Potty Training a St. Bernard

stbernard

Hi all experienced trainers. I am trying to potty train a st. bernard pup that is 10 weeks old. She is doing better since I have started this forum. Anyone have extras pointers or have a st. Bernard themselves that have gone through the potty training phase. I am open to all suggestions.

First suggestion from someone with very large Fila puppies: keep a stack of old newspapers handy! Accidents happen and they do tend to be lake-sized, as I guess you've already discovered! :)

stbernard

Does the puppy paper really work?
Missy, my saint, has been using it effectively, but when I bring her inside, she has a few "dribbles" here and there, my guess is that she is excited or bladder hasn't grown much? either way, this is a gr8 experience training.

I just used the paper to sop up the accidents. I did leave some on the floor for Kharma's use when she was still baby enough not to be able to hold it all day, just on the days I had to be out on the road. I left some down at night for her, too, since she wasn't terribly reliable about trying to wake us up if she had to go. I did the same with Shiva. Bimmer and Buffy, our first Fila puppy, spoiled me. Neither one had to be housetrained. They just never, ever went in the house. Ever. It was WONDERFUL!

The dribbles are probably just excitement. Do you stay out with her and play with her for a few minutes after she's done her business? That might help stop the dribbles.

Saje

Island dweller
In the other thread you said that the crate is in the garage? I think that it would be much better is your pup was in the house with you and a part of the family. Put the crate somewhere where she can see you and know that she is not alone. Dogs are very social, pack animals and I really don't like the idea keeping them in the garage. If your dog is happy and part of the family she will be much easier and more willing to learn.

Regarding your water question from the other thread. I've read different things about this. Some people say you should never keep water from your pup (not even at night) others say it won't hurt them to go overnight without it. Personally, unless your nights are really long I wouldn't worry to much about the overnight thing. Do what feels right to you and when she is getting more reliable you can start putting the water back. But during the day I would let her drink as much as she wants. My newfie (another large, hairy breed) drank so much water as a pup. New still does of course but not as frequently. Water is such a vital thing. I wouldn't restrict it for the sake of potty training. That's just my opinion though. Realistically if you gave her water every couple of hours she'd probably do fine.

Saje

stbernard

I am happy to announce we have had progress, slowly, but some. I think keeping on a schedule is working. Thanks all....:)

stbernard

Saja, wanted to reply to your thread about the garage. The garage is attached to my house. BY having the crate in garage gives Missy time to feel she is in her own room. Any answers?

Saje

Island dweller
Still the same answer. I think it's a good thing to make her feel a part of the family. She still has her own room. Her crate is her own room. She'll be able to bond with the family and see what normal behaviour is.

http://www.pethelp.net/crates.html

stbernard

I read the attachement you sent me...tanxs It helped out a bunch. But I guess I'm still missing the boat about Missy beiing in her garage. We bring her inside all day when people are home and she gets loads of attention. My kids and I play w/her all the time and not a minute goes by she is not being loved..:) I do need to introduce walking to her. Yesterday the kids took her walking and she made it one block....she was tired. After the walk she remained in the home and didn't go to her kennel until bedtime.
Now I have read different things about the food. I am feeding Missy IAMS and Pedigree wet food, is this food OK? Or should I switch to another brand? If so, what does everyone recommend? Tanks all...:)

Have you been reading the threads in the Food Forum? There are some good links there that you'll want to check, but I'll start you out here with a good one: www.greatdanelady.com . There are even several articles there that address the specific needs of large puppies, and everything is presented in a real-world manner that is understandable and practical. After all, a feeding program doesn't do your dog any good if it's too complicated to use.

Getting her on a nutritious, non-toxic food will help her stamina greatly, too, as well as decreasing those St. Bernard puppy piles in frequency and size - a real help in housetraining! ;)

Be careful about a puppy in the garage; even though she can't get into the things that are typically found in a garage, she still gets the fumes from those things. We can't smell them, but they are there and they aren't good for a baby. That's one of those things no one ever tells you about. If you keep your car, or any other type of motor or engine driven machinery there it's that much worse.

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks for mentioning that, Renee. About the fumes. I guess I just assumed it was common knowledge, like bleach on the floor. :) I wouldn't live in a garage for that reason. :)

As for feeding your dog Iams. Well, that's the brand I dislike the most. Peta did an "expose" on it. http://www.iamscruelty.com/ and while Peta is, well Peta, there is other evidence to suggest that they treat their animals poorly. The quality of both those foods is debatable to say the least. You will find a lot of information on these threads about it and I suggest you take a look. A puppy that big will consume large amounts of food and you probably want her to have the best she can.

Saje

stbernard

Hi all, I'm back. I have some reading to catchup on. On the keeping Missy in garage thought... I have no vehicles in the garage and it is a remodeled room that I use as my office. I have the garage door still, that is why I refer to it as a the garage. Missy has her own "pen area" and that is why I feel I am not locking her away, just in her room. I am usually always around her and the kids are also once they return from school. This weekend I had to go out of town for a conference and she was at the sitters while I was gone. I dislike doing that, but when I have to go out of town the vet takes excellent care of animals.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, it sounds like you are comfortable and confident with keeping her there so I'm sure it will go well.

my Saint is having a hard time potty breaking also. :( She doesn't bark so there fore we don't know she needs out. Really good when we are up but at night we have a lake in the morning. :eek: She is not crated per-say. We have her gated in a area of her own in the house.

Saje

Island dweller
Maybe the key with her, Nitewarrior, would be to set an alarm and take her out at least once during the night. I know it's horrible to wake up in the middle of a good sleep but it will help her learn to go outside. She may just no have the control to make it through the night yet. How old is she?

stbernard

HI Nitewarrior, I also have a saint bernard and attempting to potty train. Missy is eleven weeks old and doing better each day on crete training. I have been following the website and advice Saja sent me and it has helped. I believe the key to a saint and any other breed is to keep them on a schedule and follow it to a "T". At the end of the day, I put Missy in her pen for the night and put down puppy paper. And she does have to go during the night, but she goes on the paper. SO far (Knock on wood) she has been doing wonderful. I might try getting up in the middle of the night to try and eliminate the puppy paper, but I'm trying this for now. How is your Saint? Male/female?

Members online

No members online now.