Dwarf Hamster

Kathy29

Now that I'm done with the cuteness, I can go on to tell the sad story.

I was CONSIDERING a hamster for the near future and had been doing a lot of research on them although I had a Syrian as a kid. That thing bit me like no tomorrow and traumatized me and my sisters. I was in Surrey earlier this morning and got this brilliant idea to check in on the SPCA. After I passed the dog kennels, I walked into the cat room.

A volunteer was telling a mom and her two kids on the care of these dwarf hamsters and she seemed really eager to want to get them to adopt one. After they were done talking, I was asking general questions about the dwarves to the volunteer and found out that all 13 of the hammies were *supposed* to have been put down this morning. But the shelter couldn't find the papers for them, so the vet refused to do it.

I found out later from the front desk while the staff were talking amongst themselves that the "hamsters have to sit and wait for another day" to be put down. Meaning tomorrow morning. Honestly, I was horrified. I didn't walk in there expecting to come out with ANYTHING, but then I was put in the situation to rescue a life or leave them to die. I don't understand why they have to put them all down - why not just a few to free up some space, if need be?

I looked at them, observed how they lived in their own little world, oblivious that their short lives would end in less than 24 hours, and said to the volunteer, "I'll take one." Just like that. She seemed so happy. The mom and her kids also took one home but the rest are left to die...

I felt horrible to be put in the position to choose which one of them gets to live and which one gets to die, but I had to do it nonetheless. I know dwarf hamsters are sociable and capable of living together, but I don't have the space to house two if they don't get along. I finally picked him because he was nice about being rudely awaken and pet and super tame about being picked up, although he did nibble on my ring and a tad bit of my skin (not a bite).

This little guy has thus been given a second chance at life. He's just a baby.
I named him Wilbur.

[Edit] I wrote that last night. By now, the other ones are most likely gone already. :(

Kathy29

Has anyone ever had one of these critters? How long did it take to fully tame them? This guy seems pretty tame already but I'm still wary of picking him up and holding him - something I never really got over, I guess, from the mean hamster back then.

In fact, I take him out with a toilet paper roll. When he steps in there, I take him out.

sisco16

koda bear
I have had many hamsters and to tell you the truth I have only been
bitten a few times many wehn you reach in to get them and you scare them they see you as a predator and bite out of fear or in there nest box area they
will often take a go at biting cause they either feel protected in there and your invading or cause you just woke them but if its a young one you should have no troubles just go slow and put your hand in there offer him some treats he will get the idea. if you have other pets though make sure you wash your hands before trying to pick him up they can often smell the other animals but good for you for saving him. even when i had two dwarf hamster sisters they only got on for about a year untill the fighting got so bad they needed to be seperated.

Those pictures are super cute! I to have only ever owned one hamster and to be honest mine was a grumpy biter. I never did manage to tame it because I didn't like getting bitten LOL. So it went from cage to ball to cage to ball and no handeling from me what so ever. Anyone who put their hand near him got bitten! Now that said.... I have been told by other people who have owned them that they never got bitten. Ha ha ha I am really not helping here am I. I can only conclude that there are cuddly hamsters and hamsters who like to bite and you will probably have to spend a lot of time with your little one so that he gets used to you and becomes friendly. You are doing a great thing there ^__^ I love watching hamsters!

Kase

Awww he is adorable, its so sad that the others had to be pts.

I've had one dwarf hamster called Littlefoot who is no longer with me, he was very sweet and never bit me but he was VERY fast! I'm glad you adopted him :).

Kathy29

I'm still kicking myself for not bringing another one or two or three home.

This little guy is SO sweet! I was afraid at first because of the nasty rep that dwarf hamsters have but I guess it has to do mostly with socialization when young. But he's been so good so far - taking treats on and from my hands, grooming himself on me, etc. But YES Kase, he is soo fast!

Thanks for the responses :)

~Tucker&Me~

OMG, in Surrey?!

Didn't know they had such a hamster problem! LOL

Seriously though, is it normal for them to have so many hamsters? Or was it just some idiot that brought in like 20? :rolleyes:

~Tucker

Kathy29

Tucker, I think there were 2 different litters of dwarf hamsters. And then a few regular Syrians as well that were just homeless. But there were quite a few dwarf babies and one of the moms were there, too.

ADDITIONALLY, the volunteer said she had another litter of 6 she was fostering for the shelter at home.

Go figure!

Members online

No members online now.