Eye infection versus allergies?

IcyMist

Is there a quick way to tell if a dog has allergies or if eyes are infected? I am planning on taking my pup to the vet and was hoping I could wait until Monday, but not sure. Penny's right eye has always been a little pink, and she typically has gunk in the corner of that eye......but I noticed Wednesday that her left eye was very red and the lower lid was rimmed in gunk. The discharge is white/gray looking. No yellow or green look to it. I washed it off and after 10 hours when I got home, the eye was NOT rimmed with gunk but she did have gunk in both corners of her eyes again. Can I put saline drops in her eyes to keep her comfortable until Monday? I noticed that she wiped one of her eyes against the carpet this morning and I am afraid that it is hurting her. She doesn't paw at her eyes or rub at them (other than the one time this morning).

Please don't get the wrong impression about me, I typically overkill on taking Penny to the vet, but I just am not sure I will be able to get her there until Monday. If someone with experience says that it is a necessity, then somehow I will get her there tonight.

Members online

No members online now.