Border Collies

Kathy29

My boyfriend is really attracted to Border Collies and would like to get one in the next few months or so. I just called a breeder to inquire about her available puppies and she asked me if I live in the city. When I said yes, she said that she prefers to sell her pups to country homes only because they're really not suited to city living so I'm "out of luck."

My question is: Do all of you BC owners live on a farm/acreage? I thought that a BC would do fairly well if given a lot of exercise daily (which he is planning to do) and kept busy. Does the size of the yard really matter that much? There are many dog parks in his area and he plans on bringing the dog there everyday as well as running with him.

What do you think?

PS - My friend owns one in the city, has a small fenced yard, and the dog in my opinion is doing really well. With adequate exercise, of course.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
BC are insanly drivy (well most), They dont just require alot of exersize they need stimulation as well.

I would talk to breeders and go to shows and talk to owners. Do nore research

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
It honestly sounds like the breeder that you contact has extremely high drive working BC lines.

I suggest looking more for "show" BC lines (although ALL have high drive, some more then others).

I know a few people in the city that own BCs - they are extremely intelligent and need mental and physicl stimulation each day. They are a tireless breed as well once they mature.

As long as your bf has adequate time for a BC ie. able to take training classes, work the dog on a daily schedule, give the dog "challenges" then he should be well suited for a BC.

RD

Are you dead yet?
It drives me nuts when people say that all Borders need acreage and tons of room to run. What they need more than anything is mental stimulation - a job to do. Even if it's various small tasks throughout the day, accomplishing these "jobs" makes BCs happy.
And, it's funny... I live on 5 acres in a 4500 sq. foot house, and my BC spends 99% of his time within 5 feet fo me. No way does he utilize all the space we have.

He's an absolute CRAZY DOG when I let him outside for exercise and training, you'd seriously think he was vicious or possessed... Everything is done with 100% intensity and he is easily frustrated at anything that gets in his way. Lately, when he has been working and people have interrupted us to pet him, he growls/shows his teeth at them. He is a completely different dog when he's inside - very polite, he sleeps and loves on everyone nearby. I could live in a studio apartment with this dog, no problems.

I'd brush this off and contact another breeder. Good luck in your search.

Border Collies are intense dogs. They are insanely smart; they can and will outsmart humans at times. Border Collies think about things, and learn how to make things work for them. They get bored if they don't have something to do....it doesn't have to be a sport (I hate when people say that BCs "have" to be in a sport - it's not true), but they at least need a training session each day. They learn quickly, and they need new things to exercise their minds.

They love exercise. Many border collies love to play frisbee and similar games, right now I'm teaching my border girl to fetch, since it doesn't come to her naturally. I'm thinking she probably didn't have any toys as a puppy, so she doesn't know that they're fun.

They love their humans and will choose someone to become very attached to. They will be very loyal to that person. If I didn't spend a lot of time with my BC, I know she'd become depressed. She's my baby and she knows it.

Expect herding behavior (obviously, lol :)). Some BCs will herd humans and other dogs.

Longer-coated dogs have a lot of fur. Right now we're in the process of ridding my dog of her winter coat. She has so much fur that when we get her wet, she shrinks. It's nuts.

Members online

No members online now.