Choosing a Puppy

Ivy

I am planning on getting a puppy from a breeder in a different country.
The breeder said that since I would not be able to go directly to their kennel and choose a pup, she would help me choose one.

Any tips on how to go about choosing the right dog without meeting it first?

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Hrmm...good question...

I guess I would be asking the breeder how he or she tests puppy temperment and what he or she looks for when deciding whether a puppy is more dominant or social or whatever it is YOU are looking for in a puppy.

I'd say that most pet people want a middle of the road kind of puppy- not one that has a super amount of drive and not one that is too independent.

If you want a performance dog, you may want to consider a dog with harder temperment that is willing to take cues from a handler.

You could ask her to video tape the litter at various times and in various circumstances and then post the video feed online so that you can watch and see how they react in different situations.

Other then that, I am not sure how you would go about choosing a puppy from a litter that you've never seen.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well, how it worked for me was that you describe what your looking for personality wise in a dog (calm, active, male, female, curious, etc..) and then of course physical traits (color, size, etc..) and the breeder should be able to help you out :)

sometimes the breeder sends "profiles", pictures of each puppy with a description of the pup. (weight, personality etc..)

pictures, description, videos. its not has fun as getting to meet them, but its great

Lizmo

Water Junkie
First I think you should have some idea of what you want in this puppy, temperment, personality, certain traits, etc and tell the breeder.

Then, baised on what evolves from that, ask to see pictures of the puppies interacting with other dogs, litter mates, and humans. Ask to see videos of the puppies playing or getting attention from humans and if possible, children.

adojrts

As it has already been pointed out, we need to know what your plans are for the puppy. Pet/Show/Breeding/Performace/Working?

If you are looking for a pup that you can do dog sports with i.e agility or flyball, be very careful. Structure, temperament and movement are critical for working or dog sports. The qualities that make a good show dog are the same qualities you need for performance. I have known breeders that have flogged off shy/tender non confident pups or serious conformational problems to people that plan to do dog sports and those pups rarely make top performance dogs and if they do its because you spent a great deal of money and time on it.

Ivy

I want the pup only for being a household pet.
I do not want a giant breed dog living with other dogs and not having a sound temperament.

Members online

No members online now.