Do any other breeds "talk"?

Maxy24

You know how huskies make lots of noises? I LOVE it. I didn't think I would but after working at the doggy daycare where we have several husky regulars I absolutely adore huskies and they had me laughing so hard I cried on several occasions, and their talking was often involved. On one occasion I accidentally squirted one in the face with the squirt bottle when I was trying to get a humper behind her. The husky immediately looked up at me with a furrowed brow, stuck out her neck and woo wooed at me for being so rude. As I apologized she continued to give me a good talking to. I do NOT like barking, but I love their woo woo and other talking noises.

Are they the only breed that talks like that or are there others?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
In my experience shelties and collies are talkers but they have a different 'language' so to speak compared to huskies. Lots of grunting and wooing. Nikki would mimic words almost. Pupperoni for example, she'd go woo woo woo woo. She would also howl along to certain music- Very Merry Unbirthday from Alice in Wonderland got her every time.

Trey was more of a grunter/honker. His favorite noise to make sounded like 'Owww' to me. Just all the time. 'Owwww owww owww owww'

From youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGzKBSz9OQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFh7jU2aZD0

This is the noise Trey made ALL the time. I called it the 'honk': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFh7jU2aZD0

My papillons do not do this. They just bark and chirp and chatter (sounds like tiny monkeys/birds).

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Webster's a chatty kathy too. We often joke that every thought he has comes out his mouth. It's different than a husky though.

We had a Golden Retriever/Shepherd mix when I was kid who would have "conversations" with you. He'd sit politely and watch your face as you said something to him, then when you paused he would "reply" with this lilting woo-woo-arrooo type sound. When he had said his piece, he's stop and look at you expectantly, clearly waiting for you to hold up your end of the conversation. He was a really cool dog.. "smiled" people-style, knew how to eat those popsicles that come in plastic wrap (bite, puuuull, eat, repeat) and knew a staggering variety of tricks considering what he had to work with ;). He's probably the reason I decided to get a dog of my own as an adult. And on down the rabbit hole from there... :p

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Watson talks... He has opinions on many things.

With basenjis it can go either way, some are really vocal and some are the strong silent typle.

Watson does his happy yodel to greet us... He makes grumbly noises when his breakfast isn't coming fast enough. He woos, baroos, woofs, and rumbles.

Toller_08

Perhaps not always a breed specific thing, but a lot of individual dogs of many breeds talk.

Our first Rottweiler was a constant talker. Tango, my Border Collie mix, also was and Dance is as well. A friend's Border Collie talks as well. Journey does sometimes too, although differently. She grumbles and makes squirrel noises haha. Only when she's really excited though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh and Nikki would chew. you. out if you told her to do something and she didn't want to. Like if she was asleep and you told her to go potty. She'd go.... but be snarking the entire way out the door. I am pretty sure it was full of a bunch of doggy expletives. lol

She was a really cool dog.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I wish Indy was a talker. I have a lot of one sided conversations with her. I usually fill in her answers though. She's a snarky bitch. :p

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
Natasha speaks, and even if she's not a really noisy dog (I allow her to bark once or twice if she hears something strange, no more) she will do some weird noises combined with howling and barking when we get home, and when playing, sometimes too. It's fun.
Also, when she had to do something she doesn't want. Yep, my dog complains xD

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Although Abrams isn't a talker per say...no one told me Chessies were this vocal or had such a wide variety of noises. LOL (Well, no, I lied. His breeder told me when I picked him up. But none of the literature did!)

He arroooos, he grumbles, he barks, he whines....and although he doesn't "talk" to me when I talk to him (like my Malamute did growing up), he certainly has his wide variety of noises. Definitely not the "strong, silent" type like Blackie was. LOL

What cracks me up the most is that when he is SUPER happy and excited he'll "grumble". Which sounds like a growl. He does it when he sees someone he is super excited to greet, when he's bringing a ball or toy back to you, when he comes in from outside first thing in the morning, etc., etc. It is SO FREAKING CUTE, and yet everyone who hears it freezes up and says, "Did he just growl at me?" and they won't pet him or reach down to take his toy. No, he's not growling, he makes that noise when he is super happy!

Pirate loves to talk but I don't think it's a breed trait or anything. I think he just likes to hear his voice. He's always roooooing. To the cats. To the dogs. To people. I think it's his, "Hey! Come play with me!" talk.

MicksMom

As a breed, I understand Schnauzers are talkers. I know the Schnauzer mix we had growing up was quite vocal. He made a noise that actually sounded like "out" if you said he needed to go out when you asked, among other vocalizations.

Individually, Caleb is quite the talker. He moans, groans, "sings", "harrumphs", and grunts like a pig.

Flyinsbt

Staffords make a variety of creative noises.
[YOUTUBE]afDRYnKcJ-k[/YOUTUBE]

They vary per dog. Tess here does more of a higher pitched trill, whereas Pirate sounds very much like a goat. I set up next to some Siberian Huskies at an agility trial once, and we were laughing that we got all the weird noise dogs in a central location.

What I like best about the Stafford noises is the bagpipe effect, where they can make 2 different noises at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.