Might Neuter Jack

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
I have begun contemplating Neutering Jack. I have decided that I will give him Until Mid October to finally do something in conformation, and if he doesn't, he's going to get the snip. I have also thought about getting him snipped after his next show, which is in a week. I think the sooner I do it the better or, as sizzle says, I may not do it. So I think I'll probably do it after his next show instead.

The only problem is I feel that if I neuter him I am some how giving up on him. But I also know that it isn't fair to him to make him show, especially since he doesn't seem to enjoy it very much and loosing isn't good for either of us. And if I don't show him there is no reason for him to remain intact.

So right now I am kind of bummed and am fearing I am making the wrong decision.

Thanks for letting me share.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
You could always save a few straws prior if there are things you like about him or a pedigree behind him that is useful or hard to find. That way he's still available.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
he is still a puppy right? I would put him away for 6 months. Maybe less. Get him into something else. Just because your not winning everything now doesnt mean you whont be

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
I don't think it would be worth it to save any straws. For one if a person wanted to breed into his pedigree they can use his brother. And for another he probably doesn't have many attributes that alot of people are looking for. Plus storing the straws is expensive.

He doesn't like to show to start. I have countless pics of him looking mad in the ring.

He doesn't have very good movement because he is short backed, either that or he just likes to move poorly because he knows it makes me mad. I say he can't help it.

It may be a judge/area problem as well. He has some nice features but the judges don't see them because of his movement and his lack of show drive. I can totally understand because, like his breeder said, your not going to be able to finish a dog that can't move. He may be pretty standing but movement is what's important.

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
he is still a puppy right? I would put him away for 6 months. Maybe less. Get him into something else. Just because your not winning everything now doesnt mean you whont be
Unfortunately he's not a puppy any more. Plus most dogs have at least a point buy the time they're his age. He's just a little over 2.

milos_mommy

If he doesn't enjoy it, and you don't enjoy showing him (which sounds like it would be hard to enjoy if he's mad and you're both losing...if he loved it and was losing i'd say keep going but if he doesn't, then what's the point). Weigh the pros and cons. Maybe even take a break from the show ring for a few months and then see.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Handling is possible Sam, before you make the final plunge - I'm sure Tina and Jim would show him for you, at least for a month or two... since Jeni is showing Sky and Traveler. Tina and Jim could take him to shows that Tammie's other boys won't be at. Might mix things up a bit, since Jack has only ever competed with the same dogs.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I'd try him with a handler before giving up completley. See if there is any way he can enjoy the show experience. It sounds like that's a viable idea, then if it doesn't work, you know you've tried everything to see if he'd enjoy himself before taking him in for the big snip.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
honestly some dogs just CANNOT work with their owners...they just care too much about them and any tension or worry and they just wilt. Handlers...the good ones...can get them up and happy and they are masters of not having, or hiding any stress from the dog.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
HbH - Ronin's handlers have expressed interest in showing Jack in the past. They've shown and finished Irish Setters, as well as other breeds. Their focus is, of course, Dobes and Sibes but they are good at setters as well.

I don't think Sada can afford a "top" Setter handler, but Ronin's handlers are good people and treat their clients well. Even though they weren't able to do much with Ronin, he did come back more confident and assured than when he left. He showed better, and for more people after he came back. :)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
That's the most important thing...a positive experience for the dog! I've used handlers and I know the expense can get well...ridiculous, lol.

Even a Jr sometimes esp if a dog likes kids can make a big difference. Cool that there are connections ready to help!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
handlers can help as others have mentioned, but some dogs just don't enjoy showing. Rose is one of those dogs. She completely froze up. Of course they never even tried to owner handle her. they sent her as a pup and she just hated it. Her handlers sent her back...

I debated trying my hand at handling her myself thinking she might do better for her owner but just decided against it. I didn't find it remotely worth it. She was getting more confident and I didn't want to send her back to a place that she so obviously did NOT like to be.

We spayed her (she was about Jack's age). I don't think any of us have ever regretted it even though she matured better than I would have expected. To me, my dog's well being always comes first. If they're not happy then no way are they going to go show.

Anything anyone could have wanted from Rose you could get from Beau or Sable so no real loss imo. Rose is so much happier now so I think it's worth it.

Then others like Beau absolutely LOVE the ring. I had no qualms about him going with a handler because he enjoyed it so much. He seemed to think shows revolved around him and he was so good at it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Sada... yanno, there is no need to rush into neutering, if you are unsure. I'm pretty confident that Jack won't be getting out and producing oops litters. : D So take your time, neutering is great, but it's not a MUST for responsible owners.

I hope Jack gets some wins! Using a handler is a good idea.

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
Thanks guys!!!

I have honestly thought about using a handler several times (sizzle and I have discussed it more times than I can recall), but I have a feeling that all his other faults would still hinder him.

I have also tried giving him a break from showing (he has only been to one show from June until March and that was in the middle of November) to see if he would start liking it better. And he still moves the same.

So I am thinking that it may be best to just Neuter him. I all ready have him entered in a show and don't want to break points, so I am going to show him. If for some reason he does take the points then I will probably reconsider, but I don't think that will happen. And I don't want you guys to think that just because I don't think he'll get the points means that he's not going to. I have been hoping, praying and, at times, I even thought he might get the points but it has never happened.

So again, thank you all for you considerations and concerns. I haven't fully decided yet, and, fortunately, I do have time to change my mind, at least until I actually take him to the vet:). If you have any other suggestions I would gladly listen to them and take them into consideration.

Staff online

Members online