Akitas

AliciaD

On second thought...
I have puppy fever and am breed shopping lol.

I have a few specific questions about Akitas, but I'll also welcome any informetion you have on them or stories about experiences with them.

1. I know that size, shape, and color differ between American styles and Japanese styles- but does temperment differ too?

2. Are Akitas escape artists or roamers? I can deal with a desire to explore and an independent nature but I don't necessarily want a breed that needs special enclosures or has a must hop fence mentality.

3. What are Akitas like training wise? I know they need consistency, but do they enjoy learning? Are they more on the energetic side or are they more calmer?

4. How do they guard their homes? I know they are aloof and can be wary of strangers, but will they actively prevent strangers from coming into the home if their owner isn't home? Do they have to have repeated exposure to a specific person in order to accept them or will they accept most strangers if socialized?

5. Do they tend to bond to one person over the entire family?

I haven't done much research on Akitas but their temperment sounds similar to Chows and I like that. I can't get a puppy so I'm fantasy breed shopping.

Thanks!

I have puppy fever and am breed shopping lol.

I have a few specific questions about Akitas, but I'll also welcome any informetion you have on them or stories about experiences with them.

1. I know that size, shape, and color differ between American styles and Japanese styles- but does temperment differ too?

2. Are Akitas escape artists or roamers? I can deal with a desire to explore and an independent nature but I don't necessarily want a breed that needs special enclosures or has a must hop fence mentality.

3. What are Akitas like training wise? I know they need consistency, but do they enjoy learning? Are they more on the energetic side or are they more calmer?

4. How do they guard their homes? I know they are aloof and can be wary of strangers, but will they actively prevent strangers from coming into the home if their owner isn't home? Do they have to have repeated exposure to a specific person in order to accept them or will they accept most strangers if socialized?

5. Do they tend to bond to one person over the entire family?

I haven't done much research on Akitas but their temperment sounds similar to Chows and I like that. I can't get a puppy so I'm fantasy breed shopping.

Thanks!
1. Temperament varies a lot within the breed. I have met many VERY nice ones, and many not quite so nice. No matter what "type" of Akita it is, it's really going to depend on the breeding. You'd want to look for a good conformation breeder, and get a pet quality dog from them if that is what you are looking for. There are far too many "pet bred" Akita out there with horrible structure and horrible temperaments to match.

2. YES and yes. Of course there are exceptions, but in general they are a very smart, independent breed that WILL figure out how to escape if they have the desire to.

3. This is another one that will depend on the individual dog. Of course they can be trained, as any dog. It would depend if the dog had good food motivation, toy motivation, etc. But don't expect them to stay right by your side if given the opportunity to run.

4. Again... that would depend on the individual dog, and TRAINING. I would not expect any dog of any breed to "actively prevent strangers from entering" without training. Now, if by "actively" you mean, just a loud and intimidating bark at an intruder, then yes. But "actively" as in engaging and taking someone down... no. Not without specific training, which itself is dangerous if you don't have experience with it. A large dog with a loud bark is a good enough deterrent ;)

5. IME they seem to be a "one person" type of dog. But that doesn't mean they won't accept and be friendly with other family members and friends.

crazedACD

One of my dogs that has since passed on was an Akita mix, and I've known a few, but not really in depth.

They are chow-like. They are aloof. My mix was wonderful, and laid back, but he was one of those if you weren't supposed to be in the house, he knew it and was going to ensure you stayed out of the house. We did have a few mild bite incidents that were warranted IMO (guy reaching through kids in the backseat to pet his face in the back of the SUV...stuff like that). He was generally OK to friendly with strangers. He was on the DA side, but not at all reactive. Mine NEVER fought in the household, but did with strange loose dogs.

I wouldn't say they have an enthusiasm for training but they take the rules seriously. I'm sure there are exceptions but I don't find them to be very creative as far as escaping...mine and the ones I've known respected fences, leashes, etc.

We have had an Akita coming into my work since he was a puppy and he has always been extremely standoffish. Even as a puppy he wasn't SHY, or aggressive, but did not want touchies.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Thanks for the responses! I've read a few articles about them and looked at different breeders websites. One owner said the breed was prone to separation anxiety but I haven't read mention of this on other pages. Do you know if Akitas are more prone to separation anxiety than most breeds?

Members online