Does anyone else have this issue...

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Nope! :D My next dog is going to be a Vizsla and then the one after will be a Lab :)
I want a Vizsla!!!
I want a Boston Terrier.
I MOSTLY want an SBT (like, SUPER bad. WANT.).
I want another pit bull.
I want a scruffy-faced mutt.
I want a JRT.
I want a pug.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Yes, oh my gosh.

For three years all I was looking forward to was getting my GSD.
Got introduced to English Shepherds, got one. Thought, oh but my next dog will be a GSD for sure!
Longer I had Quinn, the more I began to flip between GSD and ES. I'm talking changing my mind multiple times a day or week. I also briefly was interested in Belgian Shepherds (Tervurens and Groenendaels specifically) but after meeting some decided they were not for me.
After dealing with Quinn's new issues though, finally I settled on 90% I was going with another English Shepherd. Her problems can be tiring to me but are actually not that major, so I didn't want to go with a breed that's actually prone to SSA like the GSD.

My phase of being fairly confident I was going for an English Shepherd didn't last long. I met a BC belonging to one of my trainer's students who helps out with our class and just loved him, found a stray BC, had a few really nice BCs come into the store and my mind started wandering again. I've always said that BCs are pretty close to my ideal but I didn't think my lifestyle was set up for them (maybe some years in the future, I hoped), but my life has really become dog oriented lately with Quinn and I think I could manage it. I've also come to realize that the things I love about Quinn are very BC-ish traits, and I my mind gets going and I wonder if it's going to be hard to find a male English Shepherd that's as serious and something intense as Quinn is. I have to admit I love having a rarer breed though and I do really love the breed itself. These past few weeks I've been flip flopping between the two - I'll have a BC come into the store, or be looking at breeders and want one, but then I look at dogs belonging to the breeder I've loved since I first discovered English Shepherds, or have an awesome day with Quinn, and I just want another one.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yes and no.

While I can't imagine not getting a Border Collie for my next dog, I also don't want to pass up the opportunity to get a Traveler baby since he's from such good lines and I wouldn't have to import.

Then throw in there the super huge want for a smaller dog.

So I have the breeds picked out - love them all. No problem there.

My theory is to just wait 5 years, get a degree, get a super duper job, and get all the dogs I'm wanting. :D

milos_mommy

just to outdo Becca:

I want a Rhodesian Ridgeback
I want a Boxer
I want a Rottie
I want a Neopolitan Mastiff
I want a springer spaniel
I want a poodle
I want a pug
I want another JRT
I want a havanese
I want a st. bernard
I want a bernese mountain dog
I want a greyhound
I want a collie
I want a GSD
I want an aussie
I want a golden

I think those are all my *serious* wants....

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Toller.
The end.

Oh, or a tailed Springer if the right one comes up in rescue.
I need to meet a non-issue Toller before they become part of the want list. I know you say the other's from Vito's breeder are sane, but there just seems to be a butt-load of behavior issues in the breed. That's what drove me away from a PWD, though I still want one sometimes.

JacksonsMom

Yup. I do this ALL the time. I find myself interested in other breeds, researching, etc. But then I just feel so comfortable with Jackson and Yorkies and I change my mind. That fact of the matter is, I actually DON'T like most Yorkies.... well at least standard ones, so I find myself looking at rescue out-of-standard big Yorkies that are like Jackson, LOL.

Plus it probably sounds dumb but I like the look of having two breeds together that look similar or the same. I think it's sooo cute! Hehe.

SpringerLover

I need to meet a non-issue Toller before they become part of the want list. I know you say the other's from Vito's breeder are sane, but there just seems to be a butt-load of behavior issues in the breed. That's what drove me away from a PWD, though I still want one sometimes.
When we find a Frodo sitter, we shall all go visit the normal tollers... :)

Giny

I will often do that. Though I can go for long periods of time not thinking of any other dogs.

But today, I was thinking of a breed that I never would have imagined I'd ever own before. I was grooming a black femal lab that I fell in love with. Not that I didn't like labs in the past, they just never were a breed I'd ever thought of owning, except for today. She was a sweety!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Kind of.

