Agility training

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
WOOO!!! Got our NAJ title :D

I will post a pic in the thread under Agility and Dog Sports.

But here I will give a more detailed account of the standard NQ.

I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to a new place (which was SUPER hectic - Dream Park in southern NJ in case anyone has been there), but our first run of the day, which was standard, was NOT good.

She bounced off the table (which I thought we had gotten under control but apparently not yet LOL), then refused the weaves and went to sniff (BLAH), and THEN totally refused a jump (I think because it was after the frame and another jump and landed her like facing the doors/people/commotion).

The weave refusal thing. It keeps happening. She refuses them first time, every time. Even in class now (that was the only thing she did wrong on the jumpers course today). I THINK it's stress related as she will go sniff. She comes right back when I call, which makes it a bit less annoying, but I'm not sure what to do about it. She used to have the BEST weaves. I can't really start over right now, unless I just don't enter anything else for a while, and I have gone back to rewarding after weaves every time in class. Has anyone else had this issue??? It's super frustrating and I think she senses that I get anxious as we approach them, too, which doesn't help...

Honestly, the table and the jump refusal aren't huge deals. But we kind of need to get the weaves under control LOL.

BostonBanker

The weave refusal thing. It keeps happening. She refuses them first time, every time. Even in class now (that was the only thing she did wrong on the jumpers course today). I THINK it's stress related as she will go sniff. She comes right back when I call, which makes it a bit less annoying, but I'm not sure what to do about it. She used to have the BEST weaves. I can't really start over right now, unless I just don't enter anything else for a while, and I have gone back to rewarding after weaves every time in class. Has anyone else had this issue??? It's super frustrating and I think she senses that I get anxious as we approach them, too, which doesn't help...
If she's refusing in class as well, I'd definitely go back to rewarding consistently. My guess is you are just stressing each other out more each time it happens, and making it into a bigger and bigger issue. I'd also, if you keep trialing while reworking them, be prepared to leave the ring and have a huge party if she does get them. Throwing away a few entry fees is a small price to pay.

I have a friend who is *such* a great trainer, and has been going through this for at least a year with her masters level dog. The difference is, she can't miss in practice. She will proof them to the greatest level possible - dogs crated along the weaves, people standing at the end, people with their hands out over the weaves, everything. But the sniffing and head shaking hits in the trial setting.

CaliTerp07

Lucy picked up her novice weavers title today. We would have had Touch-n-go as well, but she decided that after nailing the most difficult discrimination ever in the opening, she should SKIP THE HOOP at the bottom of the a-frame and refuse to go through it at all. And then run through it backwards and proceed to run the entire course perfectly after that.

:rolleyes: Oh, goober. Got a lot of good laughs from the audience :D I'm really proud of her lately--stuff is finally starting to click, and we're getting much more consistent.

Finkie_Mom

If she's refusing in class as well, I'd definitely go back to rewarding consistently. My guess is you are just stressing each other out more each time it happens, and making it into a bigger and bigger issue. I'd also, if you keep trialing while reworking them, be prepared to leave the ring and have a huge party if she does get them. Throwing away a few entry fees is a small price to pay.

I have a friend who is *such* a great trainer, and has been going through this for at least a year with her masters level dog. The difference is, she can't miss in practice. She will proof them to the greatest level possible - dogs crated along the weaves, people standing at the end, people with their hands out over the weaves, everything. But the sniffing and head shaking hits in the trial setting.
Yeah, I'm thinking I may pull her from weaves in class for the next month and go back to the beginning in 2x2s. I will speak with my instructor more in depth about it tomorrow, but we do have a full month before our next trial - plenty of time to rework it, I think.

That's crazy about your friend - Kimma's issue honestly started at our first trial. She would ALWAYS hit weaves in class, fun runs, etc., no problem. But starting then and ever since this has been an issue.

Well today was actually GREAT! She was SO much more relaxed and happy. We came close to getting both Qs, and both NQs were actually my fault (which is TOTALLY OK by me): one wrong course, and she popped out of the weaves at one point and I didn't see it so I kept moving, resulting in an F. Needless to say, I came out of the ring expecting a Q and seeing the F - it was a BIT of a bummer as that would have been her title, but ah well. Now I know to look at her throughout the weaves.

Now I know for sure what needs to be worked on, as there were consistent issues in each run. Right now my crazy puppy is sleeping on the floor, dead to the world LOL.

Finkie_Mom

Lucy picked up her novice weavers title today. We would have had Touch-n-go as well, but she decided that after nailing the most difficult discrimination ever in the opening, she should SKIP THE HOOP at the bottom of the a-frame and refuse to go through it at all. And then run through it backwards and proceed to run the entire course perfectly after that.

