Thoughts on this trainer?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Frawley has been around for awhile and depending on which part his website you read, his views change. He has a LOT of very harsh, old-school military style trainings, which are downright abusive. Hanging a dog until he passes out is abuse, plain and simple.

But apparently even Frawley has started to come around to the "kinder, gentler" side of training lately. I don't know how true this is or how much of it is a statement made to shut people up while still continuing his normal methods.

He's also pretty much a police mill and breeds for entirely over the top temperaments. He's said himself he can't handle the dogs without carrying a baton with him at all times.

Angelique

Yeah, I've kept my eye on Ed over the years. I studied with an old school Koehler guy many years ago. The difference between Ed and my former instuctor, is Ed does grow, change, and admit his mistakes.

I have no need for military training for myself or my client's. I'm mostly a Cesar/Pryor/Pavlov mix with a dash of Roger Hild, Dunbar and Donaldson.

To Ed's credit, I applaud him for not making excuses, and going the extra mile instead of putting dogs down when other trainers would give up.

But, he's not my cup of tea and I don't use his methods.

DanL

He's got some new videos out on positive reinforcement training so he does look at and use many different training methods. I think you cannot take a cookie cutter approach with training. You have to look at the dog and the handler and help them decide on the best approach. What works for one dog might not work for another.

I've seen a lot of dogs where certain training methods will not only not work, it'll most likely get you bitten. For example, the "turn your back and ignore the dog to keep him from jumping on you" thing is probably not a good idea on certain temperaments. If you tried that on this Bouvier I know, you'd probably end up in the hospital.

The kind of dogs Frawley deals with have extremely hard temperaments and are very dominant, often have handler aggression issues, and require a very experienced handler to control them. I'm not saying the beat them with a stave method has to be used, ever, but some dogs require a firmer hand than our typical pet dogs.

Members online

No members online now.