Field Trials or Hunt tests anyone?

T

tessa_s212

With my newest dog, Marq, I am wanting to get involved in hunt tests. I found some people somewhat in my area that do hunt tests and field trials, but they have retrievers. :( So far I still have no clue to go about getting involved in hunt tests.

(Marq's breeder really wants me to get his JH title so that he can officially recieve one of his CH titles in another country.)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
our retriever club had one test that was called the hunter's. It was a fun stake that you could run for experience. My old boss always suggested the book TRaining your Retriever by James Lamb Free..it was a good basic book for beginning training. Would work for dogs that are not retrievers but you want to train the same way.
Mom of 7 i grew up (starting at 12) working for a kennel that trained for field work. We trialed the KC retriever club and the Kansas both spring and fall. I haven't been there in a very long time, but spent about half my life growing up being a bird "boy" and handler.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Very cool I envy you!
We are only doing hunt tests. I am running my boy in Juniors this year. Our older boy is doing Seniors.
Its alot of work!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
cold, hot, heavy,dusty..mud.... exasperating, exhilerating work..yup..i remember it all, the rain, the cold mornings when my boss would have me run the dog up and down the road so it wouldn't refuse the water..(no big deal except we had 7 dogs at a time in the stakes):rolleyes: the dust, burrs, wet jeans all day. butterflies in your stomach for the umpteenth time....cranky judges:rolleyes: changed test scenes after you have everything unpacked...getting a dinner of your dreams if you placed..my oh my.:)

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Yup! I dont do Field Trials. Hunt tests are about what I can do right now.
Field Trials is full time! Hunt tests is full time but not as competitive.
Your judged on your dogs performance and not your dog against all the other dogs running. I think that would drive me nuts! LOL
I am nervous enough about next months tests and my yr old puppy fouling it up! LOL!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Very cool! Nice looking labs BTW. What kind of lines do they carry?

Wiggle Butt

Love my Labs
Thanks! Nova, the light yellow, is from a BYB and has nobody famous in her lines. Luka, the dark yellow, is from a rescue and I don't have her papers with me (though she is AKC registered). Buck, my little black puppy and the start of my breeding program, has a pretty good lineage. NFC NAFC Candlewoods Super Tanker and 2xNAFC FC AFC 2xCNAFC Ebonstar Lean Mac are the most famous dogs in his pedigree. He mostly has Tealbrook dogs in his lineage, his mom is from Tealbrook. Tealbrook Kennels

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Those are good dogs to have in a pedigree!
I do have some invaluable advise for you. Get your puppy into the Opthamologies asap. They can tell at early age whether or not there are eye problems. I would do this before I put any money into your dog.
I just found out that my NFC Drake pup has retinal folds and have to re-home her. Glad I found out before I sent her into pro training.
Its often the luck of the draw! If there is anyting I can do to help at any time feel free to pm me. I am a new hobbyist and still have much to learn, but am willing to share the knowledge and experience I do have.

Since he is still a pupper..Get some wings and tie them to a line or rope and let that puppy chase it as you drag it. Do only small retrieves down a hallway so he has to return it to you. Only 4 good retrieves then put the bumper up. Also paint rolls work well with pups especially when they are teething. They are light and easy to grip. Dont worry too much about obediance at this point. Simple stuff..sit, come. those will be the base of your more advanced obediance later on. All you want to do right now is get his drive up for prey and the retrieve. You can always teach obedience but you cant teach drive. Its essential to get that going early on.
Ok enough tid bits..Congrats on your pupper!
I will pm you a few gun dog forum links. Great resources!

Wiggle Butt

Love my Labs
That is really good advice, thank you! And thanks for the forum links, I'll definetly join them!

My friend promised to let me have some of her frozen quail, but hasn't gotten them to me yet. Where can I get wings? Is there anywhere I can buy them or do I need to get in touch with someone who hunts? I know someone who will give me live ones but I need to have someone else kill it. I have trouble killing things but easily will "dissasemble" it once it's dead. :confused: Not sure why. lol

I was going to get his eyes cleared moreso because I am curious and want to make sure everything's alright. I would never be able to give up my dogs. I'm not looking to have a big breeding operation so I have room for the ones who won't be a part of it. :)

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
You can get dried wings from Sportsmans, Cabelas, most hunting type or sport type stores that carries hunting supplies.
You can order them online.
Here are a few links
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-b...alog=gundog&query=wings&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...s&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=wings&noImage=0

You can also call a few taxidermies. Often they have birds that they work on that dont turn out right. The whole bird is gutted and dried you can stuff the carcas with foam so it floats. Great tool for training. A bit heavy for your little man right now though.
YOu can take the wings and zip tie them on a bumper/ paint roller so your pup gets use to the feel of feathers in his mouth. Often that can be a distraction for young pups. Earlier he is exposed to feathers the better.
Good luck with your pupper!

Wiggle Butt

Love my Labs
Thanks! He's already had a dead quail in his mouth ... freshly killed I think, but I wasn't there. I went out of town and had my friend watch him and she introduced them to him. He apparently loved it!

Members online

No members online now.