Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Bat Ears Only

We've got that part down, and of course every time we leave the house we find someone who wants to adopt Ullie. This dog oozes charisma, I wish every dog in rescue was this irresistible.

Ullie gets walked by himself, of course. He is nervous about passing people on the sidewalk/trail. He also has naturally nice leash manners and when I stop moving he defaults to staring at me unless there is something worrying him. If he's relaxed enough he'll take a hotdog. Seeing another person usually involves him staring at them for a while and then turning to me. I offer a treat, if he eats it we keep going, if he doesn't he goes back to staring and I go back to waiting. Staring at stuff seems to be his way of processing the new and scary, getting him onto the beach took several trips just to stand there at the edge of the sand and watch the ocean. I'm fortunate that he's pretty easy to gauge, if he isn't eating or moving he's over threshold.

Other dogs are another matter entirely. He has been extremely polite about meeting off leash dogs while on leash. We made a couple of visits to the off leash dog beach with him on a long line, and he mostly trots around greeting and marking and charming people while we walk. A couple of times he spotted a very bouncy dog and dashed over to bite them hard enough to make them yelp. I apologized profusely for both incidents, both owners seemed confused why I was apologizing for my dog's bad behavior, we left anyway. This appears to be the same behavior I see when Brisbane is barking and I grab him and then Ullie rushes over and bites him. Ullie also gets unusually barky and bouncy about other leashed dogs sometimes, this is the only time I see that side of him, normally I can't get him to move above a trot.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

I'd be really interested to see some videos of him at home and out and about.

I think Beanie asked, and maybe I missed the response... will he play tug?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Bat Ears Only

No tugging, he'll take whatever I hand him but surrenders it immediately. I'm not crazy about the idea of getting a dog with questionable bite inhibition and no out/leave it excited about grabbing something in my hand, so I haven't been trying to teach him.

Ulysses: ACD/Aussie foster Ru: just like a dog only smaller Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Bat Ears Only

As of today we have had no dog fights for one week. Ulysses continues to receive a very high rate of pets, praise, and snuggles for such accomplishments as existing at the same time as Brisbane, watching the cats roll around on the floor and knock things off the counter, and not eating the chihuahua. (Life with Brisbane has conditioned me to praise the dogs any time they forgoe an opportunity for chaos.)

Last night I got out the puzzle toys. A new one for Brisbane, wood with sliding pieces covering several caches. Briz sniffs, pokes, lifts, nudges, kicks the whole thing across the room, and eventually finds all the kibble. Ulysses gets the Star Spinner, a puzzle game criticized for being only slightly more difficult to solve than a food bowl. He watches me put the kibble inside a spin it closed, sniffs it, and then startles when it moves. Tries to eat the kibble and then accidentally closes it. I was wondering who exactly this super=easy puzzle was for...now I know...

Ullie was excited to see the bait bag today, so he got to do some sits and nose touches for hot dog bits. We might finally have a voice command for nose touches, or at least he isn't refusing to participate when I say "touch", which is definitely progress. I still have no idea if he has figured out that the clicker means good yet. He has perked up a lot in the last day or two, and he's rapidly getting more coordinated. He no longer spins out on the hard floors.

Ulysses: ACD/Aussie foster Ru: just like a dog only smaller Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Bat Ears Only

Woot! Today we have a target stick touch, offered behaviors, and lots of ridiculous nub-wagging. He only knows sit and touch, and today he was poking my hand furiously with his nose as I tried to lure him down. We've been working on down for a while, but it's tough to get the timing down since luring usually results in him scooting around on his bum frantically offering sit, and then collapsing on my arm and rolling onto his back. When he's less enthusiastic he seems to sort of know what I'm asking.

Ulysses has also mastered the art of emptying the ball-with-a-large-hole toy, which is a major accomplishment. He is slowly becoming acquainted with the idea that he can make things happen via poking and pawing. He is still unnerved by random unfamiliar things, though. Today I did laundry, and a cat was sitting in the empty laundry hamper, and this broke poor Ullie's brain. He kept staring in horror and then desperately begging me to fix this world gone mad. It's hard to imagine what sort of deprived life he led where a cat in a container is an utterly foreign sight.

Brisbane's Bark Blog