:rolleyes: Oh, goober. Got a lot of good laughs from the audience :D I'm really proud of her lately--stuff is finally starting to click, and we're getting much more consistent.
WOO! Congrats on the title! I love when they do something just so random that you can't help but laugh hahaha. She will get it next time :D

Finkie_Mom

So.... In true Kimma fashion, she was AMAZING at class tonight. Nailed the weaves each time. Super fast and solid. WHAT IS THIS DOG DOING TO ME?!??!? My instructor was like, "Now THIS is the Kimma I remember!" Yes, yes indeed. Crazy dog :p

Also here are some pics (our set starts the third one on this page):
http://www.richknechtphotography.com/DogAgility2013/SOJAC-AKC-Agility-Trial/Sunday-Open-JWW/27863108_dMSqLN#!i=2350834393&k=xvqCrPr

You can just SEE how painfully slow her weaves were. But I love the two pics of her jumping (especially the second one, her last pic). I also enjoy my making my hand in to a gun to direct her in the first pic :lol-sign:

yv0nne

Vizsla mom

SaraB

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Baby dogs are going to get their chance to be in an agility class, along with Henri. I am super SUPER behind with Payton. Auggie was a year old when he started agility classes and was two when he started trialing; Pay is almost two and he's just starting classes. OTOH I have done a lot of foundation work with him at home outside of classes which will hopefully pay off later. Or I will just have another dog I have completely screwed up with.

If I can get Pay ready to go by the fall he'll be on track with Augs. Otherwise *flips table*

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie tugged at the barn on Tuesday night =)

Our first run of the challenge course we were doing was a disaster. We just weren't jiving so we walked off and played a bunch and did tricks and just relaxed and our next try was awesome =)

She's a good girly, I just need to not have tantrums even internally because she so can tell.

BostonBanker

Well, because I didn't have enough to work on already, Gusto decided to make my brain fall out last night.

We were at practice, and I asked a friend to "run" the dogwalk with us the way a judge does in trial. Gusto was perfect - crazy fast, super solid 2 on/2 off. As I turned to my friend beaming, she said "Let me see that again. He's missing his up contact." :eek:

Lunatic. Up contacts aren't even on my radar. I run small-ish dogs. I should not be thinking about this!!

He is usually dead on the center of the up contact, just not when he's coming straight at the dogwalk at full sprint. Someone needs to learn to collect a bit. I really, really don't want to screw with his dogwalk, so I think I'm just going to have to "check" him a bit on the approach if there is a runway to the dogwalk in a trial, and/or accept that, of all the problems I could have, getting called once in a while on it may not be all that bad.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Well, because I didn't have enough to work on already, Gusto decided to make my brain fall out last night.

We were at practice, and I asked a friend to "run" the dogwalk with us the way a judge does in trial. Gusto was perfect - crazy fast, super solid 2 on/2 off. As I turned to my friend beaming, she said "Let me see that again. He's missing his up contact." :eek:

Lunatic. Up contacts aren't even on my radar. I run small-ish dogs. I should not be thinking about this!!

He is usually dead on the center of the up contact, just not when he's coming straight at the dogwalk at full sprint. Someone needs to learn to collect a bit. I really, really don't want to screw with his dogwalk, so I think I'm just going to have to "check" him a bit on the approach if there is a runway to the dogwalk in a trial, and/or accept that, of all the problems I could have, getting called once in a while on it may not be all that bad.
Crazy they call up contacts! They don't here unless its an unsafe approach.

BostonBanker

I think USDAA is the only venue that does. I knew one venue did, but hadn't ever paid attention to the rules since I never thought it would matter to me.

Interesting rule change I just found out about the other day - USDAA will soon be changing the table to 'any position for a count of 5', rather than requiring the down. Apparently the change is definite, the time it will be implemented will be decided at the next board meeting - likely either this fall or sometime in the spring. Thoughts?

SaraB

Interesting rule change I just found out about the other day - USDAA will soon be changing the table to 'any position for a count of 5', rather than requiring the down. Apparently the change is definite, the time it will be implemented will be decided at the next board meeting - likely either this fall or sometime in the spring. Thoughts?
I'm sad about this. I'll still teach an automatic down even though it's not needed for the three venues I trial in (USDAA, AKC and CPE) because it will prevent table fly-offs.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I think USDAA is the only venue that does. I knew one venue did, but hadn't ever paid attention to the rules since I never thought it would matter to me.

They're changing it to that for CKC simply to save time... I don't quite understand.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
They're changing it to that for CKC simply to save time... I don't quite understand.
Me neither and when they changed it for AKC it irritated me. There are still things out there that are SAFETY issues that they aren't addressing (tire injuries??) and they're worried about the time it takes on the table? C'mon.

CaliTerp07

I kind of get it, at the super high levels where split seconds count. With this you can use a computerized timer so that it's exactly 5 seconds from the time the dog lands on the table, as opposed to approximately 5 seconds from when the judge thinks the dog's elbows hit the table.

It does seem to take away an element of difficulty though.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yeah it's supposed to be so they can use a table timer and remove the inconsistency of judge counting at big tournaments/events.

Still, I was disappointed to see that criteria eliminated.

BostonBanker

I agree with the general consensus; I hate to see the table "dumbed down", although I understand the arguments for it a bit. Days can get long, and a bit less time per dog does add up.

Both of my dogs are trained to hit the table in a down, and will keep being trained that way. I like them thinking about dropping their center of gravity as they fly at it. I can picture Gusto in particular thinking of the table as a fun new launch pad if I didn't have him thinking "down"!

Members online

No members online now.