Sugar gliders

Kase

Just a very vague thread, can anyone tell me anything about sugar gliders? What are their husbandry requirements? I've read they make this barking noise, do they do it often? (not that I hhave a problem with it but I still live with my parents :rolleyes:)

joce

I've heard its hard to keep there diet right and that they are kinda on the fragile side. I have looked into getting them at times but its never really worked out. they are so cute though!

Kase

Ok thanks Joce. I've got tons of time to research them if I do go ahead with it as I can't get any till I move out. I would prefer ferrets though, I love them!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ferrets are alot more in terms of normal interactivness, sugies are noctournal and wont be waking till around midnight and theyll be going back to sleep come dawn lol.
they also regures a pretty interesting diet, fresh fruits, nectars, a pellet mix, and bugs. crickets and meelworms are favorites, pinky mice are also a treat they seem to realy enjoy (but messy!)
they need a HUGE cage comparatinve to their body size, i had a 6 ft long by 6ft wide by 6ft tall home made indoor aboreum for my single sugie and it still wasnt enough room to let him realy go for it, they prefer gliding room. the males have a slight sugary fruity smell and they make some real funny sounds that can be rather loud (especially at 2-4 am lol) that include chirps, buzzing and barking. the buzzing sound they make seriously sounds like a swarm of bees.
http://www.skinhorse.net/gliders/sounds.html
has some of the normal sounds youll encounter every day with a sugie, but the wav files dont even closely reprisent the volume a sugie actually puts of...
sugies do best when kept in pairs (and are much more fun to watch)
they bond with their people but its more in a "your an awsome climbing frame and sleeping spot" kind of way.

there absolutly adorable, but much goes into them in terms of time and prep and work, and in truth the most most sugie owners see in return is their cute little sugar glider sleeping in its pouch.

ferrets are definatly much more interactive, yes they can be a little more pungent, and still sleep alot, but least ferrets will wake up whenever you want to play! lol.

Ive had both, i enjoyed the cuddle time i had with my sugie, but i LOVED the sheer energy and joy of a ferret.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I had two male gliders and they were a handful.

Gliders do better in pairs, if you can not keep them in pairs prepare to spend a lot of time with the one to keep it happy.

They need lots of climbing and interactive toys in their cage, and a nice, very dark pouch to sleep in during the day (they are nocturnal and lights hurt their eyes and especially cameras).

They do require a special diet which is sometimes a pain in the butt. They need pellets but they also require daily fruits, veggies, protein and calcium. My two loved crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms, and turkey baby food for their protein and there is a calcium powder you can mix with the baby food or coat on the bugs.

Yes they do make little barking noises but they also make a noise when they are really aggrevated that is similar to I want to say an electric pencil sharpener.

They can also be neutered, which unfortunetely mine were not. They do smell, atleast we thought so, and boys will get a bald "marking spot" on top of their head which is how they mark their territory. Although I heard if you neuter them this spot will either not appear (if done early) or will disapear but I do not know because mine were never neutered.

cages also be careful with those as well. We bought a cage from petsmart before getting the gliders that was supposedly "perfect for sugar gliders" and first off it was too narrow and second when we put them in the cage they just went right through to bars and escaped into our room :yikes:!

My two though came to me when they were already a couple years old and never handled. I tried my best but the most I could get was to carry them around in the bonding pouch and every so often when they were out in our bathroom the one would come up and climb up on me but that was about it. They were really cool to watch though.

Kase

Thanks for the info Foxywench and Juliefurry :). I'm never going to be allowed the gliders whilst living at home but can't wait until I am able to get some. As for the ferrets, well its still a no no from my parents. I just love everything about ferrtes, they are such gorgeous creatures.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ferrets are alot of fun, i swear ferrets just live to make people smile, mine were hyper funloving and would run up to me, head butt me then bouce away dooking as if laughing at me lol. i would have ferrets ANY day, the only thing with ferrets is clean out their corner/litterbox AT LEAST once a day and avoid fishmeal in their diet otherwise they can be REAL stinky. their natural musk is doable but the poop is stinky. the nice thing with ferrets tough is they pick a corner usually, so put a litterbox in that corner and clean up is easy.

sugar gliders are a litte more messy, and being they have to have a vareid fresh diet to be healthy and happy, full cage clean up is daily because they can be messy eaters and fresh food spoils VERY quickly.

Kase

^ Yeah thats one of the reasons why my parents say no, my Mum is sure they will stink the house out even though I try to explain. Maybe one day I will be allowed.

Members online

No members online now.