Sticky Situation (have to get rid of dog)

TheMrs

Hiya. I have a friend who is internetless and in need of some assistance. I told her I would go Online for her and help out. I come to my doggy lovers. So anyways here is the situation.

My girl has an American Bulldog mix. He is lovable and friendly......if he knows you. Other than that she got him as a gaurd dog. He recently attacked a neighbor by sneaking under a fence. (she's fine BTW). This is a dog that is around three small children (7 and under) everyday. The 7 y/o rides him. He is very lovable to the family but overprotective. This is not the first incident and we are military people that live on base. The base is making them get rid of him. He is fixed, all shots are up to date and he is trained with voice command. We live on Holloman AFB, Alamogordo NM. If you, or if you know anyone in the general area (el paso, albequerqe, silver city, las cruces) who would want this dog please contact me via email. [email protected]
They are for certain getting rid of the dog and do NOT want to have to put him down. When I say this is a good dog.....trust me. All his incidents just came in the way of protecting the family. Other than that he is great with the kids....the youngest is 3...he can put a biscut under his chin and Toby will take it gently. The middle child always has her face in his (she's 5) and like I said he lets the oldest ride him. This was the only attack incident too. Mostly he barks and people freak out because he looks scary. His head is as big as his body LOL. He is such a sweety tho. Everytime I visit he insists on dancing with me. I love this dog and would gladly take him if I could, but I can't so i am coming to you all for help.

I DO NOT CHECK THE FORUM TOO MUCH SO PLEASE DIRECT ALL COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS AT MY EMAIL ADDY [email protected]

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My american bulldog dog mix is the same way. He has never attacked anyone but he is very protective of us. Have they tried putting him through any obedience classes at all? I'm guessing that there is no way for them to talk the base into letting them try classes or anything. Sorry, wish I could help. I know my sister in law lives in Texas right off the airforce base (she is in the airforce). I don't know if she'd be will to get a dog right now though...

TheMrs

LOL Talk to her! We have no more than 5 days to figure this out. I will post a picture of him here soon....(she gotta bring it over) Hes so good.....

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I wish I could help! :( But as you can see, i'm in France and I don't know anyone in that area! I really hope it all works out for him!!

TheMrs

a year ago they had a neighbor that would push his garbage can up against this one area of fence to get Toby to come over and then he would mace him because he was scared of toby. He was later charged with animal cruelty but the scars from that man have stayed with him. The neighbor that got attacked was at that same spot of the fence and he took defensive measures. He does not jump over fences and does not dig--the fencing that is there is leval with the ground and posts are far apart leaving gaps. He needs a fence that would prevent him from barging thru it....one that is slightly underground. Either that or he needs a chain that will hold him. Hes a tuffy, Lovable but overprotective. If the base were to say keep him they would reinforce the fence but he HAS to go.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
He's really cute. I'll keep talking to my sister in law about it. Her daughter has been BEGGING her for a dog for months now and my sister in law is waiting until the girl stops being so persistant. She doesn't want her daughter to think she can get whatever she wants just by bugging them to death. I'll keep talking to her though, maybe she'll make an exception just this once.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Yikes! :(

Why are they setting a date to put this dog down, instead of finding a rescue that can take him, in the event they can't find him a forever home before the 6th????

I still have a LOT of work to do on my rescue site but do have 5 listed in New Mexico at: www.dogrescueusa.com/rescues_newmexico.html and if these rescues can't take him, I'm sure they will know of other rescues in New Mexico that can!

Please encourage them to find a rescue that can help!

Members online

No members online now.