Fans of crates

FG167

I have the Precision brand two-door crates. I only buy Precision now - my dogs crack the Midwest crate trays very easily and often. The Precision really hold up.

BeachBum

aka PretzelDog
I have the Precision brand two-door crates. I only buy Precision now - my dogs crack the Midwest crate trays very easily and often. The Precision really hold up.
This is the one I have and really like. It's pretty sturdy and is easy to put up and fold down. Can't compare it to others though as it's the only brand I've ever owned.

I don't like the idea of plastic crates as I always think there's not enough air circulation, although I know they are required if you're going to fly your dog.

I don't use, and won't use, wire crates. Had a dog badly injured in a Precision wire crate while traveling in the van with me.

We use Vari Kennels mostly, although we do have a Furrari here. Furrari's are not standard size, so we can't fly with them. :(

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I believe all the wire crates are off the Midwest brand. Used to have a couple of soft crates, but Lincoln decided to eat them.

I am stupidly excited about getting some very large collapsable Nylabone crates next weekend, they are going to be awesome for trials, collapsible, and lightweightish and can hold more than one dog!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've got Precision crates and Midwest crates and they've been pretty much the same from my experience. Payton is in Auggie's old Midwest Crate double-door. I felt really bad switching their crates but Payton just got too big... and Auggie didn't really NEED the big crate... but I have guilt anyway LOL. Auggie is in a new Midwest i-Crate. Payton currently sleeps in a Precision crate in my bedroom at night until we get his tummy stuff figured out. It's actually Pepper's crate, I bought it for her, but, well.

I HAD two N2Ns that I used in the car and in hotels when we traveled. I now have one N2N and one N2N with a HOLE out the side mesh. AUGGIE. So Auggie now has a Varikennel he uses in the car and will use in hotels and stuff, because he is bad. I call it his clamshell. I really don't like it but I don't want him in the car in a wire crate, and I wasn't going to waste my money buying another N2N he would chew out of. *sigh* We've had that thing for YEARS and he never so much as tried to chew it... bad, bad, BAD dog.

jenv101

Bite Club
Those TransK9 look nice!! The price though - gulp... We need something like that, but just the door part for the back of our vehicle so we can keep the back open for air, and still keep Riley contained. Aside from something custom made, there is no crate that we can find that will fit in our Journey, AND be comfortable for Riley the giant freak. :rolleyes:

My husband is going to attempt to get some sort of cage like door custom made by a welder - we shall see how that goes!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have a pink plastic cat kennel I was given when first got Rascal (I wa walking him to the vet in the box he came on, somebody stopped me and gave me it), we use it as Ren's bad boy crate now

FidoFitness

FidoFitness
For some reason my previous post is not showing up. Wanted to reply to the person who said she was waiting for Cleanrun to sell the Variocages. Mighty Mite Dog Gear has them already. You can order from them on line - mightymitedoggear.com

I wish they still made the Varikennels with the dials in larger sizes. They were my fav plastic crates.
I wish they still made them, couldn't find them anywhere. So I bought this instead after getting some recommendation:

It's a Clipper 7. I like it a lot! #1, it's far more sturdy than those Vari kennels they want an outrageous price for at the chain pet stores (I even had a coupon for it, and without it it still cost less!). And #2, I like how easy it is to take apart and put back together, it uses a clamping system. It even has a lock on the door, as I've seen those videos of smart pets escaping these kennels before, but even so the door latch seem pretty escape proof. So far it's help up spectacularly! I would highly recommend this brand, it just happened that a local farm store carried it, but if you can find one get it. You can even add optional attachments to the larger sizes like casters and a pull handler, to make it easier to lug around.

I have a basic single door midwest lifestages crate too that Enda goes into when we're not home, and I take to some shows. It's sturdy, but it's already rusted around one of the latches at a year old, not happy with that. I don't know though as I've seen an inexpensively priced wire crate that didn't eventually rust however.

I also have one of those cheap Remington kennels from the farm store, it was Enda's puppy kennel, and for the smaller sizes as a cheap "growing kennel" or if you have a smaller dog their pretty good. Noods uses it now, he poops on the floor if you don't put him in a kennel at night. But the one thing I hate about it, are the tips of the latches, BADLY did up the back side of my leg on it one day, hate those!

I also bought a cheap $15 fabric folding kennel for Noods, though he'd be a bit more comfy in it over the cold plastic one, and it worked great for the first few months, till one night he threw a random fit and found out how to unzip it...yep you guessed it, poop on the floor the next morning. So it sit aside "in storage" now.

Members online

No members online now.