I mean, I know my next dog will be a BC.

I just have a hard time deciding where I stand with boxers. On one hand, they're what I've grown up with; I know them best and I love them... but then, there are SO many breeds I want to experience. Boxers don't necessarily fit me the best, they're just the most familiar and it's hard for me to picture not having one. So I know I'm going to come to a point where I have to decide between breed X and a boxer.

In a weird way I almost feel guilty for it, because I loved Molly SO MUCH, and she is the reason my friends, family, neighbors etc have been turned onto the breed... so "getting away from" the breed just feels wrong.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I never question the Dobermans, but you know what we've gone through regarding corgis... and you know that we've settled on a mutt as our next dog. We couldn't find a purebred that was "like a corgi, sort of, but without X, Y and Z."

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We couldn't find a purebred that was "like a corgi, sort of, but without X, Y and Z."
Pretty much. I really want a corgi with legs, and Frodo has longish legs for the breed. I worry how far the long back and short legs thing can be taken. There is a breeder in Texas who has some really nice sport corgis, they may be the route I go. There is a woman here who has two of their dogs, I need to meet them. They have the confo I want at least.

The hair and the barking, well, they certainly aren't going to stop me from getting another one. I can tell you that all puppies are getting used to forced air dryer from here on out though :p

As far as the potential for reactivity, if I am really honest about how much it affects my life, the answer is not that much. I can still take Frodo for walks and to Petco and to classes. If I start Control Unleashed type work with a puppy, even if they are dog selective, they should be able to be fine in public. And I think if you get rid of the **** and vinegar attitude that corgis have, you also lose what makes them so fun to work with.

If I could hand Frodo's leash to Ryan and send them out on the town, he'd be **** near the perfect dog for me. I love my dog :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Ah see that's why you lurve Z - she's a not-corgi corgi. LOL DH calls her a corgi with a lift kit. ;)

Now that I have a malinois, I've checked off my one "must have just to see what it's like" breed, and while I toy with other breeds, I'm pretty sure that we'll continue to be a herding breed family, probably primarily ACD and maligators from here on out! I have been looking at Hanging Tree Dogs recently, tho.... LOL

SaraB

When my first border collie passed away, I swore I would never get another (he had some obsessive tendencies).... Then after having nothing but giant, slow (mentally and physically) beasts in my house, I ended up with a very border collie like border collie x. Some breeds you can try to move away from, but they suck you back in.

Same with danes. I doubt I'll ever be a dane only house again, but I will always have a dane. I've learned to stop looking at breeds first, but rather figure out what I want the dog to be able to do and then choose the individual dog based on that. Despite that, I have my list of NEED to own breeds still. :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I've learned to stop looking at breeds first, but rather figure out what I want the dog to be able to do and then choose the individual dog based on that.
The problem with this is that there are a LOT of breeds that can do agility, tracking, nosework, and obedience/rally. And corgis tend to be able to do all of those things fairly well :p
Plus, I'm pretty sure Frodo's vote for next dog would be a corgi. We spent the weekend with 9 dogs the other weekend, one of them was a corgi. Frodo followed Lance A LOT during the weekend, he even humped him! :lol-sign: He is also the only dog that Frodo didn't get super snarky with on Sunday (we slept over and it was a little much for Frodo).

SaraB

The problem with this is that there are a LOT of breeds that can do agility, tracking, nosework, and obedience/rally.
True, but there are a handful that EXCEL at those things. Great danes CAN do agility (Classic can even do it very well) but lets be honest, it's not a breed I would choose if I wanted to be competitive. For me, I need a dog that will excel at sports, hence why I went back to the BC x.

Not saying everyone chooses their dogs this way, just the way I will from now on! :)

elegy

overdogged
My next pup will definitely be a Border Collie, though the litter that I was supposed to get a pup from is not happening now. (Woe!)

After that, I'm really up in the air about breed. I'd like something smaller, I think, but I don't know what.

Members online

No members online now.