American bulldogs

I'd appreciate some advice/opinions on American bulldogs.

There's a possibility of acquiring an American bulldog pup.He's currently 13 weeks old,and his owners have realised that they simply don't have the time for him.

I puppysat for him for 2 weeks while they went on holiday,and fell in love with him.

I've had experience with boxers,German shepherds,Tibetan Spaniels and crossbreeds before.

I'll be at home most of the day for him,and intend to take him to puppy classes,and later dog training classes as an adult.

We can exercise him as often as is necessary.

I'd appreciate hearing other's opinions and experiences with this breed. I know I have to be realistic about taking him on.

TIA

Pops2

can be very smart tough & stubborn, but they can also be dumb as a post. if you know any talk to old fashioned dogmen about handling game bulldogs and most of that will apply.

can be very smart tough & stubborn, but they can also be dumb as a post.
LOL yes, this.

I really used to not like ABs at all. The ones I met were dumb as rocks in a very annoying/frustrating way. But within the past year I've met a few working bred ABs who I have adored. So it really can go both ways!

Either way, you're dealing with a bully breed. You're looking at the possibility of dog aggression. You're looking at a strong dog who needs lots of rules to follow so that they don't decide to run amok. Usually in puppies you're looking at heavy chewers and dogs who will constantly be testing the lines of what is acceptable and what is not. If you're looking for a big dopey dog to lay around the house, more likely than not an AB won't fit that need. You're more likely to have a high energy dog who is always looking for trouble.

Granted, personally I like that . . . I have bully breed dogs, but I know it's not for everyone ;)

Amstaffer

Do you know what type of AB it is? Standard/Performance or Bully (Johnson) or a hybrid of the two?

They will have different personalities as all dogs are individuals but Standards have higher drive and I think are easier to train.

IMHO....I think ABs as a whole are great dogs though.

Go place to ask questions about ABs
True Grit Soap Box V2007

Members online

No members online now.