Survivor Man and Dog? Which breed would you want with you?

Amstaffer

Have you ever watched Survivor Man the TV show where the guy strands himself and tries to survive off the land? Well that got me thinking.... If I was stranded in Northern Wisconsin (Cold Winters and Hot Summers) and I could choose one breed of dog to be stranded with me what would it be?

As much as I love my Pitties, they are ruled out because they wouldn't make it through the winter. I also thought I would want a dog who could feed itself and maybe help me out.....

What breed would you guys pick?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My Aussies. They've got the dual-coat to tolerate both heat and cold, plus the guarding instinct to alert/protect me and most dogs can learn to catch their own food given enough chance/incentive. And they won't wander off and leave me by myself.

Or I'd clone Buck from Call of the Wild. St. Bernard/Shepherd/Collie? mix.

oriondw

user not active
Caucasian.

1. Because they are made to survive in any climate from arctic freeze to tropical heat.
2. No grooming required
3. Will hunt for his own food.
4. Will protect from medium predators. ( also food, why not eat a wolf or a coyote?)
5. Independent by nature, but will not wonder off.

Basically a perfect dog for surviving, because they were bred by natural selection.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Wolf mix. Though they're out of place in a lot of situations, they aren't in the wild.

Amstaffer

I was thinking husky, obviously for cold resistance but also because of the medium size would require less food. yet they seem agile enough to catch rabbits and such.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
My ACD because of herding ability. Duel coat. Loyality. And fearlessness. I know Whiskey would die saving me. I know I would take that step for him too.

Amstaffer

They're fine with it. There are some harsh climates, even in South America. They will thrive on what would kill a more domesticated and "bred" dog :)

What is the coat of the fila like? I assumed it was like a Great Dane or English Mastiff....is that trure? How can deal with extreme cold? Do they have a coat more like a Rottie?

It's a very close coat, but not only does the coat thicken up in the cold weather, they seem to add a layer of fat directly underneath the skin when it gets cold. My vet was amazed when Shiva gashed her side open one winter. He'd never seen anything like it. All he had to do was stitch her and staple her back together . . . with a 'normal' dog there would have been a great deal of trimming tissue around the edge and restoring blood flow. Not with these dogs!

Brattina88

they look like they have some extra "insulation" compared to a Dane anyway :p
gotta love it!

Members online

No members online now.