Yoghurt for pups?

gell914

like once in a while..not everyday..is it harmful to puppies like how milk is?

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
Yer i did feed Lucky Rice and chicken with a spoon full of Yougurt live and its great for him the vet said coz it hasnt got any chemacils or added tjings in it!!

josephine

For puppies milk is good,yogurt also!Just don't put sugar in them...Sugar is a no no for dogs.

Milk is not good for adult dogs,because they are lactose intolerant.

Hope this helps.

Yoghurt is great for dogs. Among other things, perhaps the most important thing it does is help keep the intestinal flora in balance. Like Saje said, just make sure you get yoghurt with active cultures. Whatever you do, DON'T get the kind with artificial sweeteners, like Nutra-sweet (aspartame). It's not good for humans and it's worse for dogs. Mine love any flavor - you should see them with the empty cartons. I always leave at least a spoonful in the bottom. The funniest are the Yoplait cartons - they're smaller at the top and larger at the bottom. The dogs are fun to watch figuring out the easiest way to get that last little bit in the edge.

gell914

but i gave my dog a pack of yoghurt today and he liked it..but then during the evening after he ate dinner he puked the whole dinner out..they're undigested and stil as good as new cept the sticky things around it... well he just got his vaccines last 2 days and going to get another one at feb and the vet gave him some worms tablets..is it related to him puking?

It could very well be related, especially the worm tabs. Feed him in small portions for a few days, and be sure to tell the vet about the puking if it continues.

Don't let him drink large quantities of water all at once either. Smaller quantities more frequently will keep him from getting dehydrated.

candy722

yup yogurt is good but some dogs might not like the taste of it. By the way, do you guys feed your dog flavor yogurt or just regular yogurt?

It's okay if it's cold. Mine eat whatever kind I have, although they aren't too fond of the pineapple. :)

I had some in those squeeze tubes and gave Shiva one the other day - OUTSIDE! Watching her eat that was hysterical. She is so totally involved with her food.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
LOL I would loved to she her little face!!lol
Luckys pulls a silly face as well when he east yogurts!!
lol :D

candy722

I think Toki doesn't really like yogurt cause it's sour. Everytime he licks it once I can see his face shake. IT's funny.

gell914

LOL hahaha i can imagine that..my dog loves yoghurt..i pour it in his bown and he finishes it in 5 min!

hi what does yoghurt do for a dog's digestive system? does it sort of firm up his poo a bit? cos my pup's poo is sometimes pretty soft and can get 'shapeless' if you know what i mean lol..

Saje

Island dweller
You have a puppy don't you, Frenchfries, I think it's normal for them to have softer poo. Anyone else have input on that one?

As for yogurt, it has something called acidophilus which is a good bacteria. It helps balance out the natural flora in our system as well as our dogs. This is paticularly helpful if the dog is on antibiotics because antibiotics kill all bacteria, good and bad, and are very hard on the stomach. It is also helpful in combatting yeast.

What are you feeding your dog? If you tell us that maybe we can help you sort out your poo problems. :)

banzai75x

My puppy has soft poo. I've been feeding him EVO for 3 weeks now. Nothing else, no treats or anything. He loves the food but his poo has remained consistently "pudding like". I was thinking of switching to Innova Puppy but I feel like I should wait it out some more.

Every once in awhile he does have a nice firm one, but onyl 1/10 times.

His schedule is consistent though. Once in the morning and once at night and once more before bedtime.

My puppy is a 7lb, 15wk old cav. king charles.

showpug

I hope all the puppies with "pudding poo" have been checked for wormy poos LOL!!! It is more common than people think and worms cause "pudding poo." My pup is 12 weeks today and he has firm poo and he eats Canidae... :)

I feed my dogs milk, yougurt, cottege cheese and raw eggs. sometimes all mixed sometimes a bit of one or the other. they love it.

As for soft poo, give them bones. if you are not comfortable giving a dog small bones, give em, a knuckle bone. the marrow is perfect for the problem. Probably not appropriate for puppies though.

I've wondered sometimes if it doesn't take some pups longer for their digestive systems to "grow up" than others. Shiva and Kharma had soft, unformed stools for quite awhile, but since it wasn't diarrhea I didn't worry about it. If you think about it, babies don't usually have firm, formed stools for quite a long time . . .

Members online

No members online now.