Gerbils... ?

Brattina88

Anyone know anything about them? What about one gerbil eating another gerbil (both females, sisters actually) and scaring me for life. The owner said it was 'natural', but she also said that it was okay for them to go without water over the weekend because there desert animals anyway. I read on the internet just now that for 'normal' domesticated gernils it isn't 'natural'. Also heard gossip that it was an inbreed unplaned litter...
Won't go into details but I work at a Day Care, in a toddler room kids 18mo - 2 1/2yrs. The owner/teacher has been told that it was the appropriate room for them to be in, but she didn't take them out. What a horrifying thing to happen at the day care; the image is stuck in my head (won't describe that either)- 3 seconds was somehow long enough for the image to burn into my mind. I'm glad none of the kids seen it because I caught it first, but embarrassed a parent came in and saw it. (the parent didn't get queasy like me because she the local vets secretary). :eek: :( :mad: :confused:

How bizarre! If that's normal, then I don't know if I would consider a pair of gerbils appropriate pets in that kind of setting. I don't even want to think about how awful it would have been if any of the children had seen it! The owner needs to consider the lawsuits that probably - make that undoubtedly - would have ensued! Be careful; if something even remotely like this happens again and a child is traumatized, an irate parent with a smart attorney could very well try to make you party to the suit, saying that you were aware of the risks because you saw this type of incident previously.

I can't help but think that, although gerbils may have their origins in the desert, these are domesticated animals and are not accustomed to the privations of their ancestors. I know absolutely nothing about gerbils, but common sense tells you that when a creature has been adapted to domestic living for countless generations, it loses some of its ability to adapt to harsh conditions. Perhaps the gerbils weren't fed enough; or maybe it was brought on by the stress of being in a room with small children and all of their lovely chaos.

After re-reading your post, Brattina, I would seriously consider distancing myself from this person and her business - quickly, and I would document this incident for myself, making sure to include the date and time it happened, the reactions I observed, the actions taken by myself, the owner and anyone else present, and the name and how to contact the other person who saw the incident. I'd also document that the owner was told that the gerbils should be taken out of that room, who advised her of this and that she did not remove them. For what it's worth, that's the practical (not legal) advice of someone who's been a paralegal involved in investigation and preparation for trial defense and litigation for fifteen years. I say that because sometimes I sound paranoid, but it is reality in the world we live in, and I hate to see good people needlessly hurt because they did not realize how to protect themselves. Your best protection is always to document.

I agree. Even though nobody knew this would happen, it should be documented formally.
It certainly could have been much worst.

Chazhound

Kagome100

I love my boy friend
yes this can happen

I did breed mic, rats, gerbils, and hamsters. I bred the mice and rats for my snakes. The others I just bred for fun and to give away or to sale. I do know for fact that some females will eat there own babies or fuzzies (young babies with fur). I all so know that they will eat each other if one is sick.

Brattina88

I've also heard about them eating there babies, but not full grown adults. They were litter mates and niether one semed sick, but I'm no doctor. Its over and done with now so I'm trying to forget it. It was documented and she was forced to take them out of the day care. When she picked up the remaining gerbil and placed it in the carrier I almost lost my lunch. It still had blood on its mouth and paws.
Quick question for Kagome100 or anybody else who's had esperiance with them. My Brother wants 'fancy rats' or pet rats (whatever there called) so I've been reading about them and stuff. I've read they need to be kept in twos because they'll get bored or even sick or something. My brother wants to have one that he could take places; show and tell at the day care and school when that starts back up for him, but if he takes that one out it will leave the other one alone which defeats the purpose :rolleyes: the lady at the pet store (like I was going to buy anything live from her! :mad: ) said I should get three ... :confused:

Surely there's some info on the net somewhere.

Charlie, my most significant other, rescued a lab rat when he was in college. It lived in the frat house and didn't seem to miss having other rats around (although it could be argued that a frat house full of college boys is similar - lol). They called him Super Rat and Charlie carried him around campus with him. He loves to tell the story of the day they had Super Rat at the park and an elderly couple was laughing, watching their chihuahua try to chase Super Rat. Charlie asked them to make their dog stop and they told him they didn't care if the dog chased his rat. The situation became somewhat problematical when Super Rat - reportedly about the size of a Pullman loaf of bread (whatever that is?) - got tired of the dog's yapping, bit it and chased it under a car. The couple told Charlie to get his rat away from their dog, but, in typical Charlie fashion, he replied that he didn't care if his rat chased their dog. Eventually he retrieved Super Rat and released the dog from it's prison, huddled up on the inside of the wheel of a parked car.
Then there was the time when Charlie needed some cash, so he came home to the farm that weekend, caught a possum, and shaved it with the dairy clippers. He took it back to school in a cage and sold it to a biology major as a giant rat!

Maybe you don't need to share these stories with your brother, Brattina!

Members online