Neighbor's dog got parvo

Hi guys....

I live in a condo complex where every resident has a dog (very cool) and walks them around the premises. One of our neighbor has a 2 year chi and caught parvo. She only walks her dog around the area like us so she's thinking her dog caught parvo from another dog who lives on the premises.

I have a 6 month schnauzer that is fully vacinated....completely done with his vaccinations including rabies. I'm kind of worried about my dog contracting this even though he is completely vaccinated. Can he still catch parvo if he is fully vaccinated? Should I avoid walking him in the area for now?

Thanks!

Shi

Last edited:

showpug

Parvo lives in the soil of where the affected dog went to the bathroom for about a year. I would stay clear of that area like the plague if it were me. Even though your dog is fully vaccinated, it is still possible for your dog to catch parvo. There are different strains of the disease and a lot of times the current strain is not what is in the current vaccines...

B

Bobsk8

I didn't realize a dog could get parvo after they had their shots. There are alot of dogs around the Condo community and the county park next door to where I live.. Kinda scarey....

Parvo lives in the soil of where the affected dog went to the bathroom for about a year. I would stay clear of that area like the plague if it were me. Even though your dog is fully vaccinated, it is still possible for your dog to catch parvo. There are different strains of the disease and a lot of times the current strain is not what is in the current vaccines...
Agree completely...

Even though I have been vaccinated against measles, I would not spend time where measles abounded or have contact with someone that had measles, and measles is frankly nothing compared to parvo.

Thanks!

Yea, it is scary! One of the neighbors said he saw the chi the other day and she was throwing up and had antibiotic patches all over her. Broke our hearts when we heard it! So I am kind of iffy about having my little going potty in the area. I'm going to have to think of another route to walk him.

Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.