How Much?

Ivy

How much food do you feed your dogs? Timber is always ravenous when it comes to feeding time. Okay i'm exaggerating a little bit, but it does seem like he is always really hungry during feeding time.

CaliTerp07

Lucy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. She, too, acts starving, but that amount of food is what keeps her weight at a good level, so it's all she gets. She'd eat 4 cups a day if we offered it (no joke). A few times she's gotten into the food bag and eaten POUNDS of it.

Ivy

Lucy gets 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening. She, too, acts starving, but that amount of food is what keeps her weight at a good level, so it's all she gets. She'd eat 4 cups a day if we offered it (no joke). A few times she's gotten into the food bag and eaten POUNDS of it.
She ate that much??? :lol-sign:
How much does Lucy weigh?
I need to keep in mind that Timber is still a growing pup, is it normal for them to act like they're starving though?

CaliTerp07

She ate that much??? :lol-sign:
How much does Lucy weigh?
I need to keep in mind that Timber is still a growing pup, is it normal for them to act like they're starving though?
Sorry, she's about 25 lbs.

I have never had a puppy (so someone else will have to chime in on that), but all dogs are different. Lucy is a food addict through and through, while my in laws have to practically bribe their dog to eat. I don't know if there's a "normal".

Ivy

Tynan was like that when he was younger, and when he was Timber's age he would eat with gusto but not to the extent that Timber's in now. Just wondering. Now Tynan eats at a good pace, not too fast and not too slow.

Dekka

Just try me..
On the 'starving thing'. Dekka will eat till she throws up, and then eat some more. Some dogs are always hungry. My parents had a chessie that was always ravenous. One day they decided to see how much it took to fill him, they gave up before they found out as they were worried he'd blow.

So if your dog is in good condition with good energy levels then you are feeding the right amount. (Dekka when she was fed kibble ate about 3 tablespoons a day)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
All of mine will totally act like they're starved. My chubby one ~ Morgan ~ is the worst of them for that...She'll nip fingers when you give a treat because she's so starved she can't hold back when taking it.:rolleyes:

If his weight and coat look good and has energy, don't worry about how he acts at feeding time.

Ares, 23 pounds, gets 1-2 cups a day, depending on how active he is and how cold it is.
Morgan, 21 pounds, gets 3/4 - 1 cup a day. Less than that and she will start throwing up bile, more than that and she'll get really fat. I need to try to supplement her with some veggies maybe.
Tyr, 50 pounds, gets 2-3 cups a day depending on how active he is.
Nyx, 65 pounds, gets 2 cups a day.

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
Abby the Labby gets 3 cups per day. We also feed her only 1 of her three meals from the bowl. The rest are via dispensing toys. She acts like we're starving her but her weight and condition are good so she's just gonna have to suffer ;)

Jack, 25 lbs, gets 1 cup of kibble, split into two meals. He also gets a bit of canned or premade raw mixed in, with a raw egg a couple times a week.

Missy, 75 lbs, gets 3 cups of kibble, also split into two meals. She gets her breakfast plain, but her dinner usually has something extra - premade raw, a raw egg, canned, etc.

Toller_08

Dance (30lbs) eats a half cup of Acana Wild Prairie or Grasslands (we rotate every couple of months) in the morning, and a half cup in the evening. Which totals to one cup per day.

Keira (60lbs) eats 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening of Acana Pacifica. Which totals to two cups per day.

Ripley (80lbs) eats 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night of Acana Sport & Agility. Which totals to four cups per day.

These amounts keep them all trim and fit and healthy, but they all act like they're starving. They're all major food hounds (especially Dance), and would love to sit down and eat a whole bag of food in one sitting if we let them. Doesn't matter how much we feed them, they'll always want more.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Raja and Tempie are both right about 50 lbs. When I feed kibble, they both get two cups in the morning and two cups in the evening. They're both very active. :lol-sign:

That keeps Tempie very slender. Since she's a working dog, I try to keep her nice and trim. If you feel her ribs, it's about like feeling the back of your hand. Raja, I keep just a tad bit heavier. She's certainly far from overweight, but she has a small amount of cushion on her ribs.

Boone has only ever eaten raw. He is 15 lbs and eating 1 1/2 lbs per day. For reference, the girls each get 2 lbs a day. But he's a growing boy. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lucy is an overweight 12lbs and gets about 1/2 cup a day. She's not really into food though. It's not unusual for her to skip a meal or two during the day.

Juno weighs 48lbs and gets 3 cups a day. She acts like she is STARVING. If I set a 30 pound bag of food in front of her, she would try her hardest to eat the entire 30 pounds. But she's at a nice weight and she doesn't spend her day begging for food, she just becomes an issue when meal time is approaching. :rolleyes:

I give Sam 1 cup of food at dinnertime, I'd like to split it so that's it's 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the evening, but he only eats at dinnertime. He weighs 15Ibs and is slightly underweight, for his size he should be getting 3/4 cups a day. He'll happily skip a meal if he's gotten anything other than kibble throughout the day.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I must be the only free feeder here... I'm not sure how much either of them eat... They're both grazers. Neither is over or under weight and neither ever over indulges. They've been free fed as long as I've had them because that's what my parents do, and its difficult to keep them out of food that's sitting on the floor... even now that we don't live with them, its what they're used to, so its what I do.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Chloe is 50 pounds (the booger is finally filling out or something, because ever since she was around nine months she's weighed 45 pounds exactly, but she recentally gained five pounds - I can still feel her ribs easily under her fluff, so I'm not concerned at all) and I feed her 2 cups of TOTW a day, or whenever she empties her bowl. I basically free feed her, but I just like to moniter how much I give her incase she ever becomes ill. She'll eat the entire two cups a day, or just nit pick at it for a two days or so.

Rose is 60ish pounds and gets about 3 cups of food (Exceed Lamb and Rice) in the evening. She'll pick at it throughout the day and is ready for her next bowl full when the next evening rolls around. She used to eat about 4 or 5 cups a day as that is what Blackie had to eat to stay trim and it was hard getting the dogs to eat out of their respective dishes, so we fed them the same amount. She was tubby then, but she's finally slimmed down and is at a good weight now.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Sierra gets 3/4 of a pound of food a day. If I follow the general "2-3% of their body weight" rule for raw, she gets fat (1 and 1/4lbs is 2.5%). She gets about 1.5% of her body weight (about 48lbs). I also have to be very careful with bones and treats that she gets in a day. Those come out of her daily portion of food, not in addition to.

When I feed kibble, she gets 1.5 cups a day, with a little of whatever extras I add to her bowl. She gains weight by LOOKING at food.

Last edited:

MH<3dogs

Hannah weighs 70 pounds. When she was kibble fed she ate 4 cups a day. On raw she get a little over a pound a food a day. In the summer when we are really active she gets 2 pounds a food a day.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo is 30 pounds (well...29, but 30 is easier, lol) and gets 1 cup per day. I don't think he is overweight, but he weighs more than I want him to, especially with his back so I have been thinking about cutting him back to less.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Kim (48lbs) eats 1 - 1.25lbs/day (or 1.5-2 cups kibble)
Webster (23lbs) eats .5lbs/day (or 3/4 cup kibble)
Mira (58lbs) eats 3-4lbs/day (or 5 cups kibble)

(approximate)

Members online

No members online now.