give up trying to educate these people.

~Tucker
WTG sliping that info into their mail slot!! Just curious, what do they breed?:confused:

~Tucker&Me~

They have an intact male JRT (Jack Russell Terrier for anyone who doesn't know. When I first joined Chaz I was always confused by 'the language'. LOL)
I believe he is almost 2. Of course, not at all trained. Infact, he has growled at several people walking by. No titles, no papers, no health testing.
They just got a female puppy, and I believe she is 3 months. Again, no training, no health testing, no papers... Infact, they are thinking she may not even be pure JRT.
The male was hit by a car last year, and the family could barely afford the metal hip that now resides in his leg. How do they expect to pay for all the breeding expenses? Especially if there are complications?
I just don't understand some people.

~Tucker

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
~Tucker&Me~ said:
They have an intact male JRT (Jack Russell Terrier for anyone who doesn't know. When I first joined Chaz I was always confused by 'the language'. LOL)
I believe he is almost 2. Of course, not at all trained. Infact, he has growled at several people walking by. No titles, no papers, no health testing.
They just got a female puppy, and I believe she is 3 months. Again, no training, no health testing, no papers... Infact, they are thinking she may not even be pure JRT.
The male was hit by a car last year, and the family could barely afford the metal hip that now resides in his leg. How do they expect to pay for all the breeding expenses? Especially if there are complications?
I just don't understand some people.

~Tucker
So, they didn't breed yet?

Members online

No members online now.