New Puppy :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That is the same breeder I talked to. I enjoyed talking to her and she was very good at talking about her dogs. Is his tail docked? Keeping the ears natural or cropping them?

Ahh, now I have pyr shep fever again.

filarotten

Fila the love
HE is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the hair on his head reminds me of Woodstock, the little bird on Charlie Brown.

Aleron

That is the same breeder I talked to. I enjoyed talking to her and she was very good at talking about her dogs. Is his tail docked? Keeping the ears natural or cropping them?
Yes she's very devoted to the breed and is pretty honest about how they can be. We live in the same general area (about an hour or so away) so I get to see a lot of PyrSheps at shows. Their National is often in my area as well and I have been to a few over the years.

Edit to add: He's all natural and I'll be keeping him that way. I really have most wanted an all natural one, even though i do like the cropped Rough faces. Besides, his ears are way too adorable to cut off LOL

I knew not a terv and probably not an afghan but had no idea what she was but cute! How are they weird? I've heard that before but I never got details.
LOL I think it'd be hard to come up with PyrShep looking at him unless you know the breed - they have such a range of colors, coats, ears and tails.

As to their "weirdness" they can be distrustful of strangers, flightly, alert barking at random every day things that sort of things. They have the unflattering nickname of "Fearshep".. They aren't terribly far removed from being dogs who lived a fairly secluded life with a shepherd, the flock and a Great Pyrenees or two. It was their job to move livestock and alert the shepherd and Pyrs to anything out of the ordinary. As a breed they definitely tend to need a lot of early socialization, tend to be one person dogs are are very "busy". I have met a range of temperaments though from outgoing to aloof to fearful, so like any breed you will have a variation.

This is an outline by a long time breeder about PyrSheps for performance people: La Brise: Agility & Pyr Sheps - Are They For You?

Silvia Trkmans' writing about PyrSheps:

Steps to Finding a Good Agility Dog: Steps to find a good agility dog

FearShep?PyrShep FearShep

BsC vs PyrSheps (scroll down): LoLaBu Land Experience BC vs. PS

Last edited:
So. Very. Jealous. They are one of those breeds that I so admire and would love to own but will likely never have a chance to. There for you will have to post loads of pictures along details about how this little dudes temperament/personality develops so I can live vicariously through you :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I stalk Silvia's site! I'm really really interested in hearing more about your pup. They sound so fun to me. But then again, I like spastic dogs. I'm still thinking a BC is probably a safer bet at this point but I really would love to learn more about pyr sheps and get to meet some.

Aleron

I stalk Silvia's site! I'm really really interested in hearing more about your pup. They sound so fun to me. But then again, I like spastic dogs. I'm still thinking a BC is probably a safer bet at this point but I really would love to learn more about pyr sheps and get to meet some.
LOL I figured you'd probably read all of Silvia's stuff about them. I will have to keep you updated on his progress and my thoughts about him vs. the other dogs I have had. Right now there are things about him which make him easier than many Belgian puppies I have worked with. I'd say that the only thing so far which seems more difficult is he is more easily distracted by things in the environment. He is totally crazy when it's play time - launches on to me, bites me while going for toys, leaps on and off of everything. His environment confidence as far as being willing to go over, under or through weird stuff is really nice. And he already is really athletic and has great balance.

Have any family that you want to visit around NE Ohio? If you come up this way for one of the big shows you'll see plenty of PyrSheps :) They often have their National around here in May and the big Canfield show in August seems to draw good entries.

Honestly, BCs are probably easier and probably a bit more...predictable in their abilities and temperament. I actually have always wanted a BC, it just never worked out for me to have one. I had thought about getting one this time around and even knew what breeder I'd go to. But performance sports are such a sea of BCs that it some how made me want one less. At least for now.

elegy

overdogged
you know, i've noticed and admired them because there are a couple that train at my club (obedience and agility). i should look into them more because i bet one could make a fun flyball dog.

congratulations on the new pup! he's adorable!

Doberluv

Awwww....he has the cutest head hair ever! What a pretty pup he is. Congrats! He sounds like he'll be a lot of fun and very interesting as he develops.

Members online

No members online now.