Fake service dogs

Saeleofu

The point is, its not actually hurting anyone if the "faker dog" is perfectly well behaved and looks and acts in every way like the real thing, yet isnt. What the **** do you care? Get off your high horse! Your precious sensibilities are not the issue here
CharlieDog happens to be a service dog handler. She has every right to not want people to drag their pets with them to stores. I'm also a service dog handler, as is Romy, and several other people in this discussion. You need to get off your high horse and realize it's against the law, and you're not entitled to drag your pet with you. It's a pet, you don't NEED it to function in public. We NEED our service dogs to function in public. It's no different than a cane or a wheelchair.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Actually I don't care as long as the dog is well behaved, which I already stated, but thanks for your asinine assumptions.

And since it's only a misdemeanor who cares then? Since it's not a felony and all to fake an SD. That's brilliant.

And really the issue here is that people are being downright douchebags over breaking the law because they don't care about the law? They don't agree with the law because it doesn't affect them?

It's ridiculous and belittling to assume that everyone who "fakes" an SD has a "well behaved" dog. That's not even the issue.
When did I say "only" a misdemeanor? I said everything I'm reading says it could be a misdemeanor. And yes, a misdemeanor IS less of a deal than a felony. A misdemeanor is less serious, and a felony is more serious. Both obviously are the results of breaking a law. I just want to get the facts straight when people are throwing around the word felony.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
CharlieDog happens to be a service dog handler. She has every right to not want people to drag their pets with them to stores. I'm also a service dog handler, as is Romy, and several other people in this discussion. You need to get off your high horse and realize it's against the law, and you're not entitled to drag your pet with you. It's a pet, you don't NEED it to function in public. We NEED our service dogs to function in public. It's no different than a cane or a wheelchair.
Well she said it much better than I did :p

I don't care if they passed a law or changed the laws saying that pet dogs can come into public places where they normally wouldn't be allowed. Obviously, if that were to happen it's a long time off because idiot dogs and their idiot owners ruin it for everyone else.

I don't care if you bring your dog to an outdoor fair where pets aren't normally allowed as long as you stay the hell out of my way and don't let your dog interfere with my SD who is working. I don't even care if your dog is at an outdoor patio restaurant, again as long as the dog is well behaved and cared for. And not interfering with mine.

What I DO care about is people who bring unruly illbehaved dogs into anywhere, and then I get stopped, and questioned, and given the third degree over whether or not MY dog is an actual SD because I don't flash badges, ID cards and the like around to boss my way in somewhere with my pet.

And I have several pets. I don't feel the need to bring any of them anywhere they're not allowed.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
When did I say "only" a misdemeanor? And yes, a misdemeanor IS less of a deal than a felony. I'm just trying to get my facts straight.
So what if it's less of a big deal than a felony. It's still breaking the law.

The only reason I can see faking a disability for fund raisers and checks is a felony is because it costs the Gov money. But how many people actually get caught doing that either?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
So what if it's less of a big deal than a felony. It's still breaking the law.

The only reason I can see faking a disability for fund raisers and checks is a felony is because it costs the Gov money. But how many people actually get caught doing that either?
Of course it's still breaking the law.

But telling people they're going to get a felony for pretending to have a service dog isn't being entirely honest. I just think it's important to get the facts straight before saying you'll get a felony for bringing your pet to the grocery store.

I just see purposely lying about something to fufill a want as totally on a different level than other things we are discussing here. And I am sure at some point the amount of dogs in a place would become an issue. If you start having multiple dogs in small restaurants, stores, etc I can see where limits would start being set (which would make the handicap parking comparison valid).

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Of course it's still breaking the law.

But telling people they're going to get a felony for pretending to have a service dog isn't being entirely honest. I just think it's important to get the facts straight before saying you'll get a felony for bringing your pet to the grocery store.
I was not aware that there was a difference in the way someone can fake a disability and get charged with something different depending on HOW you fake a disability. I think faking something like that just to bring your pet with you is so incredibly crass and rude it's mind boggling.

Red Chrome

Honestly, if the dog is prescribed by a doctor, then nothing else matters to me.

That said, I also think that people get their panties in a wad over this when there is no need too.

Really, it nobody's business about who uses a SD and who doesn't. If someone is truly faking it, they will get caught in the end. Until then, leave other handlers alone.

Saeleofu

Honestly, if the dog is prescribed by a doctor, then nothing else matters to me.
Training and behavior matters. Just because someone has a "prescribed" dog doesn't mean it's okay for it to snark in my dog's face or bark like a maniac.

Gavroche is prescribed. I don't take him in public, because he's an asshole to other dogs and is shy around people.

Red Chrome

Training and behavior matters. Just because someone has a "prescribed" dog doesn't mean it's okay for it to snark in my dog's face or bark like a maniac.

Gavroche is prescribed. I don't take him in public, because he's an asshole to other dogs and is shy around people.
It's not MY job to enforce laws. If someone brings their prescribed SD in to a store. Well that's their right. If it misbehaves then they are opening themselves up for trouble.

I'm not going to police others on this issue.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
If I see a dog in a store where dogs aren't allowed, I'm going to assume that dog is a service dog.

If someone has a well behaved dog, I probably won't even notice them. By law, business owners/employees aren't supposed to ask more than a couple of questions:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
A badly trained service dog (or a faker with a badly trained pet) is probably going to be noticed more often (and more easily) than a well behaved pet.

I disagree with bringing pets into stores where they aren't allowed. It's something that I would never do.

However, I still stand by saying that I'd rather see a well behaved dog at a store rather than a badly behaved service dog. I'm not going to notice the well behaved dog (except to maybe think to myself that it's awesome and doing a great job), and most people are probably the same way.

I've seen some pretty bad service dogs (or fakers- who knows, I would never ask), and I think those are the ones who are doing the most disservice.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Haven't you said that your SD doesn't go to work or school with you? I mean, if that's true, I assume you're functioning at work or else you wouldn't have a job. Therefore, the statement "I NEED my dog to function" isn't completely correct, nor is it the same as somebody who can't walk using a wheelchair, in your case.

Flyinsbt

:rolleyes: What does being an arthritic retired gym teacher have to do with anything? She couldn't crate the dog for a few hours? Please.
It has to do with me not wanting to tell a semi-crippled old lady who is used to handling unruly kids that she is "selfish and childish". If you want to do that, go ahead, but I feel neither safe nor morally justified in doing so.

Have fun on your moral high ground.

Members online

No members online now.