Frontline?

tinksmama

Just curious, my pups 10 weeks,and old enough to be getting ticks on her...:eek: so I want to put frontline on her, but she's only 3 pounds,and the label says up to 22? that seems like an awful big does for such a small pup- yet,She needs it- we have other animals, and the bugs are WICKED this year! I'm thinking I should do it in 3rds, that should take care of the problem, b/c of her weight?

Elly

Is Frontline from the pet store? I dont know anything about it sorry.

Zoe just went to the vet and they put Revolution on her to keep ticks ,fleas and mites off her and helps prevent heartworm.

Brattina88

You have to get it from your Vet or PetMeds or something. Although I'm pretty sure petmeds require authorization from you vet, and some vets won't do it :p

I'd suggest calling you vet and asking, usually as long as she's had a recent visit and is utd with everything they'll just tell you what you should use, and you can drive by and pick it up. My vet always suggested advantage when I had little ones (baby shih tzus, chihuahuas, ect) instead of frontline, which my whole pack is on. I think that might have been his personal preference instead of scientific proof, but that's good enough for me ;)

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I dont think I would cut the dose given to you by the vet without their permission.

My vet also recommended advantage for my dog since she is only 6 pounds, so you may want to look into that.

Good Luck

Elissa

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot, Jada and Crosbie all got their Revolution today.

Each dog is on a different size package..

check with your vet before giving it.

On the revolution package it does say that it was tested with an overdose and no adverse effects were found.. but I have no clue about frontline.

They've all said there were too many side effects from the pesticides taken internally. If you think about it, it just makes good sense. Those are pretty heavy-duty toxins to kill and repel all of those critters for that long a time!

The Advantix can be particularly deadly to any cats in the household, and they've seen too many skin problems linked to it in dogs.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Revolution isn't an "internal" pill though??

Riot has the one that comes in a little tube and you put the liquid on his back above his shoulder blades..???

It said on the package that it has no effect noticed in dogs if it was overdosed.
Our vet recommendd it??

Hmm..

bubbatd

I've been on K9 Advantix for years without any problems. I have my choice from them , but stick to that brand. Financially they are about the same... but with a 6 months supply this spring I got a free month and a rebate. Be careful if you buy on line...I've read that some are out dated. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.One vet visit for hot spots plus meds can equal 6 months of preventative applications.

I just had this whole discussion with my vet about the types of preventive.
She says not to use advantix, it has pesticides that can damage mammal cells, Frontline can only attack insect cells. Small dogs, cats and kids can all get reactions from the pesticide (something like pyretheom?)
But with frontline very safe
Our little guy is 3.5 pounds and she said the frontline will be great for him.

Frontline

We just gave our 5 mo old puppy Frontline and we bought it from a local feed store that has the correct permits to sell it. We got one that was up to 10 lbs (our pup is 8lbs).

Kmh1

Hi

I'm also curious about this topic. The breeder of my Manchester Terrier mentioned in the packet of info he gave me that he does not believe in using these types of pest preventatives and that Frontline has been known to be linked with siezures in Manchester Terriers--I had never heard of this before--I thought these products were very safe--Does anyone else have any info about side effects from products like Frontline--anything breed specific? Thanks

Kerry

Brattina88

I don't know of any side effects from Frontline. I really don't see how it can effect one breed that severe and not other dogs, but hey, what do I know ? :rolleyes:

tinksmama

Hmm, up to 10 pounds? the feed store i bought it from ,the package said all small dogs up to 22 pounds,that's why i was questioning the dose- but if it works well on your little ones, it shold be fine, My poor kitty, it stings her when I put it on, and she got a pink bald patch where i applied it, I think she may be allergic to it.

Kmh1

Hi

I just got back from vets since my new pup needed a final vaccination. I asked him about any adverse effects from frontline and he said it is an extremely safe product with very, very rare reactions. My Frontline package also says "up to 22 pounds"...

Members online

No members online now.